Let's Talk Politics...or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirby

Destined to serve and roam.
Registered
Reaction score
NOTE: This is not a debate over the candidates, but rather a philosophical question.

This generated an interesting discussion on another writer's forum. Do you think it's okay for an author (new/veteran/both) to express his/her political viewpoint? It might be legal, but is it wise? With so many blogs, should a writer hold back?

Which do you agree with more:

1) It's a free country, and if you don't like how I feel, get over yourself. There are plenty of other readers who will agree with me.

or

2) I'm in the business to sell books/stories/scripts and if expressing my political views cost me even one reader, my lips are sealed.

I do have my opinion on this matter, but I'll share once others have been given the chance to think about it and talk.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I think the old adage holds true: Never discuss religion, sex or politics. If you do, it's at your peril. Posting strong beliefs about these subjects on your blog is as risky as bringing them up at the dinner table.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I say blog away--just as long as you are willing to accept to consequences of your words. If you hold forth on hot topics (religion, politics, etc...), you will piss off some people. It's up to you what it's worth.

Me personally? I'm pretty cautious about what I discuss on my blog. I don't give too much personal information because

a) It's personal;

b) Why should anyone give a flip what my views on politics are? I'm not likely to sway them to my position based on a blog post; and

c) I'm not in the business of driving off potential readers.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Any reader who wouldn't want to read my work simply because my opinions on a certain subject don't correlate with theirs is a reader I don't want to have.

Of course, there are exceptions even to this. I for instance, would never read anything by a white supremacist/anti semite/whatever. However, there is a difference between blindly hating and scapegoating people different from yourself and simply stating your educated, well informed opinion on, say, abortion.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any reader who wouldn't want to read my work simply because my opinions on a certain subject don't correlate with theirs is a reader I don't want to have.

Of course, there are exceptions even to this. I for instance, would never read anything by a white supremacist/anti semite/whatever. However, there is a difference between blindly hating and scapegoating people different from yourself and simply stating your educated, well informed opinion on, say, abortion.

I'll be happy to take those readers off your hands. I want all of them, but I'm greedy that way.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Readers who would be offended by my opinions on religion, sex, and politics would be offended by my stories anyway, so it's not a real dilemma for me. (in my signature, story #1 is about...you guessed it, sex. Story #2 is about politics. Story #4: sex. Story #5: religion.)

Kirby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a journalist during the day and fiction writer at night. I wouldn't dare speak how I feel. The media takes the lumps during election years, but I for one remain middle of the road. Not even my co-workers can figure me out and I prefer it that way.

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't blog.

I don't express any political sentiments on my website.

If asked during an interview to promote my work, I simply reply that my political views are not valid to the discussion.

But all that is my personal choice. In my personal life, I support the candidates I believe in.

Would I speak out in a cause I felt was important, even knowing that would cost me some readers? I have and undoubtedly will again.

We all make those decisions and choices.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have no blog, I have no manuscript. However, my day job, which pays all the bills, requires me to stay in the good graces of clients and potential clients. So I do not discuss my views on politics, religion, sexual orientation, or other 'hot button' issues. And if said clients or potential clients express views diametrically opposed to mine, I just let it slide off.

MM

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I don't worry about these things. I'm not known. Also, I think people are smart enough to separate my work from my personal life and beliefs and politics. I tend not to mix politics with literature, and even if my views seep into my work, they're all in the context of the story. Now, if someone doesn't like those views, they sure can stop reading my books. I am not going to worry about that.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
I would have said "oh, they can separate it" a week ago.

But I'm getting my author website up and so was looking at other successful writers' sites to get ideas.

A writer I really like has the front page given over to what I can only call political diatribe. I didn't want to read it -- it was hugely long and I realized I didn't care what he thought about anything, but more than that, as a reader, I just didn't want to KNOW. I didn't want to see something that could make me so hot for whatever reason that it would color how I read his books in the future.

So, I'm now firmly on the side of keep it neutral, because I don't want to turn off any readers over something that I know I can't influence anyway (I'm not a believer that celebrity endorsements do anything more than get a candidate money).

Oh, and as for how people perceive you when they know nothing much about your personal views and how drastically that can change once they truly know how you think? I have two words of caution: Tom Cruise.

(Oh, and Cranky and SoccerMom? All those extras are mine, but I'll share. ;))

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
lol. This thread just reminded me of my very first rejection. From my school's literary magazine. (Seriously, who gets rejected by those????)

Anyway, I was told my short story was very well written but too political. Its okay tho. I'm over it. When I get published and start raking in the pennies, we'll see who has the last laugh.

Tachyon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tachyondecay.net
I live in Canada. It doesn't matter, because no one cares about my opinion! :p

I don't blog much about American politics. I'll talk about American politics in the context of international news. Sometimes I talk about Canadian politics. Often I'll talk about other "controversial" subjects.

To me, as a reader, an author is separate from his or her works, whether or not the author embeds his or her beliefs in a story. It doesn't matter if I agree with the author's beliefs or even if I agree with the themes of the books--I read books because they are good stories. Getting exposed to an alternative point of view is just a bonus. It would be boring if I only read books by people who agree with me on an issue.

Of course, I realize that not everyone thinks that way. I'm not in the publishing game to make money--I'd like to become a published author and make a little money, but not at the price of having to remain neutral. I doubt that I'll ever be well known enough or extreme enough in my views for it to be a problem.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
What if it was a fight between Obama and Hockey Mom? And Obama had a basketball, but Hockey Mom had a hockey stick. And pucks.

Obama would still kick her butt.

What if she had a pit bull with lipstick?

What kind of lipstick?

Chanel Rouge Hydrobase Creme in Coco Red.

Then she'd kick his butt.

Yeah.

Heh heh. You said pucks.

Wait! I didn't type that! Pundits have taken over my fingers and my color selector...

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
I have no blog yet, but I would avoid discussing politics and religion with strangers except that which appears in my fiction.

On AW, it is relaxation and blood sport for me.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have no blog yet, but I would avoid discussing politics and religion with strangers except that which appears in my fiction.

On AW, it is relaxation and blood sport for me.

Ditto. I don't think I've ever discussed politics on my blogs. I know I've been tempted, but I don't. I try to stick to writing related stuff, period. I don't want to know most author's politics, and I don't want to bore potential readers with mine, either. Well, bore or antagonize them, anyway.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I have posted a few on my blog, but they're mostly neutral and playing both sides, or observations. In real life I try to see both sides anyway, and debate the pros and cons. I suppose if you want to pick at it and attack my views, you can always do that. It doesn't matter if it's politics or religion or the color of my hair. But I assume that my readers, at least those who would like my books, are intelligent, thinking people and they'd at least understand what I'm getting at without picking it apart.

To me, my blog is an open book about me and not some marketing ploy. And I don't like to present myself as "generic." So to me, either I decide to open up or I don't. And if I decide to open up, then you should know about what my views are on various topics. I think -- like me or not -- that would at least make me more interesting.

I'm not an extremist anyway. So I think I'm safe.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
When I was a full-time artist, I was very careful about what I said in public; when calling a political candidate an idiot, you are indirectly calling all who voted for that candidate idiots as well, thus offending them ... is that necessary?

Here? No one knows who I am, so I can say what I want. Mostly.:tongue

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
When I was a full-time artist, I was very careful about what I said in public; when calling a political candidate an idiot, you are indirectly calling all who voted for that candidate idiots as well, thus offending them ... is that necessary?

But there are ways of talking about politics without using defamatory language. No? To me, it's all about presentation and not just what you say, but how you say it. We are writers so I think whether you're writing about vampires or the President of the United States, you have to consider your readers.

To me, if I see someone present their views graciously and thoughtfully, it doesn't matter if I don't agree with them -- I'm still impressed. And I would definitely buy their books.

Just my opinion.

Kirby

Registered
Reaction score
You guys are wonderful. What a great discussion.

On the other website I frequent the appearance of bias was mentioned. Even if you don't come right out supporting one candidate, if you don't choose your words carefully, the appearance of bias can be present.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
I know what you mean, Maestro. Views will always come out in one's writing and actions. There is nothing wrong with that.

What I'm referring to is blatantly coming out in a public place (TV, radio, forums) and saying something like, "Bush is a moron". Or "Barack is ignorant". Odds are half your potential fans will be deeply offended by this, and recoil from you, because they are emotionally invested in that politician.

Another example is how the majority of the Hollywood celebs think it's so "cool" to call Bush names in public. In doing so, they are pissing off and alienating over half the country, who voted for him -twice.

Or on a more personal level, a lady who is a published author said something downright rude and close-minded about me once in a thread (I've seen her say the same thing to other people, so I know it's her, and not me). I won't ever bother to read her books, and if I see someone reading one, I'm likely to say, "I've had an encounter with that author, and she's not nice."

Personally, I have two persona's. One is private, in which I can argue about politics all I want, and be blunt 'til my hearts content. My other persona is public, in which I'm very guarded, because it's the persona that needs to sell books/art.

Sigh. May the two never meet in public!:D

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
It is a very personal choice of course. It also depends what you write.

For me I know I'd rather not know too much about an actor because I'd much rather watch them play the part, be the character. I kind of feel the same way with authors. If you know their political, religious etc background, it can't help but inform what you read when you read their work, even if the author had no intention to put in their political or religious beliefs.

At least for me.

I also think sometimes it's none of anyone else's business what I think. I like a good debate, but I don't need the internet for it. I can do it with my friends, family, whoever. It's nice to keep some things private I think. I don't want the world knowing everything about me.

Some people do.

It's all a matter of choice.

Edmontonian

Registered
Reaction score
You have to make a stand...

NOTE: This is not a debate over the candidates, but rather a philosophical question.

This generated an interesting discussion on another writer's forum. Do you think it's okay for an author (new/veteran/both) to express his/her political viewpoint? It might be legal, but is it wise? With so many blogs, should a writer hold back?

Which do you agree with more:

1) It's a free country, and if you don't like how I feel, get over yourself. There are plenty of other readers who will agree with me.

or

2) I'm in the business to sell books/stories/scripts and if expressing my political views cost me even one reader, my lips are sealed.

I do have my opinion on this matter, but I'll share once others have been given the chance to think about it and talk.

Edmontonian

Registered
Reaction score
You have to make a stand...

...for what you believe. It's not politics to have an opinion about the right to own weapons, abortion, health care and other issues that are most often associated with "politics," but which concern all citizens. Most authors in a way or another find a way to channel their beliefs into their works.

Thanks,

ED

Status
Not open for further replies.