Is Time on my side?

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
:banana: Greetings!

How long should one wait before contacting an agent after one has sent a partial manuscript (at the agent's request, of course)?

Or, to be more precise: How long should one wait before pulling all of one's hair out while waiting for a response from an agent after one has sent a partial manuscript (at the agent's request, of course)?

Is no news usually good news? Or is no news ... just no news?

My hairstylist and I thank you in advance for your insight --

IWrite

Registered
Reaction score
No news is usually just no news.

If the agent didn't ask for an exclusive continue to query other agents.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Waiting

smallthunder said:
:banana: Greetings!

How long should one wait before contacting an agent after one has sent a partial manuscript (at the agent's request, of course)?

Or, to be more precise: How long should one wait before pulling all of one's hair out while waiting for a response from an agent after one has sent a partial manuscript (at the agent's request, of course)?

Is no news usually good news? Or is no news ... just no news?

My hairstylist and I thank you in advance for your insight --

There is no standard answer. It all depends on the individual agent. The wait can be two weeks or six months. If there's nothing in the guidelines, just do your best. If there is a wiating period mentioned in the guidelines, double it.

If it's a top agent, be patient. Forget about the submission and bury yourself in your next project. What you've submitted is now largely out of your control. Working on your next book is under your control.

Tim

Registered
Reaction score
the waiting is the hardest part

Jamesaritchie said:
There is no standard answer. It all depends on the individual agent. The wait can be two weeks or six months.

I'll have to agree with Jamesaritchie here. I've queried several agents who have asked for more material. Some got back to me in a matter of two weeks. Others took three months. There's no way to tell. The best advice is to be patient.

And if you must contact them, the best standard is to find out what their wait period is--check their website or listing in Jeff Herman's guide. Don't contact them before the end of that period, and then start with e-mail contact first. It is the least intrusive and allows them to get back to you at their convenience.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Yup, no news is no news. It could be six weeks. It could be six months. I have one who still hasn't gotten back to me, and it's been 14 months.

Meanwhile, write your next book, and keep sending out queries and partials and mss when they're requested. Don't waste time dwelling on one particular agent.