YA Fantasy Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nateskate

I'm doing an extensive re-write of a grand fantasy, which I'm hoping to submit by years end. (Book one of a series) The more I look at it, the more I think it would fit in a YA Genre.

At first I considered it an adult fantasy, but even so, for whatever reason, I made the cheif protagonist a fifteen year old who was unaware that he was chosen for a task. Obviously, this task is unimaginable, with the fate of humankind hanging in the balance. He wrestles a great deal with this call, wondering why someone greater, wiser, older, wasn't chosen. His father died when he was three, and in the midst of his temptation to reject his call, he learns that his mother's life is in imminent danger, and if he does not act, she will die before he has a chance to see her again.

Upon this journey he is taken to places that humans are not aware of, and learns that there is another realm that co-exists with our own, and the benevolent forces of the unseen world saw a quality in him, setting him apart from others.

In effect, life is like a giant chess match, with the seen and the unseen switching places as players and pawns. The protagonist must learn the rules of the game, because the malevolent unseen forces have the upper hand as long as mankind is ignorant of the rules of the game, which they are.

Now, the majority of human characters (There are many) are adults, with the exception of orphaned twins.

1) Would a fifteen year old protagonist in such a situation justify this being categorized as YA? In my mind, it is a Grand Fantasy that would appeal to a LOTR maturity level audience. But since LOTR appealed to young people, I figured the story could go either way- Adult or YA.

2) Who are the best YA publishers to deal with. (Who deal with fantasy) At first I was leaning towards Tor and Del, and Avalon, but that was when I was thinking "Adult" fantasy. I'm not sure they are best for YA though.

3) Can anyone suggest a good/honest/hardworking agent to submit to? You can PM me their names if you wish.

BlackHolly

1)

Having a 15 year old protagonist suggests that your book *could* be YA, but the thing that differentiates young adult fantasy from adult fantasy is that YA fantasy deals with issues that are relevant to a teenage audience. Additionally, YA books are relatively fast-paced and (usually) shorter in length.

Nateskate

Re: 1)

I think it has enough to relate to a teen audience.

1) Can anyone recommend an agent that deals with YA Fantasy? I haven't sent out queries yet. I'd rather begin with a trusted name if anyone knows someone. Obviously, I'm not asking for a recommendation or anything. (PM me if you don't want to list it on the board.

2) Also, do you recommend any particular publishers from this Genre.

Risseybug

Sound a lot like the Seventh Tower series by Garth Nix. Except that the boy's father turns out to be not dead, only held captive. But the mother's health is failing, and he has to go to the shadow realm to fix everything.

Not that your story is exactly like that, but the bits you outlined here remind me of that story. It's also a grand fantasy, set in another world. I like that series, by the way, so your story is off to a good start. You might want to peruse it briefly.

And there are lots of publishers, big and small, that publish stuff like you are writing. The Seventh Tower is published by LucasBooks, a division of Lucas Films. Go to the bookstore, look at the books like yours, and write down the publishers.

Elizabeth Genco

As for finding agents, why not do a little research on your own? Hang out at the bookstore some afternoon, checking out books that are similar to yours. Agents are often listed in the acknowledgements. Check out the web pages of authors who write similar material -- sometimes they mention their agent in a FAQ section. Pick up a few issues of LOCUS, they have a section in the front listing things like books sold and by whom.

Nateskate

Thanks Risseybug and Elizabeth, I appreciate your advice and comments.

I'll look into Lucas next time I'm in B&N

As for finding agents, why not do a little research on your own? Hang out at the bookstore some afternoon, checking out books that are similar to yours. Agents are often listed in the acknowledgements. Check out the web pages of authors who write similar material -- sometimes they mention their agent in a FAQ section. Pick up a few issues of LOCUS, they have a section in the front listing things like books sold and by whom.

You are right. And I am doing my homework. But this is akin to asking the teacher for the answers to the test. If she's willing to give it, I'm willing to take it. Honestly, I have done a good deal of homework on agents, queries, and submissions. Yet, I'm still in my planning phase.

As far as leafing through books for agent names, I was doing that with Adult fantasy books, checking for agents in the acknowledgments. But being an adult (male) I'd feel awefully weird hanging out in the Young Adult book section of Barnes and Nobles with the Young Adults. To me that would be as awkward as wearing a male thong on the beach. I'd look out of place. "Excues me 6'8 sir with the graying hairs and the gotee, are you lost? Aren't you a little old to be reading children's literature!"

But I do appreciate your advice, and will check out LOCUS, which is something I haven't done yet.

Elizabeth Genco

LOCUS is a great resource on a number of different levels, and I'd say it's definitely a must-read (or at least a must-browse -- you might get a bit bogged down if you read *every* word) for aspiring speculative fiction writers. And it's fun! Their interviews are really great.

As for looking out of place in a YA section of the bookstore, um... forgive me for what might sound glib, but, well... get over it. :) It's not that big a deal; chances are good that folks are so wrapped up in thinking about themselves that they're going to even notice you. And children's lit is the good stuff! There are plenty of adults that read it, I know 'em!

Anyhoo. Best of luck to you. I know you'll enjoy LOCUS.

Nateskate

Glib? Nah, I appreciate your perspective.

I'm a good hearted guy, and have worked with kids in various capacities when I was younger, and raised my own children who are now 23 and 21. And I always had a heart for kids, especially fatherless kids, and would go out of my way if they wanted someone to pay attention to them, which all kids need and want. However, if you befriended kids, and just acted kind to them, every once in awhile people would give you the hairy eyeball of suspician. That never happens with women. It used to break my heart, but you realize society has gotten a bit jaded due to what's out there.

Elizabeth Genco

Ah, I get where you're coming from. Never thought of that.

* ponder *

Well, hrm. Maybe go really really late when nobody's around? :)

Nateskate

I probably shouldn't think about it. People shop there for neices and nephews all of the time. One time I was shopping for a fantasy book called the Shadowmancer, which I saw an artical on, and couldn't find it. They ended up taking me over to the children's section. I guess that's where the Harry Potter books are as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.