I'm drunk and stupid, can I sue somebody?

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Within this modest hamlet, there are three individuals who have filed a lawsuit against two of the local taverns and the tavern owners.

These three fine fellows attest that said taverns did serve alcohol to another of their mates, whereupon said mate did become intoxicated, and attempted to drive his vehicle away.

These three fine fellows attest that they suffered serious bodily and emotional injury as a result of these tavern's actions.

Because they were in the car.

Not the car the intoxicated driver hit. The car he was driving.

They voluntarily got in the car and let drunk guy drive them home.

Even written in modestly quaint goofi-eeze, these guys sound like morons.

Oh, and they aren't suing drunk guy. Just the taverns. (My guess is their lawyers already know that drunk guy is broke.)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(My guess is their lawyers already know that drunk guy is broke.)

Indeed which is why the lawyers will go after the DEEPEST pocket, whether that be insurance co, etc...
hugs

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They should have stopped at McDonald's for some very hot coffee on their way home.

ajkjd01

I just have to be faster.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.addiejking.wordpress.com
I second Kimmi's statement. Tavern owners have deeper pockets and likely insurance coverage. That's why they're being sued.

And yeah, I think it's stupid, but there are a lot of laws that hold liquor permit holders responsible for serving intoxicated people. And that's where this lies.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any person who is

A:Stupid enough to drink and drive

B: Drive with a known drunk driver

deserves to not only receive a swift kiss in the ass but have the paper they filed thier lawsuit on torn in two stuffed up each nostril.

Last edited:

ajkjd01

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Any person who is

A:Stupid engough to drink and drive

B:Drive with a known drunk driver

deserves to not only receive a swift kiss in the ass but have the paper they filed thier lawsuit on torn in two stuffed up each nostril.

I love the visual image I'm getting of this. This is going to sustain me for days at work.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They should have stopped at McDonald's for some very hot coffee on their way home.

Just stopping in to casually point out that the McDonald's coffee lawsuit was entirely valid. Details here.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I vote we send the attorneys for the bars a case of champagne for when they will WIN this case!

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
So here's what I'm thinking.

These guys sue the tavern owners for serving (the suit doesn't say over serving, btw, just serving) Mr. Drunk Driver.
The tavern owner can then sue Mr. Drunk Driver for exposing them to liability for letting these three idiots in his car, and then driving drunk.
And Mr. Drunk Driver can sue the three guys for letting him drive drunk. (After all, if they left together, the Tavern Owners have no way of knowing who was driving who home.)

And so, we have a perfect circle of litigation, and the only ones who win (because it's cheaper to settle) are the lawyers.

ETA: I should have said, these two lawyers.

(Sorry AJ, you're one of the good guys. I know it and you know it. In this particular case, I've known the two lawyers involved for a long time. They are what gives the profession a bad name.)

Last edited:

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I really enjoy the part where they blame the tavern rather than taking issue that their friend was driving drunk and they got in the car with said friend.

This kind of stuff is what is wrong with people.

ajkjd01

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hey, no worries, Williebee...I understand the argument they're making...I don't agree with it, but I get where they're coming from.

Could be worse. They could be suing Budweiser.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score