I've been watching the On-The-Spot posts by KTC

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Some of you have this amazing ability to pump out a considerable amount of content within 5 min. Are you actually compliant with the 5 min. time frame or do you disregard it?

If complaint, then I can hang onto the hope that I may some day be able to produce as much. If noncomplaint then I figure maybe I am doing ok already.

What it comes down to is this, I am not satisfied with the amount of time it takes me to write. It could be that there are no obstacles and I will have to live with the time it takes me. Either way, I'd like to find out.

What can I do to help myself discover the obstacles (if any) that slow me down and what can I do to help myself get beyond them?

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Gehenna,

The first thing I would advise is not to worry about it. If you're just starting as a writer, it will take time to learn what works for you. Your speed will gradually increase as you exercise your writing muscles. Don't try and run a marathon or win the 100 yard dash before you've learned how to run!

For now, if all you can turn out in five minutes of writing is one short sentence, remember that you've written more in that five minutes than most people write all day. Be proud of yourself for trying!

As for me, some days, I can pump out an amazing amount of text (my record is 9,000 words in six hours) and some days my head feels like it's stuffed with cotton wool and I can't write a grocery list.

For what it's worth, this is my "method":

I spend a very large amount of time "just thinking." The six hour binge was preceeded by three days of no writing, just thinking about the project. Then I sat down and put the headings down in bold (I was writing non-fiction) and then I filled in the headings. I made sure that I had all of the reference materials I would need, a pile of snacks, and my favourite caffeine-laden drinks close at hand. The bathroom is only a few steps away from my computer, so I don't take a lot of time out for breaks. Then I sat down and wrote. But it was all in my head ready to come out before I even turned on the computer.

It also helps that I have good keyboarding skills, and my spelling is good enough so that I don't need to use the spellcheck function until it's time to proof the finished product. This is something I've developed over time, and the more you write, the better you will get at these skills.

So that's my method. When it works, it works very well. But several days out of my week are non-writing days, because I need the time off to think.

If anyone else has a writing method that works for them, here is a great place to share!

Blessings to all,

Ruth

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
After reading the replies here so far I just realized, I have got to stop picking my thoughts apart. I need to just get them out and then I can pick them apart, edit them or whatever.

This is good for me. Thanks for the responses so far!

Sincerely,
Gehanna