Round 3: The Peanut Gallery

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Dang! Jenna's not giving them a moment's rest, is she? You have to start the entry with one of two sentences? That's, that's tough. I mean, outside of the contest, people do things like that all the time as a starting point or a jumping off point, but if it doesn't work later, you get to delete it. But that's not Jenna's rules.

Hmmm.... Wonder if the readers will get glossy-eyed reading the same opening sentences over and over and over again....

:Cheers: :popcorn:

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
Oooooh! Brilliant! I'm wondering now, will the required first sentence stifle the contestants, or inspire them? There were several of them who were struggling last week, trying to think of something to write. Will this make it easier? I can't wait to find out!

Melina

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Geez, I didn't mean you had to stop ;) (I don't like killing anything, even threads)

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Reph, I do hope you're saving these usage tips somewhere. They're excellent. And someday, we're going to have a real live grammar board for you to put 'em on.

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
astonwest said:
Although maybe we'll have to set it up like the Price is Right. The closest piece to 100 without going over...
But then we'd have to guess the correct word count, wouldn't we? :idea: "953!"

What about a Jeopardy round, in which each contestant picks her own category (first come, first serve): "I'll take Paleontology for 800 words, Jenna. No, wait. I'd rather take Crypts of Note [famous musicians' interrment places] for 1200... What do you mean, Haskins already took that one?!"

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
astonwest said:
Next week, you'll have to start with the word 'Hominy' and finish in 100 words...just warning everyone up front...

:)

"Hominy! Yum, yum. Nobody cooks hominy like my Aunt Martha.":Coffee: If I don't get enough hominy in my diet, I get:Hammer:. My friends don't like to be around me because I'm always:Headbang: . Everyone needs to :popcorn: hominy once in a while. Even if it does taste like:horse: .

S orry. Newbies shouldn't be :poke:smarta$$, but I couldn't resist. :wag:

Last edited:

DJP

pounding away at the piano..
Registered
Reaction score
Finally, someone found somewhere to use the horse smilie! That brings to mind a story. When I was in Switzerland, my host mom cooked steak for supper. AFTER the meal was done, she fessed up that we'd eaten horse, imported from Canada, no less!:faint:

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going out of town this weekend, and next week I'll be busy, so I went ahead and posted my entry tonight. :)

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
We're all speed queens this week, aren't we? I have mine written, just finished, but I need to let it sit a day to proofread. It should be up tomorrow night.

Congrats you two! Let's make the guys feel REALLY slow this week!

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe I was able to come up with something that fast. Last week I didn't even have a workable idea until the day before the deadline.

Good luck everyone!

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
Eh, don't be freaked out by how quickly I write. See, unlike other people in this contest, I don't have a life. I don't have anything better to do with my time. No kids to worry about, my husband is more than able to keep himself entertained, I don't have a full time job, I skipped my classes this week...there'd be something wrong if I didn't get any writing done....