Querying an Agent that Rejected

Kirby

Destined to serve and roam.
Registered
Reaction score
The first agent I queried for my novel requested a full read. I received the friendliest rejection a writer could ask for, which included a critique. She said good luck with finding an agent, which I understand means move along. I have since rewritten the novel and incorporated her suggestions. Is it in poor taste to send her a new query? I queried her last December (2007) and here it is September 2008. She's a respected agent in the business and I wouldn't mind having her represent my work. Another agent has requested a partial read, which I'm waiting for a reply.

Last edited:

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I'm assuming you queried many more agents than the first and the one who requested your partial. If not, and assuming you are more than satisfied with your query letter--query,query, and query. Rejections are to be expected. All of us have all received our share of them. If you receive any personalized rejections with critiques that make sense to you, consider rewriting your query letter to make it as good as you can. It's the most forward and important thing you have in your attempt to land an agent.

No harm in sending another query to the first agent. All she can say is no!

ezc_19

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with scope, what can you lose? On a side note, I think you got your years mixed up. I started panicking, thinking that I've been in coma or something.

Kirby

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Scope and ezc_19. Sorry about the years lol. I've been working on a project here on the job and due dates were flying around.

My query has changed since my first letter was sent. I'm constantly revising that and the synopsis.

Thank you again.

Danthia

I'd re-query. You lose nothing by trying and it's been a long time since the first. Worst case she says no.

Kirby

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Danthia.

Madisonwrites

The Unicorn Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madisonlovestowrite.blogspot.com
I've heard that agents don't like it when you re-query something they have already rejected (and I've been doing a LOT of research). But let me quote literary agent Nathan Bransford on this topic, "Will I really remember?"

Kirby

Registered
Reaction score
Lol, Madison. I really don't want to make enemies in the business, but I was also wondering if she would actually remember me. I spoke with an author that had queried agents with no success. He shelved the book for three years and then requeried the same agents. He received several offers and took one. What a finicky business we're in lol.

HannaRay

Registered
Reaction score
HannaRay

Hi Kirby,

I re-queried my agent after two years. She remembered my story, and after the usual back & forth, I signed on with her in November of '07. She sold my novel to Ballentine/Random House in March of this year.

So, I wouldn't hesitate to re-query, particularly now that you've incorporated her changes. It's a compliment to her.

Best of luck to you,

Hanna

Kirby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, HannaRay and veinglory. And congratulations, HannaRay. That must be a good feeling. For me, it hasn't been two years. More like nine months. But as you all have said, what do I have to lose?