Charles Reznihoff

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
"Reznikoff devoted his entire life to verse, and whatever he did is characterized by meticulously fine and painstaking craftmanship. His music is a city music....and his rhetoric one that honors the city and its people by not doing violence to them, not exploiting them as materials for language. In the care and precision of his lines, people and objects maintain their own lives. This is a moral point, and Reznikoff is a moral poet." - From the back of the book.

The thing I like about his style is that while he writes longer poems, he writes a lot of shorter ones as well and does an excellent job with both.IMO.

His short poems are often haiku like, yet different. I think you will like reading Reznikoff if you have not. your library should have it or can get it for you.

Last edited:

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
he didn't Google, but I'll check him out next time I'm at the library.

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
I ordered it from Amazon.com after getting it from my library. It should show on Amazon with some reviews. The book I have is "The Poems of Charles Reznikoff,1918-1975 edited by Seamus Cooney 445 pages. I payed $21.95.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
thanks for the links

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
C. Reznikoff was "an american original, a blood and bone New Yorker...". From the back of the book. These are not translations. Poems in his own words.

Coolibah

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I thought being a while back, he may have written in his native tongue is all, S ... Yiddish I were thinking. All I could find was alien audio's of him.... which I ignore!

The written word says more to me is all, S.

I'll flog google some more and see what else of his is out there.