• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Please Help! Need Advice On Writers Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelle21

Banned
Reaction score
Website
home.bellsouth.net
Dear Fellow Writer:

Hello I'm new to writing Novels I have always written Poetry but lately it seen like I can't write anymore. I'm working on a new Novel its about a girl name Sea Holliewell and her family. Sea just lost her father to a terrible crime by Nath's being the Sheriff to a small town he was likable and indored by everyone. Nath was known for his kindness and his honesty to everybody and he loved to dance so evert Friday and Saturday him and Sea would go dancing for a father and daughter days out but when his friend Max accused another man from raping his daughter Nate tried to talk to him and tell him its going to be ok just put them gun down. Nate thought he could talk to Max because he was his friend and Max wouldn't hurt a fly if it flew on his hand in bit him but Max turned around and shot Nath in cold blood while his daughter was standng there then turned around in took his life. I don't know what else to write because there's mre to the story then this but I just wanted to give you all a picture of the story to hel me overcolm writers block with the story. I know what I want to say but I just can't put it into writing maybe because I got alot of things going on I'm trying to figure out. I wanted to know what can I do to overcolme writers blocked? Someone please answer back

Torin

Wandering vaguely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cebarrett.com
If you're having a hard time starting with the beginning, pick a scene that's clear in your mind and write that. Then pick another scene which you can see clearly and write that. Keep doing that until you can pick up the opening and when you're done, put all your scenes together in coherent order and fill in the blanks. Not a conventional method, perhaps, but it has worked for me. :)

Good luck.

JDCrayne

Indonesian Yak Keeper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pacificsites.com
Torin said:
If you're having a hard time starting with the beginning, pick a scene that's clear in your mind and write that. Then pick another scene which you can see clearly and write that.

I do that, but with dialog blocks. It works well if you can think of conversation between a couple of people in the story. Write down that chunk of dialog and then go on to another one. Put the dialog chunks in chronological order and fill in the descriptions and transitions later. If there is a strong emotional scene -- like the shooting described above -- it's not usually too hard to imagine what might be said... even if it's only "Arrrrggggg!!" lol!

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Grab a notebook, step back, and start by outlining blocks. Just insert what takes place here and then this follows, and pretty soon dialog and sequences will start popping up and you'll be able to fill them in and expand them. If you are having trouble with a particular section, book mark it, skip to one you have a good handle on, then go back to it and puzzle it out with the knowledge that this is the last thing you have to do and you are done. If it unblocks sooner, then there you go.

Redd Ryden

I'm the Head-ParrotHead!
Registered
Reaction score
Where's the party???-- I got the KEY to the cage--
Chelle--

Okay. Here's what I do: First I call the fragmented file up on the screen, copy it (making it "WonderfulFile2" or some such, and saving #1 file), then I call up a small screen of Spider Solitaire (minimizing it and maximizing it as I write). If I get stuck, I play a game, if I win, I get to write the next sentence, if I lose, I get to write the next sentence. It's win-win all the way! (seriously, "step out" of your writing and "turn it on its head"-- look at it every which way possible-- works for me) Good luck!

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
I find pulling a household bill from the pile, at random, gives me all the push I need.

Even if you don't do this for a living, or your spouse/significant-other supports the household, it's still a good way to motivate yourself, because if you do your thing, you take some of the load of them.

Of course, if it's just for entertaining yourself and you never intend to go for anything other than the massive achievement of just doing it (no small thing in and of itself), don't beat yourself up. Maybe you just need to take a bath, or a walk, or whatever do to get a little peace, take your characters with you and just let them talk to you. They'll tell you EVERYTHING you need to know. Don't try and write for them. Listen and transcribe.

LucindaLynx

Registered
Reaction score
That is the way it goes

Maybe you just need to take a bath, or a walk, or whatever do to get a little peace, take your characters with you and just let them talk to you. They'll tell you EVERYTHING you need to know. Don't try and write for them. Listen and transcribe.

Hi Wordmonkey!
That's exactly how it goes! Or actually...there is one woman standing between me and my characters. And that woman is my muse, Gisela. My characters reveal everything to Gisela first, and then she reveals to me what my characters have told her. I know it sounds crazy, but that's the way it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.