Shotgun Wounds and/or Leg wounds

Hummingbird

Pen, Paper, Prepared. ...Write!
Registered
Reaction score
My original thought for something in my story is a character being shot by a shotgun in the legs and the legs end up being mangled and practically unusable.

What I need help with is - can this be done with a shotgun or should something else be used?

A shotgun fired at point-blank I can imagine would make the character's legs need to be amputated or amputated from the impact.

The ultimate result I am needing is the character's legs be injured from afar to the point of barely being able to stand - barely walking would work too - but for the character to keep his legs.

Any suggestions on how to do this or information about shotguns?

Thanks everyone!! :D

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely. 12 gauge loaded with buckshot would definately do it (totally mangled). As would several other configurations. Now if you want him to keep his legs and walk again, probably should pick a smaller shot size. Although doctors can work miracles these days.

I vote for size 6 shot from point blank. See guide here: http://www.shotgunworld.com/amm.html

Note that point blank would obviously not affect his whole leg as the shot would have no time to spread out, about 12 feet away might be better. Anyone have a chart that shows how fast various shots spread out?

Whoops: I see one at the bottom of that web page. 10 inches for full choke at 10 yards.

Last edited:

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
If you were confined to a room and used buckshot, you'd likely take one or both legs off.
Firing birdshot from across the room or up to 10 yards away will knock him down with a direct hit to the legs. It would be disabling but not fatal. Even birdshot, at point blank range can be fatal. I investigated two of those homicides.

As a kid, I got chased out of a farmer's orchard when he unloaded a double barrel of birdshot at us from about 40 yards. I got hit with a couple of pellets. They're like BB's but with a lot more force behind them. It hurt when they hit. They stuck in my skin but I was able to pick them out with my fingernails and there was no bleeding.

Hummingbird

Pen, Paper, Prepared. ...Write!
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome information - thank you!! :D

HammerKlavier: Thanks for the website as well!

This information definitely helps with figuring out what to use in my story. :snoopy: Thanks so much! :Sun:

Mike Martyn

Registered
Reaction score
If you were confined to a room and used buckshot, you'd likely take one or both legs off.
Firing birdshot from across the room or up to 10 yards away will knock him down with a direct hit to the legs. It would be disabling but not fatal. Even birdshot, at point blank range can be fatal. I investigated two of those homicides.

As a kid, I got chased out of a farmer's orchard when he unloaded a double barrel of birdshot at us from about 40 yards. I got hit with a couple of pellets. They're like BB's but with a lot more force behind them. It hurt when they hit. They stuck in my skin but I was able to pick them out with my fingernails and there was no bleeding.

Rock salt is more painful!