PDA

View Full Version : Schadenfreude: Admit it!

inkkognito
09-03-2008, 01:38 AM
For those who haven't seen the play "Avenue Q," the definition of schadenfreude is "happiness at the misfortune of others." To hear the hilarious, but very politically incorrect, song, click the following link (Note: contains adult themes and language): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9B-ZoS0wvU

I'd like to tell myself that I've never personally indulged in schadenfruede, but then an example popped into my mind. I was flying Southwest out of Orlando the other day. In days past, they allowed families with kids to board right after the disabled, allowed them to snag all the seats in the front of the plane. And I do mean ALL, since in Orlando the preboarding was often half the plane, with pubescent, and sometimes even beareded, "four year olds." Now that has changed, and they board between the A and B groups. Since my husband is an A-lister (frequent flyer), we get a very early boarding number.

So we're waiting for our flight, and most of the families apparently didn't know about the new policy. They jockeyed into position, practically knocking over the disabled passengers. It was sweet as honey laced with Nutrasweet to watch their faces drop as they were forced to allow the As to board first. Back of the plane where you belong, suckers! Schadenfreude at its finest.

Admit it: When do YOU revel in others' pain?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
09-03-2008, 01:50 AM
I was going the speed limit on a city street not so very long ago and an a$$#01E in a Lexus didn't like my being 'slow'. Sooooo, he pulled around me, crossing the double yellow line in the middle of the street to do so, flipped me the bird, pulled quickly back in front of me so I had to hit the breaks to keep from hitting him... and then he saw the cop coming from the other direction.

Oh, yes, baby! I smiled all day and wondered just how big that ticket was.

Niniva
09-03-2008, 01:54 AM
Frankly, anytime I don't have to pay a price, which is really really rare. Usually, I have to clean up the mess, reassemble the pieces, and try to save the normals from adverse effects.

*sigh* I did it once recently though, and I can't for the life of me remember. This is gonna drive me nuts because it was hilarious in that most unpleasant way...

Judg
09-03-2008, 02:12 AM
I will confess to rejoicing every time one of those speed demons whizzes past me and gets caught in the next speed trap. Or whenever any jerk is laid low in his arrogance. I'm not going to apologize for it, either.

Inkkognito, I've never seen that kind of situation. Don't your airlines have assigned seating?

inkkognito
09-03-2008, 02:17 AM
Inkkognito, I've never seen that kind of situation. Don't your airlines have assigned seating?
No, Southwest is open seating. You get a boarding letter/number and board in that order.

Judg
09-03-2008, 02:19 AM
Ah. I've never flown with them, although I have bought tickets for my son. I guess that's one reason their prices are so cheap.

Shadow_Ferret
09-03-2008, 03:46 AM
No. I do not find happiness in the misfortune of others. I firmly believe in the expression, "There but for the grace of God go I."

Pagey's_Girl
09-03-2008, 04:45 AM
I was going the speed limit on a city street not so very long ago and an a$$#01E in a Lexus didn't like my being 'slow'. Sooooo, he pulled around me, crossing the double yellow line in the middle of the street to do so, flipped me the bird, pulled quickly back in front of me so I had to hit the breaks to keep from hitting him... and then he saw the cop coming from the other direction.

Oh, yes, baby! I smiled all day and wondered just how big that ticket was.

Had something very similar happen to me awhile back - a jerk in a Caddy literally ran me off the road tearing around me and up the hill near my house - and there was a police car just off to the side with the radar gun up. Yeah, the cop saw it - he took off after that moron so fast...

Big car does not equal big brain, apparently.

inkkognito
09-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Big car does not equal big brain, apparently.
In the immortal words of Shrek, "Do ya think he might be compensating for something?"

Joe270
09-03-2008, 10:52 AM

When I see a Hummer at a gas pump.

kct webber
09-03-2008, 11:11 AM

Whenever I see someone's stupidy, jackassery, assholery, or any other various vilainry backfire. Yep, every damn time.

NeuroFizz
09-03-2008, 04:39 PM
I wrote this some time ago--it is buried deep in the past pages of the Poetry Critique Forum.

Schadenfruede

When I observe
the slips and trips
of those deserving,
do I smile,
give ground
to that uncharitable
feeling?
Or pretend
to feel their pain?

Claudia Gray
09-03-2008, 06:37 PM
When I was in college, I studied abroad for a semester -- and midway through got a letter informing me that my boyfriend was now dating my best friend. Cliche, right? But devastating nonetheless.

Fast-forward to about five years later, when I hear through the grapevine that my ex-best-friend, engaged to be married (not to my ex), had discovered that her fiance was cheating on her -- with her best friend.

Cue schadenfreude.

Maryn
09-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Oh, excellent, Claudia, just excellent!

Mine was a guy at work who I pined for, big-time. When he learned of my interest through mutual acquaintances at our company, he told a third party to pass along the word that he wasn't interested. I just wasn't pretty enough. Within a year, he married a truly pretty woman and quit his job to work for her daddy.

Fast forward about eight years, maybe nine. I'm in Tucson, helping my aging mom, and I visit a local business. There he is, still really handsome. And still just the assistant manager of one store of a chain. Apparently Daddy doesn't like him, or he's just awful at the work. A small amount of schadenfreude, yes?

The last day I was there, I took my mom out to dinner. We dressed up, more that you really need to for Tucson. There at the restaurant were Danny and Pretty. I wasn't sure at first, since she weighed somewhere between 300 and 350. He didn't appear to recognize me from the old days, but he looked at me with undisguised longing until she hit his hand, hard. Big schadenfreude.

Maryn, resisting the urge to google for an image of him

Deccydiva
09-04-2008, 01:22 AM
Mine is in the process of being set up, all done my end, I'm just waiting for the victim to ask a particular question and wham!
I can't wait to see her face.
Watch this space. :D