PDA

View Full Version : A funny thing happened on the way home Saturday...

Kitrianna
09-02-2008, 10:35 PM
So I just wanted to share of screwy this was. I do have numerous pics, but until I either get the comp stratightened out and can load them on to a disk or my father in-law brings me my thumb drive, I will be unable to post them on the webpage. Y`all will never believe this one! So here's my weird tale...

As Kthroka nd I were walking out of the library Saturday afternoon, we were deafened by a passing ambulance. No really biggie. We live in the city, we were in downtown on one of the main drags. Another car accident. Yippy...NOT! As we went further down Colbourne, we noticed that the traffic was a bit bottle necked. Typical. The accident was just up the road from the motel room. As we got further along, talking about how our days had gone, we saw it. A minivan suspended on the support wires of a hydro pole! First response? "Holy crap!"

We spent the better part of two hours watching the local fire department get this vehicle and it's poor owner down and here is the story of how he ended up on those wires for over two hours (we talked to eye witnesses)...

As it turned out, this elderly gentleman had been driving down Colbourne in the right lane (it's a two lane street that is a one way). As he was approaching one of the many cross roads, he realized that the street he needed was right there. So what does he do? Turns left from the right lane and get nailed by the pickup truck that was in the left lane. His vehicle jumps into the air and lands on the wires, back bumper buried in the tree lawn. The minivan had a nice dent in the back driver's side door. The pick up? A little dent on the front bumper.

As far as we know both of the drivers were fine and there were no other passengers. It took two tow trucks and a hydro company truck to take care of gettting the minivan down safely. Well that and almost two hours like I said earlier. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't believe it. Honestly, part of me still doesn't believe it...

So anyone else had something freaky like that happen in their town/city?

Kitrianna
09-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Act6ually it was Brantford. I am trying to get the damn floppies to work in Kthrok's comp, but barring that...I'm stealing a CD from his stash. :D

Kitrianna
09-02-2008, 11:08 PM
It was on Colbourne right by the St. Leonards Center. Actually across the road from it. I forgot to see what side road that is. It was...freaky.

Kitrianna
09-02-2008, 11:21 PM
I know that some paper did have pics. One of our church's members saw it in a paper Sunday morning. Not sure which one. She lives out near Tilsonburg.

Mr Flibble
09-02-2008, 11:47 PM
That sounds pretty freaky

Of course it would probably sound freakier if I knew what a hydro pole is. I wasn't aware you could make poles out of water, and that freaky image is taking everything else over.

Kitrianna
09-02-2008, 11:49 PM
A hydro pole is what Americans call an elctric pole. Here we have hydroelectricity. Hence hydro poles. :D

Mr Flibble
09-02-2008, 11:50 PM
So the pole carries electricity but is named after water.

k

http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/images/smilies/smilie_loco.gif

Seaclusion
09-02-2008, 11:51 PM
They even put electric hoses up on the poles to contain the hydro-electricity from leaking out

Richard

Kitrianna
09-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Another one who lives to torment me. Gah! Thank God for KTC being here in the thread. :)

Mr Flibble
09-02-2008, 11:56 PM
They even put electric hoses up on the poles to contain the hydro-electricity from leaking out

Richard

What happens if there's a leak? We could all be knee deep in electricity!

Kitrianna
09-02-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm leaving now. I can only take so much more stress before I snap and go postal. You wouldn't want to see that...

Mr Flibble
09-03-2008, 12:56 AM
You're weird. You noticed! I'm touched, really :)

hydro-electric pole. Short... hydro pole.

So, do you differentiate between poles that carry hydro electricity and those that carry other kinds?

Seaclusion
09-03-2008, 12:59 AM
So, do you differentiate between poles that carry hydro electricity and those that carry other kinds?

Wow, that would mean that nuclear-electricity would be some pretty hot stuff. I guess that would be a nuclear-pole.

Richard

Beach Bunny
09-03-2008, 01:03 AM
You noticed! I'm touched, really :)

I am wondering the same thing. Is a pole that carries electricity from a nuclear power plant a nuke-pole? One from solar power a sun-pole? Windpower a wind-pole? What if it varies depending on the season? Is it called a variable-pole?

And they call us weird. :rolleyes:

Mr Flibble
09-03-2008, 01:04 AM
And they call us weird. :rolleyes:

That's OK. You are weird.

Hey that's a good thing! I like weird. Normal is so boring and ya know, 90's.

Judg
09-03-2008, 01:12 AM
So much of central Canada's electricity is generated by dams that the main power companies are named Hydro Quebec or Hydro Thisandthat. Out West we called them telephone poles because they would also carry the phone lines.

I thought the Hydro thing was pretty weird too when I first encountered it. You get used to it over time.

Judg
09-03-2008, 01:29 AM
Whoa. SuperPoet goes on a rampage...

Mr Flibble
09-03-2008, 01:32 AM
If it helps you may extract the urine from this luverly bit o' cockney:

As I was walkin' daahhhn the bloody field wahn day i Bear's Paw a gaff on Jeremiah there was a geeza, shoutin' and screamin' at an upper-storey cinder to the bleedin' crowd that was gathered there below for 'e was sore afraid jump! ya Feather Plucker, jump! jump into this 'ere blanket wot we 're 'olding and ya will be aw wite he jumped, 'it the deck, Hearts of Oak 'is thumb-suckin' Gregory Peck there was nah blanket laugh?! we nearly sh*t! we 'ad not laughed so much since grandma died or auntie mabel caught 'er left Brad Pitt in the mangle we 're miserable sinners fi-i-ilthy f**kers ahhhrrrr-soles

translation available on request

Judg
09-03-2008, 01:48 AM
This thread has totally derailed.

Yes, Kitrianna, post pictures! I personally can't remember witnessing something quite that weird. Hold on, I take that back.

There was the time I was on a passenger train. Looking out the window, I saw a car approaching the train on a sideroad with a level crossing. Rapidly. Without slowing down. I realized with a shock that it wasn't going to slow down.

I was sitting in the last seat in my car, just before the toilets and the coupling. The car hit that coupling and I watched pieces of it bouncing along the window. We were broken off the train at that coupling and none of us passengers had so much as a bruise. I heard that the driver of the car survived with only a broken leg. I shudder to think what would have happened if the impact had occurred at another point.

wordmonkey
09-03-2008, 01:48 AM
I was looking at alternative power for the home.

One I found involved placing a small hairy rodent in a tiny, polyester-line bunker. You tie the front-left and rear-right legs of said creature and then as it tries to run, it trips itself and in the tumble, rubs against the polyester- lining, making static electricity which runs up a wire to a capacitor above ground that then is wired to your house.

But come on. Who REALLY wants a Vole-Roll-Hole-Pole in their backyard?

Chumplet
09-03-2008, 04:42 AM
Maybe CP24 will have it tonight. You should send the pics to CityTV

At my office, they call the guys who work on the Hydro poles "Hydro Hunks."

Kitrianna
09-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Ok, I am happy to announce that I have the pics in question on me. Now provided Idiots and Richard can stop with the whole hydro thing, I will post them. If they can't...well I figure somone will kill them for it...probably me :D

Kitrianna
09-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Yep, sounds like a plan to me :D

Mr Flibble
09-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Well, there aren't any guarentees in life...but post please. I want to see what the damn things look like.

Kitrianna
09-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Working on it now. There's alot of pics. Kthrok and I were snapping away...

CaroGirl
09-03-2008, 08:40 PM
We also call our electric bills "hydro" bills. Renewable sources of energy are grand!

Kitrianna
09-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Ok, Kthrok's pics are up. See usual link in my sig, k? I'll get mine up in a few. Gotta love camera phones

Kitrianna
09-03-2008, 08:47 PM
That's what we thought too. I can't imagine having that bad or is it good luck to vault into the air and land on the wires? Didn't know there were acrobatic cars :tongue

CaroGirl
09-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Looks like the minivan is trying to do da cha cha.

I've seen some weird traffic stuff during the winter when it's icy, but on a perfect summer day?

Kitrianna
09-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Personally I would have freaked being that far off of the ground. *kicks the webpage* Damn thing won't let me post my pics. *grumbles*

Mr Flibble
09-03-2008, 08:49 PM
aha

It looks like a telegraph pole :)

We don't have leccy poles in town - the cables are all underground.

Kitrianna
09-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Ok, got that all worked out. Just kept all the pics seperated by who took them :D

Judg
09-04-2008, 04:05 AM
Idiots, you guys are still using the telegraph over there? Like, dude!

;)

Kitrianna
09-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Ok, in the interests of not starting up another thread, I have resurrected this one. It seems that Sir Kthrok and I are magnets for accidents, especially those involving law efforcement...

Today, I opted to stay in the room and have a shower instead of walking to work with him and sitting around for any hour until the library opened. How was I to know that I wouldn't have been standing around alone?

As it turns out, he was late for work. He watched an old man blow a red light and nail a cop that had his lights and sirens going. The car was in bad shape. I know this because as I left an hour and a half later, the cop car was driving up the road, front end hanging. What are the odds? Can someone please tell me? Should we buy a lotto ticket?

Stay tuned, I'm sure more freaky things will happen sometime soon...

Judg
09-08-2008, 09:26 PM
You should report this to insurers. I'm sure you could blackmail them into buying you a nice residence. Elsewhere.

Seaclusion
09-08-2008, 09:30 PM
All those drivers are distracted listening to the curling finals on the radio.

Richard

Judg
09-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Curling finals? In September?

Better research your fiction a little better.

Seaclusion
09-08-2008, 09:42 PM
No, the replays from last years thrill-a-minute exciting match.

Richard

Judg
09-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Tell me about it, I must have missed it. ;)

Seaclusion
09-08-2008, 09:53 PM
It was unbelievable. Ray (broom, broom) Mancini, swept so fast that he got six more inches travel to outscore the Rock Knockers in the final match. The crowd went wild and stormed the arena but they all slipped on the ice and the winners were able to slide away to safety.

Richard

Unique
09-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Thankx for the laffs.

What happened to the pics?

oh, gosh. dial ups so slow but that's a fancy bit of driving. er, flying.

Seaclusion
09-08-2008, 10:07 PM
The action was too intense for photography.

Richard

Judg
09-08-2008, 10:13 PM
LOL. It'll only sell to non-curlers, but it is entertaining.

Kitrianna
09-08-2008, 11:40 PM
No pics from this morning's accident. Kthrok didn't take any. *shakes her head* I don't know what he was thinking :D But he thinks that the officer might have been hurt. Said that he never got out of his car and it was sitting there for over an hour...