What's In Your Online Writer's Toolbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitchcockfan

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m an aspiring fiction writer and I’m trying to determine what to include in my online writer’s toolbox. My writing interests include mystery, horror and YA fantasy. With that, I’d like to hear your thoughts on the following two questions:

1. Which online, fiction-writing resources provide you with the most value and information for aspiring and published writers? These could be general or genre-specific sites that provide writing-related articles, online critiques, upcoming contests or just a great place for writers to congregate.

2. Do you find it best to belong to a few sites or several to converse and get information?

Thank you all very much for your input. It’s greatly appreciated!

John

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. This site is the best resource I've ever seen. Besides, there are links here to every other resource.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Okay, I'm going to give you a real answer, instead of just sucking up to AW. ;)

I also, on occasion, use Forward Motion at www.fmwriters.com. There's forums over there too, not as extensive as the ones here, and focusing on fiction. The forums here are better, but I like the chat room there, and have a good few friends there. They also have a newsletter for writers called Vision - http://lazette.net/vision/ - which is very good.
There's also a lot of good stuff at http://www.hollylisle.com/fm/. Holly is the founder of Forward Motion, and she has a lot of free stuff, including her eBook on writing, Mugging The Muse.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Real answer. I don't have time to get through all of the forums at AW (I have to pick and choose), so I don't go anywhere else. Also AW meets all of my needs (writing-related and otherwise).

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Outside of AW, I read several agent blogs and I'm subscribed to Publisher's Marketplace. Beyond that, everything else I learned about writing I found in books (fiction and non-fic how-to books).

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I have a few places I go to. AW isn't the be-all and end-all of Writer's resources. Although it is the best FORUM and probably has the most up-to-date information you'll find. In addition, it has many great writers all willing to help fellow writers no matter what their problem might be.

So in addition to AW, there is Editors and Preditors, a great site for researching how good an agent you're considering is.

And then for finding agents, there's Agenty Query. It's an excellent resource for find agents by genre.
Because, I have found from personal experience that, as helpful and friendly as people are here, you don't ever want to ask them who they consider to be the best agents in the field. You'll get reamed up and down for that because, I guess, they hold that information close to the vest for some reason and think you're being lazy if you dare to even ask that question.

And, as choas suggested, read the blogs of many of the agents in your genre, even those outside it. They offer great advice, too.

hitchcockfan

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone!

Hello,

I’d like to thank all of you for taking the time to offer your feedback. It’s greatly appreciated! I agree that AW’s Forum is the best on the Web. While I shouldn’t be surprised, I’m still taken aback by the sheer number of sites for writers. It makes deciding what sites to sign up for and track that much more difficult. However, just like anyone who offers a service, reputation and referrals go a long way when making a decision. I want to spend my time focusing on my writing, not chasing after the “next best” writing site. Thanks again for your feedback and for helping me choose a valuable tool in my writer’s toolbox.

Here are a few sites I’ve encountered that may be of value:

FictionAddiction.Net
www.fictionaddiction.net/Table/Writers/

The Internet Writing Workshop
www.internetwritingworkshop.org/index.shtml

Write4Kids Message Board
http://write4kids.com/cgibin/discus/discus.cgi

The Writers Site
www.thewriterssite.com/direct_pages/writing_feedback.html

FanStory.Com
www.fanstory.com/index.jsp

Resource Central
www.resourcehelp.com/qserwrit.htm

SpecFicWorld
www.specficworld.com/

Writers FM
www.writersfm.com/writersfm/

WritersNet
www.writers.net/

jessicaorr

Book fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I like critiquing circles like critters.org (working on my first crit today!) and critiquecircle.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.