PDA

View Full Version : Been suggested I get an agent; would love some feedback!

ryn
09-02-2008, 07:08 AM
I posted this in the scriptwriting section before I found this forum.. ah well. Any help still much appreciated. :)

In addition to writing, I'm a professional animator. I've sold ten screenplays for animated productions. Seven 22-minute episodes of one series, and three 10-minute episodes of another series, for which I was principal writer, all without representation. My editor on the most recent production was pleased with my work, and suggested this would be a good time to look for an agent.

To further complicate matters, I've also recently written a production bible and pilot for a tv series which an animation studio has optioned, and which has just recieved letters of interest from producers and distributors in the US and abroad.

This has all happened in a relatively short time, and I don't know where to go from here. Is this the best time to seek the services of an agent? I'm not sure what sort of footing my current jumble of credits and in-production projects places me on in regards to seeking representation. Who is wise enough to offer counsel?! :D

Stacia Kane
09-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Hi Ryn! Congratulations! :)

JMO, and I don't write screenplays, but I would say it's definitely time to get yourself an agent, absolutely. Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions; the only screenplay agents I'm aware of are the big names like CAA (whom I think you should try, by all means.)

Hopefully someone else will have more suggestions as well. Have you asked any pals of yours who also write screenplays? Maybe some of them would be willing to give you an intro? I seriously doubt you'll have trouble finding someone to represent you--your "jumble" of credits is pretty darned impressive!--but it's nice to keep it in the friendship, as it were. :)

Madisonwrites
09-05-2008, 01:37 AM
I'm going to say this. It's never too late to get an agent. Remeber, the worst they can do is say no. But it seems you've been successful, so you may not have a problem.

Get an agent. Go for it!

Danthia
09-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Agent Query is a good place to start. It sounds like you'd need an agent who handles screenplays. Do some searches and start researching names, then start querying.

Congrats and best of luck!

Donkey
09-05-2008, 06:29 PM
You have some creds, so you have a huge step up over most folks that are approaching agents for the first time. Huge.