Behavior of a Child of an Alcoholic

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm stuck trying to figure out how a child of an alcoholic would react in a certain situation.

Ben is the 10-year-old child of the alcoholic. He's has been staying with some friends. He's jealous of the relationship of these children and their father, who does not drink. Even though the relationship with the non-drinking father and his kids leaves a lot to be desired, it's better than what Ben has. Ben pulls a deliberate prank, not a really bad one but bad enough he should have been punished for it. But he's shifts the blame on to his friends and one of them takes the punishment.

What would be a normal reaction for Ben, the child of an alcoholic, to have when confronted by the mother of the children who got blamed for the prank? To Ben's way of thinking, the punishment is over and forgot about.

I'd appreciate any insight. I've never had much contact with children of drinking parents. Thanks!

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
I think the character would mimic his father's behavior after an alcohol infueled episode. For example, the day after his drinking binge my father would be apologetic, take full responsibility for his actions, and promise to never do it again. He'd cry and feel shame(okay, the shame part is my interpretation).

[email protected]

Metaphysical Spiritualist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I'm stuck trying to figure out how a child of an alcoholic would react in a certain situation.

What would be a normal reaction for Ben, the child of an alcoholic, to have when confronted by the mother of the children who got blamed for the prank? To Ben's way of thinking, the punishment is over and forgot about.

I'd appreciate any insight. I've never had much contact with children of drinking parents. Thanks!

This would depend on how Ben's Father's alcoholism manifests. Is the dad abusive, and if so, is it physical, verbal? Does he ignore?

I would say that you need to consider that Ben's perception of 'Love' from a parent is skewed. That will help to show his reaction.

Thanks for posting!

~Michael

Last edited:

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, escritora and malberque. You've given me some good starting places for thought.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone is an individual and we all have different coping mechanisms. You could have Ben do whatever and it'd be right for Ben. There is no "norm".

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score

Ben is the 10-year-old child of the alcoholic. He's has been staying with some friends. He's jealous of the relationship of these children and their father, who does not drink. Even though the relationship with the non-drinking father and his kids leaves a lot to be desired, it's better than what Ben has. Ben pulls a deliberate prank, not a really bad one but bad enough he should have been punished for it. But he's shifts the blame on to his friends and one of them takes the punishment.

This really depends on how his father behaves when he is drunk? Is he a mean drunk or a happy drunk?
Children of alcoholics develop different coping mechanisms depending on the situation in their family. Even siblings will develop different coping mechanisms depending on their personality and their place in the family. So, children of alcoholics don't have a one-size fits all description or way of responding to the same circumstances. There are some similarities in behavior, but they are very general and don't help answer this question.

Given that Ben shifted the blame to his friends rather than take responsibility for the prank that he played, I would think that he would deny what he did when confronted by the mother of the other children unless there is no way out of it. BUT, that action has to be true to his character.