Glimmer Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
Glimmer Train has been around for eons. They have very exacting standards, but they are a paying market! EVEN FOR POETRY! (a rare treat). Read some of their stuff, compare/contrast to what you write and then submit. A check is a check. Sooo..give it a shot.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
glimmer train

i've submitted 4-6 times--usually in a contest-- which costs money. i've always been turned down. i'm going to try again this fall as a regular submission. i fully expect another reject. i may try again this winter. terca como mula-- i am just being stubborn. be sure to read the mag first. the stories are literary---s6

Last edited:

Woodsie

I have tendencies.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.graceisforsinner.com
I submitted to a short story contest a few weeks ago and will hear back in October. It sounds like there is a good amount of competition, then. That's good. :)

Have you ever won a contest elsewhere?

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I was a finalist in one of their contests, but I never won. The women who run Glimmer Train seemed very nice in their emails. I get GT delivered and I think it's fantastic.

Ol' 61

Registered
Reaction score
I just submitted a short story the other day, actually, for their "Very Short Fiction Award." It is very short, too--about 600 words. I tried to elaborate on it, but decided it was better the way it was. At any rate...all I've heard is that they've received it. Winner to be announced Oct. 31.

This is only the second contest I've entered. The other was a War Poetry contest, and I'll hear by Nov. 15. I have to say, I've always been wary of entering contests, but it was always my hang-ups, not theirs. Just the fact that I have clicked on the "submit" button twice now, well, it's done wonders for my confidence levels!

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
My brother-in-law had a story published in Glimmer Train several years ago. It was a proud moment and a nice payday for him. Too bad it was also the last story he's written. He's become a valuable beta reader for me, but he doesn't seem to have any intention to write fiction again. The rest of the fam has stopped bugging him about it.

I've been a Glimmer Train subscriber since the late '90s. It's one of my favorite lit mags, and one day I'll get around to submitting a short story there.

Woodsie

I have tendencies.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.graceisforsinner.com
I just submitted a short story the other day, actually, for their "Very Short Fiction Award." It is very short, too--about 600 words. I tried to elaborate on it, but decided it was better the way it was. At any rate...all I've heard is that they've received it. Winner to be announced Oct. 31.

Yeah, that's the one I just entered. I've only entered one other writing contest, but that was a little over four years ago.

steveg144

Crusty Polemicist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CrustyPolemicist.blogspot.com
I was a finalist in one of their contests, but I never won. The women who run Glimmer Train seemed very nice in their emails. I get GT delivered and I think it's fantastic.

I'll second that: the two sisters who run Glimmer Train are unfailingly polite, gracious, and positive in their rejections. I should know: I've gotten several of them. :tongue

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
I was a finalist in 2006 for their Short Story Award for New Writers. And yeah, they're uber nice. Great pub.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, since Glimmer Train started their new email submission process, I gather they don't reject anyone -- instead the message "Completed" appears in your MS status column. Wow! I've been Completed! Why don't I feel any different? ;)

Checking the status screen was the only way I found out my last submission was turned down. No letter or email. So if you haven't heard from GT and you subbed online, this may be the problem -- you haven't checked to see whether you're Complete or not.

My sense is that GT is the new Holy Grail (or shares that status with Zoetrope and, of course, the venerable New Yorker.) Getting in there is a major coup, and, hey, you can always give it a shot for nothing with a regular sub.

Does paying to get into a contest up your chances? I don't know. I get Completed either way. (Wait, if I was Complete before, am I SuperComplete now?) :thankyou:

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
Phael, how long did it take you to get Completed? Was it about the same by regular entry or by entering their contest?

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Phael, how long did it take you to get Completed? Was it about the same by regular entry or by entering their contest?

My contest entry was completed in ten weeks. I haven't gone through the email process for a regular sub yet, but my snail mail subs were rejected at least that quickly.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
once i was 'completed' in just a few weeks. another time it was down to the deadline wire. i figure the sisters are so nice and so polite that they would not take my 15$ without reading the entire story--so that is why i enter the contests. my latest story is so weird that i know it will be rejected, so i'm not going to waste the dinero. i'll just submit it as a regular submission. --s6

Status
Not open for further replies.