Water-Skiing is So Hard! Triumph and a Question -

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I'm capering this evening. Kinda wincing as I do it, but still. I was awesome today and apparently you can sometimes teach an old dog new tricks.

I water-skiied for the very first time!

Holy crap that's hard. But it was a gorgeous day and I had just the right combination of bananas, malt liquor, and Red Bull to keep me fueled and intrepid.

I got up. I wooshed behind the boat a little bit. I got an epic water-wedgie. I avoided any Bruckheimer crashes, but did manage to rip the toenail off my big toe. (Its okay. It was a goner anyway after I injured my foot a few weeks ago.)

My question is this: I didn't drink too much of Lake James, but still have a good dose of it sloshing around in my ears. Is this a problem? What do I do about it?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tilt the offending lake toward the ground and jump stiffly a few times?

Oh, and Congrats!

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
The water in your ears is not a problem. Tilt your head to the side for a few minutes and when the surface tension breaks it's like popping a bubble--kinda cool-feeling actually. You might have to shake your head a little.

And congrats! :D

Ciera_

I have never been able to conquer the mighty water skis =( (tubing is more my thing. no skill required, short of holding on for dear life ^^) congrats to you, though! The water will quietly collapse out of your ear soon. I'm surprised it hasn't left by now, it is usually gone before I'm in dry clothes.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
My first time on water skis I had to stay up. It was at Ambunti on the Sepik River, PNG. The ski boat thundered around a few times to scare the crocs away then we took turns to ski. So I've never fallen off them.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
My first time on water skis I had to stay up. It was at Ambunti on the Sepik River, PNG. The ski boat thundered around a few times to scare the crocs away then we took turns to ski. So I've never fallen off them.
Yeah, that's motivation in the extreme.

I'm sore in every muscle from the base of my jaw to the wrists and hips, with selected hot spots throughout my legs.

But I did it!

I actually put some rubbing alcohol in my ears and that ran the water right out. Silly as it sounds, I can't shake my head, almost at all, without putting myself at some risk. My neck vertebrae are a ruin. I'm waiting for my titanium replacements to come out of clinical trials (I'd be in the trials, but they only allowed people who need one and I need two or three.)

Interestingly, my physical therapist was all for me trying water-skiing. He said, "You know what you can and can't do." And he's right. My range of motion is limited to straight planes, no combo moves. So, I can ski, but I can't shake the water out of my ears. That's silly.

But what a good time.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, it took me probably fourteen tries to get up (spread out in three stints.) It's an all-over math thing. I work out a lot, so I was definitely strong enough, but timing and balance issues has made be, ahem, not much of a dancer.

The single biggest help was tightening the skis on the last go. Snug skis make easy work of keeping them parallel. I wish I had known that the first two times.

I am so sore and the bad news is that I have a tendency towards more soreness the second day.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Of all people, I thought you'd have a comment about my banana/malt liquor/Red Bull fuel.

Of those I consume bananas. I tried Glenfiddick many years ago but I've never tried Red Bull. No bull!