PDA

View Full Version : 'Stabbed six times for a tenner and a clapped-out Rolex'

stuckupmyownera
09-01-2008, 02:09 AM
In my WIP the protag's dad is stabbed to death in a dark alley one night, out of the blue, and his cash and watch taken.
In the absence of witnesses or evidence, can anyone suggest how the police might treat a crime such as this? Does it just get chalked up as 'another one of those things' and forgotten about? (This is what I want to happen.)
My story is set in London in the mid-eighties.
Hope someone can help. Thanks a lot :)

dpaterso
09-01-2008, 02:36 AM
After they canvas the area for witnesses, and post appeals for anyone with knowledge of the incident to come forward (please call this number, you don't have to leave your name), and basically exhaust all possibilities, it's still going to remain an open case but will be flagged as unsolved, with a big drop in time and interest. Possibly a follow-up canvas will be carried out after say a week to connect with anyone who made themselves scarce first time around. And they're going to focus on why the father was in that dark alley. Nothing masks their being unable to solve the case better than a sh!tload of press speculation over what the old bugger was up to.

Oh, and they'll use this as an excuse to shake down every villain and dealer in the area. Mid-'80s, a bit of arm-twisting could go on. Might even pin the blame on someone they don't like.

Just my thoughts -- nothing you don't know already.

-Derek

stuckupmyownera
09-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks Derek. I figured as much but it's great to get a second opinion. I love this place! :)

waylander
09-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Crimewatch reconstruction maybe?

RJK
09-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Lots of variables to consider:
How busy are the cops? Do they deal with 10 homicides a year or 300?
Is this a big city or a small town? One homicide will get lost in the news in a big city.

How the case will be solved:
One of the killers will talk (brag) in a public place and a snitch will pass on the information.
The watch will turn up, leading the cops to the killers.
Either of these could take months of even years to happen.

waylander
09-01-2008, 09:46 PM
The OP said London in the 80s (though not which bit of London) so they would have plenty of serious crime to keep them busy