PDA

View Full Version : What kind of computer do you have?

ZannaPerry
08-31-2008, 10:31 PM
Just curious what kind of technology everyone is carrying when writing...and if you like your product or not. What you would recommend??

Adam Israel
08-31-2008, 10:45 PM
I use a Macbook Pro for writing/editing, but a Moleskin notebook for first drafts.

regdog
08-31-2008, 11:36 PM
I have a Dell Inspiron 1100. Bought it the advice of a friend f*******hate it.

ZannaPerry
09-01-2008, 12:14 AM
I recently bought an HP. I'm very happy with it so far.

Stonetable: I also own lots of moleskin notebooks for first drafts. Very nice to use and handle.

wyntermoon
09-01-2008, 12:27 AM
I have an HP Pav. dv6000 laptop, an HP Pav9000 laptop and a big crappy Hell Dell desktop that I paid too much for and hate with a passion.

jgold
09-01-2008, 12:50 AM
A white Macbook that I carry every day in its matching white and black case because it makes me happy.

I :heart: all things Apple.

Woodsie
09-01-2008, 12:54 AM
iMAC 24

It's the best, in my opinion, for the price.

Bayou Bill
09-01-2008, 12:56 AM
What kind of computer do you have?

It's a lot like me: old, cranky, unreliable, and not very productive. On the other hand, it's a Compact and I'm not.

Bayou Bill :cool:

robeiae
09-01-2008, 12:56 AM
I have an NEC ProSpeed 386SX laptop with an lcd screen and a full megabyte hard-drive.

JoeEkaitis
09-01-2008, 01:17 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3226/2814706443_c792a752a9_o.jpg

JLCwrites
09-01-2008, 01:27 AM
A white MacLappy. LOVE IT!!

For notebooks... I like to use the cheap composition books. I have a Moleskin, but I am afraid of scribbling my notes in it. So.. thanks to KTC's advice, I go with the cheap-o books and scribble away! (The Moleskin is used for writing down memories of my toddlers... sayings, quotes etc.. which was great advice from reigningcatsndogs) :)

Red-Green
09-01-2008, 02:14 AM
24" iMac G5. I would hug and kiss it on a daily basis but I don't want to leave a bunch of smudges on the screen.

Clair Dickson
09-01-2008, 02:40 AM
I have a cobbled-together desk top that's running WindowsXP. It's an amalgum of the cheaper parts that my must-have-the-fastest brothers didn't want anymore. Heh. If the price is right! It's finally a solid machine-- after two years with a computer that randomly shut down, I had been on the verge of becoming a Luddite. Then my Oldest Brother made my computer behave (bad motherboard, then bad processor. Maybe demons in the case. Either way, I have new case, new MoBo, new processor, and happy Clair.)

I also came into a Toshiba Satellite Laptop, also running XP. My Mum had an older laptop, it can't run Vista and she wanted me to have it. I'm not stupid =D. I like the portability of the laptop, but the keyboard drives me that short trip to crazy. I prefer to keyboard I've had on my desktop for 13 years (since I traded my old Mac 2/SE for Windows95.) One my goals in life is type this keyboard to death. 13 years... and it works as perfectly as the day I got it.

C.bronco
09-01-2008, 02:42 AM
Mine says "FPD 1730." It must have belonged to the Fire Department in 1730.

Also, it has buttons and letters.

KC Sunshine
09-01-2008, 02:44 AM
Apple Ibook G4. It's white and shiny.

benbradley
09-01-2008, 02:54 AM
IMHO, there's no substantial difference between modern GUI-based computers for writing. The only thing I'd consider 'different' or a throwback would be the Alpha Neo's and whatever's, which are much like using "text-based" computer screens of 20+ years ago before MS Windows became overwhelmingly popular.

Speaking of which, I looked longingly at an Apple ][e at the thrift store the last two times I was there. I wonder if it's still there now. The price is right. I may well show up the next time they're open for business (10AM Wednesday).

benbradley
09-01-2008, 02:58 AM
I have an NEC ProSpeed 386SX laptop with an lcd screen and a full megabyte hard-drive.
They made hard drives that SMALL? Are you sure you don't mean a "full megabyte" of RAM?

The smallest hard drive I can recall was 5 megabytes, and that was for something like an IBM PC or PC/XT.

Pagey's_Girl
09-01-2008, 03:18 AM
My desktop is more or less a Frankenputer that still runs Windows 2000 - works great, though, and reliable as anything. I also have a brand-spanking-new desktop that runs XP. (Was my father's - he hated it. He thought Windows 98SE was The Best Operating System Ever and would NOT use anything else - except DOS.) That one isn't set up for wireless Net access yet. My laptop is a Thinkpad Z60m I got through the employee purchase program at my old job. It also runs XP.

BenPanced
09-01-2008, 04:05 AM
I use a Macbook Pro for writing/editing, but a Moleskin notebook for first drafts.
*pets Moleskin collection* Same here. I don't care if they're so freaking expensive. I love, love, LOVE them.

For next drafts and rewrites/editing, I use my AlphaSmart Neo. Final formatting is done on my Mac G3, which is showing it's on its final legs. Hopefully will be able to get a new computer next year.

kristie911
09-01-2008, 05:07 AM
I have a 4 year old Toshiba something or other model laptop that I freakin' love!! I hope it never dies.

*knocks on wood*

Matera the Mad
09-01-2008, 05:10 AM
"Carrying"???
Hello...real world...
I have whatever my friends give me when they get something newer. Frankenware. I take care of it and keep it going until the next one. End of story.

rhymegirl
09-01-2008, 06:03 AM
Mac PowerBook G4--I've had it for 3 years. Yes, I like it.

robeiae
09-01-2008, 06:07 AM
They made hard drives that SMALL? Are you sure you don't mean a "full megabyte" of RAM?

The smallest hard drive I can recall was 5 megabytes, and that was for something like an IBM PC or PC/XT.
Dude, it's a laptop (weighs about twenty five pounds)...

But yes, it's the factory hard drive (http://www.upgradecomputermemory.com/ram.cfm//memory-applications/Notebook-Laptop-Memory/NEC-Notebook/All-Other-NEC-Notebooks/ProSpeed-386SX16/). However, I understand I can now upgrade to the 5 megabyte.

(full meg of RAM?!?! that's just crazy...750 kb maybe)