What kind of computer do you have?

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
Just curious what kind of technology everyone is carrying when writing...and if you like your product or not. What you would recommend??

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a Dell Inspiron 1100. Bought it the advice of a friend f*******hate it.

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
I recently bought an HP. I'm very happy with it so far.

Stonetable: I also own lots of moleskin notebooks for first drafts. Very nice to use and handle.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
I have an HP Pav. dv6000 laptop, an HP Pav9000 laptop and a big crappy Hell Dell desktop that I paid too much for and hate with a passion.

jgold

Grinning
Registered
Reaction score
A white Macbook that I carry every day in its matching white and black case because it makes me happy.

I :heart: all things Apple.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
2814706443_c792a752a9_o.jpg

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
A white MacLappy. LOVE IT!!

For notebooks... I like to use the cheap composition books. I have a Moleskin, but I am afraid of scribbling my notes in it. So.. thanks to KTC's advice, I go with the cheap-o books and scribble away! (The Moleskin is used for writing down memories of my toddlers... sayings, quotes etc.. which was great advice from reigningcatsndogs) :)

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I have a cobbled-together desk top that's running WindowsXP. It's an amalgum of the cheaper parts that my must-have-the-fastest brothers didn't want anymore. Heh. If the price is right! It's finally a solid machine-- after two years with a computer that randomly shut down, I had been on the verge of becoming a Luddite. Then my Oldest Brother made my computer behave (bad motherboard, then bad processor. Maybe demons in the case. Either way, I have new case, new MoBo, new processor, and happy Clair.)

I also came into a Toshiba Satellite Laptop, also running XP. My Mum had an older laptop, it can't run Vista and she wanted me to have it. I'm not stupid =D. I like the portability of the laptop, but the keyboard drives me that short trip to crazy. I prefer to keyboard I've had on my desktop for 13 years (since I traded my old Mac 2/SE for Windows95.) One my goals in life is type this keyboard to death. 13 years... and it works as perfectly as the day I got it.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
IMHO, there's no substantial difference between modern GUI-based computers for writing. The only thing I'd consider 'different' or a throwback would be the Alpha Neo's and whatever's, which are much like using "text-based" computer screens of 20+ years ago before MS Windows became overwhelmingly popular.

Speaking of which, I looked longingly at an Apple ][e at the thrift store the last two times I was there. I wonder if it's still there now. The price is right. I may well show up the next time they're open for business (10AM Wednesday).

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I have an NEC ProSpeed 386SX laptop with an lcd screen and a full megabyte hard-drive.
They made hard drives that SMALL? Are you sure you don't mean a "full megabyte" of RAM?

The smallest hard drive I can recall was 5 megabytes, and that was for something like an IBM PC or PC/XT.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
My desktop is more or less a Frankenputer that still runs Windows 2000 - works great, though, and reliable as anything. I also have a brand-spanking-new desktop that runs XP. (Was my father's - he hated it. He thought Windows 98SE was The Best Operating System Ever and would NOT use anything else - except DOS.) That one isn't set up for wireless Net access yet. My laptop is a Thinkpad Z60m I got through the employee purchase program at my old job. It also runs XP.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use a Macbook Pro for writing/editing, but a Moleskin notebook for first drafts.
*pets Moleskin collection* Same here. I don't care if they're so freaking expensive. I love, love, LOVE them.

For next drafts and rewrites/editing, I use my AlphaSmart Neo. Final formatting is done on my Mac G3, which is showing it's on its final legs. Hopefully will be able to get a new computer next year.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I have a 4 year old Toshiba something or other model laptop that I freakin' love!! I hope it never dies.

*knocks on wood*

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mac PowerBook G4--I've had it for 3 years. Yes, I like it.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
They made hard drives that SMALL? Are you sure you don't mean a "full megabyte" of RAM?

The smallest hard drive I can recall was 5 megabytes, and that was for something like an IBM PC or PC/XT.
Dude, it's a laptop (weighs about twenty five pounds)...

But yes, it's the factory hard drive. However, I understand I can now upgrade to the 5 megabyte.

(full meg of RAM?!?! that's just crazy...750 kb maybe)