Burning Bridges.

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone on this board burned any bridges lately? Well, I think I am about to this week....

Okay, here's the problem (and I have to get this out or it will eat me alive!) I am an adult now. Even though I moved back home to live with my parents until I finish college, I make all my decisions and my parents are proud that I do (because I don't think they can live with the stress of my decisions) so I take care of my own business my own way.

I want to quit my job. Just walk out on the same day I get paid, and never return. I know I will be burning my bridges, as my mom drove into me growing up, but as she keeps reminding me as I do myself...I make my own decisions. So...quitting my job won't necessarily be a bad thing. Though, I will never get to be rehired there...why would I want to be? I'm a server/bartender and I absolutely hate working there. I haven't been employeed there for a while and resturaunts have the biggest turn-about of any other business. So, I think it wouldn't be that big of a deal to just leave on the spot. Right? PLUS! I'm not quitting because of the people I work with, I am quitting because I am making absolutely NO MONEY and I dread every morning I have to go to work. In the last three days I've worked I have made barely $60. I need to go where the money is.

I decided at one point in time to just put in my two weeks notice, and finish out the two weeks, but thinking about those last two weeks will be purely HELL! I have a good connections with a temp service, and will go with that...

but what should I do about my current job? They might worry when I don't show up for work, but I would have given them my two weeks PLUS there have been so many people there who have quit without giving any notice, and my bosses move on.

What to do?? I know this will be my final decision but I'd still like some input.

Storm Dream

Into the blue memory
Registered
Reaction score
Put in your two weeks. You never know who you'll end up working with in the future that might remember you. Fat chance? Maybe, but you know what? It's two more weeks and then there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

I'd dearly love to stomp away from my job, but I'm pretty sure it'd bite me in the ass somehow.

Good luck.

C A Winters

Never say "I can't."
Registered
Reaction score
Give notice. Good work ethics are important no matter the job or circumstance, and can't be developed too soon. Bad habits tend to follow you, and will reflect in future employment(s).

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I have only ever quit jobs that were miserable, and my last two weeks were always hell. I probably should have left long before two simple weeks became painful. Lesson learned... now I'm my own boss. :p

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious - how is it possible for an adult to be only earning $20 a day with minimum wage laws? Are the laws ignored or have they found a loophole?

I'd agree with the others, though. Ignore whether you want to work for them again ... would you hire someone who has a habit of NOT sticking by their work commitments just because it doesn't suit them?>

And sticking with it gives you a handy question to a typical job interview question - in a decade when you are going for decent jobs, and they ask what you are proudest of in your career, you can always harp back to that first job you had ... when you were losing money just for working but you stuck by your two weeks notice anyway even though nobody else did - just because you promised to and you always stand by your committments.

It will be character building.

Mac

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
I only made $20 in tips and a little over $2.13 hourly because I'm also a bartender. The place is going down, anyway, no matter how the bosses argue. Why should I stick around to see it crumble? And sadly to say, this isn't the first job I've just up and quit. I did it once before, and another but I had put in my two weeks prior. Working at the place is just not worth even my sweat, and quite frankly I am tired of the hassel. I want a real job with a real hourly rate. I just feel like I am running on a treadmill--moving, but the scenery is still the same.

I think what I WILL do is go into work in the morning, give my two weeks just to warn them, and then hi-tail it out of there. It's just a serving job. The front doors are practically swinging doors, anyway.

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
My suggestion, don't just walk...talk.

Explain why you are leaving, and that it is your preference it takes effect immediately.

Unless they are super shorthanded, the last thing an employer wants is an employee with 2 weeks or less hanging around., bad vibes for everyone including the customers.

No future employer will ever fault you for leaving because of low pay, but they do frown on no-notice walk aways.

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
I will give a notice. I'll feel bad if I don't because I actually do like some of the people there. Hint how I say sooooome. My GM is just a major jackass that needs to get his foot out of his ass, and talk TO ME instead of AT ME. I'd spit in his face if I could, but won't because I have a better attitude than that.

So...I could do that? Give them my notice and say I want it to happen right away? Huh....I really, REALLY hope the GM isn't working in the morning because I won't give him the time of day. He deserves every walk out where it leaves him standing in the dust. People have quit on him right then and there because how he reacts.

Now, I know some of you are going to say you're not going to like all your bosses and this is true. But he has to top the list.

So...bottom line. I will give a notice, then leave. Good enough for me.

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
Just an old man rabibiting on, but a bit of advice...tell your future employer that you left because of the low pay, and leave off the old boss was an ass, even if he was.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SuzyB., take it for what's it's worth from someone who used to process unemployment claims applications, it's better to be laid off than to be fired, better to be fired than to quit and better to quit than do a job you hate for people you can't stand making no money.

Maybe you'll never have to file an unemployment claim because you didn't work at a place long enough to qualify for benefits or whatever. Point is, if you have a habit of quitting jobs when you get bored with crap hours at crap wages, that shows up in your gaps of employment.

It may not seem to matter much now, but eventually when you do find a job you really want, how you left your previous employer may impact upon your chances of landing the gig.

If you can't deal with two weeks notice, give one week. There's no law that says you must give two weeks. It's just standard operating practice.

Good luck.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Many employers (especially if they are assholes) get resentful when you quit and take it as a personal insult. Many of those react by saying something to the effect of, "If you're so miserable, pack your stuff and leave now." Some employers feel you will no longer perform in the interests of the company during your last two weeks and get rid of you on the spot also.

Give them a weeks notice (you can actually trim that down to four or five days by cutting out weekends and the like) and if they are as assinine as you say they will kick you out on the spot.

Richard

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Burning bridges is a dangerous thing. You never know how long the fire will smolder after you think it's out... or how big a bridge it might burn later when it gets a breath of wind and flares up again.

Neurotic

Militant apathist
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a couple of jobs I've hated. Really hated. Both times I gave notice, using a politely-worded letter of resignation. It cost me the price of a piece of paper and some toner, and when my former bosses were called for references they obliged.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I should also point out, as a twenty-year veteran of the bartending business, that if you quit without notice you are screwing over the people you work with more than the people you work for. I had one girl quit without notice on me--on New Year's Eve. I'd gotten to work at 9 a.m. that morning. When I got off work from my day shift--at 11 pm--I went to another bar and found that girl there drinking and having a great old time.

I walked up to her and punched her in the face.

You never want to herald in a New Year with blood streaming from your nose.

Give notice, with a list of the only shifts you will be available for during the two weeks' period--and save yourself the grief of having other bartenders track you down later. Trust me; better safe than sorry.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
There's some good advice here, milady.

One thing to point out? Your situation isn't as much about burning bridges with the current boss, as it is about establishing a reputation with the next one.

It's kind of hard for the person who wants to hire you to like hearing or finding out, "He/She just up and quits when she's not happy." It doesn't really matter how absurd the working situation was. From a distance it will just look like "she's not happy, or uncomfortable, or it was too hard for her".

Follow MsCelina's kind advice. She is much wiser than the sharp fangs and over-inflated vegetable would indicate.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's some good advice here, milady.

One thing to point out? Your situation isn't as much about burning bridges with the current boss, as it is about establishing a reputation with the next one.

It's kind of hard for the person who wants to hire you to like hearing or finding out, "He/She just up and quits when she's not happy." It doesn't really matter how absurd the working situation was. From a distance it will just look like "she's not happy, or uncomfortable, or it was too hard for her".

Follow MsCelina's kind advice. She is much wiser than the sharp fangs and over-inflated vegetable would indicate.

:roll:

What Willie and Celina sez. They're right.

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your words of wisdom. I did call into work today and gave them a heads up that I was putting in my one-week notice. I've only been at this job for a little over a month, and only just got out of training as a bartender two weeks ago. Besides, that place of business has seen soooo many people it's not even funny. From the time I've been there I'd seen about five people get hired, then quit without notice. Sooo...at least I gave them a notice. I feel better, and in the meantime it will help me look for a new job. I already have a few lined up!

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your words of wisdom. I did call into work today and gave them a heads up that I was putting in my one-week notice. I've only been at this job for a little over a month, and only just got out of training as a bartender two weeks ago. Besides, that place of business has seen soooo many people it's not even funny. From the time I've been there I'd seen about five people get hired, then quit without notice. Sooo...at least I gave them a notice. I feel better, and in the meantime it will help me look for a new job. I already have a few lined up!
Good luck on your job hunt, may it be a great one

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
There was a job that I had for only a month. It sucked! Fortunately I was able to find a much better job before quitting. The new job wanted me to work right away. So I gave my sucky job one week's notice. My supervisor informed me that he would be unable to give me a good recommendation since I was only leaving him a week's notice. (I didn't care... I already had my new job.) I just shrugged, grabbed my pay stub and never used that job as a reference. I was only there for a month... nobody would have noticed that a month was missing between references. The new job... I worked for them for 5 years. That's what prospective employers see.

I hope you find a job you love!

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
funny thing is now.....I already found myself a new job. They hired me on the spot this afternoon for my interview and I start training tomorrow morning! How crazy is that? VERY relieved I don't have to go far between jobs.