Status
Not open for further replies.

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
My WIP about cars includes a section on how large an exhaust pipe to use. My draft version currently includes numbers from the chart on this page:

http://www.dynomax.com/techsupport.stm#TechTips

They are formatted into a chart that is significantly different from the one shown. My understanding of copyright is that the actual numbers that make up this chart cannot be copyrighted, and as such can be used in another work without getting written permission. Of course, I would acknowledge the source as a matter of courtesy. Is this an acceptable practice, or should I either get written permission or take that part relying on the chart out?

TashaGoddard

Away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
If all you're doing is changing the formatting, while the actual numbers stay the same, then it will probably need permission, yes.

There are some things number-wise that can't really be copyrighted (the five times table, for example; 5x1=5, 5x2=10, 5x3=15... you can't really change it because it is a mathematical fact).

If these numbers are also mathematical facts (i.e. there is a set and accepted formula that gives the correlation between engine size, pipe diameter and horsepower) then it's possible that you won't need permission.

However, I would say that the usual caveat applies. If in doubt, check with the source - send them a letter/email to ensure that it's OK to use the data.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
The numbers themselves can't be copyrighted, but the selection of them - as is the case here - most certainly can.

Status
Not open for further replies.