PDA

View Full Version : Can one only write a portion of their life?

NiteOwl4ever
08-31-2008, 04:46 AM
I am in the midst of writing my life's story. But i am at a stand still now. You see, my life is pretty much unconventional and unique all the way up until around Dec of 1980. Then everything is pretty boring until around maybe a part of 1983, and then boring again until the mid 80's, and then boring all the way up until now. lol

But basically i want to get out those early years, but not so much the later years. Can one write only about their early years and leave the rest out?
And would that still be a life story? or would that be considered a memoir?

P.S. My life isn't over yet by no means. I am only 47, but i still feel like i need to get this portion of my life's story out.

C.bronco
08-31-2008, 04:55 AM
Of course you can! Your boring later years have probably given you a good perspective on your early years. Go to!

NiteOwl4ever
08-31-2008, 07:02 AM
Your boring later years have probably given you a good perspective on your early years. Go to!Well i realized how much my life has changed since then. lol :D

Of course you can!

Cool! :snoopy:..Cause those years are the years i really wanna get down.
No one's gonna wanna read about anything else. lol

Now, is this still considered an autobiography? or would it be more of a memoir?
Not that it matter's what it's called, but i am just curious.........

MarkEsq
08-31-2008, 06:37 PM
Sure, absolutely. Make sure there is some kind of satisfactory conclusion to the exciting chapter of your life. Perhaps a nice epilogue to show how you have overcome adversity?
Good luck!

NiteOwl4ever
09-01-2008, 02:01 AM
Sure, absolutely. Make sure there is some kind of satisfactory conclusion to the exciting chapter of your life. Perhaps a nice epilogue to show how you have overcome adversity?
Good luck!
Great! Thanks!
But now how do i do that? I don't think i overcame anything at that point in life. lol I was still only 20 years old.

And i also have to figure what exact year i want to end my story at. I cant quit figure that one out either. :Shrug:

But everything else is just too boring and mundane, scattered with a few things in between that i really don't feel like mentioning to anyone. Then the boringness starts up again. And for sure i will lose the readers attention in no time. And my later years certainly wont compare to my early years. They're nothing to really write about.

Or how about if i just zip thru the later years. Is that not a good thing to do??

NiteOwl4ever
09-01-2008, 09:46 AM
You know what? I have finally made up my mind. I am only going to write a portion of my life and that's it. Just the main years that had the biggest effect on my life.

But then this wouldnt be an autobiography, would it.
This would actually be a Memoir then. :e2writer:

jerrywaxler
09-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Hi NiteOwl4Ever,

You're asking a terrific and fundamental question. Life story is actually two projects rolled into one. You're trying to tell your life and you're trying to tell a good story. If you just tell your life it's commonly called an "autobiography" and would be okay for historians and your kids (maybe). If you want to just tell a story (without it being life) it's fiction, and if you're really really good at it, people will remember you for a hundred years. (eg, Dostoevsky, Dickens, etc)

If you want to tell a fabulous story about your life you must learn and combine about a million skills, such as storytelling, introspection, great writing, and the fine art of understanding the marketplace. It's not a one sentence answer. It's a long journey.

Now that you're on it, I hope you will take advantage of the many resources, such as critique groups, this forum, blogs (like mine for example), and books about memoir writing, all of which will give you ideas. And above all, write. In the end, it's a creative effort, and if you enjoy the process you'll have a lot of fun along the way.

Jerry