PDA

View Full Version : Hunters, Fisherman, and other Liars!...Gather here!

Stew21
08-31-2008, 03:27 AM
Welcome to the cabin.

Grab a beer.

Tell us the fish story of the day.
Tell us about the buck that jumped string, or the one just you couldn't track.

My fish story: I was fishing in the lake behind the house this morning. Caught about a 1 pound bass on a spinner. Super hot day, I thought they might go for something deeper and switched lures, then gave up for the mid day.

Went out in the afternoon - hit the perfect nook in the lake. One had to bite. It was a perfect spot for a hot day. And it did. And now you get to read about the one that got away.

I switched from spinner to a green worm. Got a bite, let him run it, reeled, let him run it. He was swimming toward me at one point and made it easy to get a good bit of line. The baby rises above the water for a milisecond and I see it. My mouth dropped open. I yelled for my husband to come. He didn't hear me. I got the (what I would estimate to be 5 lbs) bass all the way to the bank, and as I reached down to grab him, the line snapped. That bastard swam away with the worm.(the second lure I lost in a day).

I can't believe that fish got away. Mr. Stew laughed. "Sure it was. Sure it did. hahahha. Boys, mommy's telling fish stories."

I so wanted that fish. I wanted to show him that fish!

You have a story you want to tell. Go ahead and tell it. :) We'll believe you.

kristie911
08-31-2008, 05:20 AM
My deer story for the day...

I was running a 5k race today. I was running uphill when a deer came out of the woods, slid on the asphalt and nearly wiped out two runners behind me.

It was sort of amusing to watch. :)

Sorry, it's not hunting season yet and I haven't been fishing in a while...it's the best I could do.

Stew21
08-31-2008, 05:32 AM
that's ok! the deer are running around like crazy here. We live on a hilly-curvy road and drive super slow because of all the deer. I can't imagine running into one.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-31-2008, 05:36 AM
I was out at my brother-in-law's farm pond this morning and her grandaughter was fishing with this 20" Barbie pole with a 6# test line. She had to go to the bathroom so she handed me the pole and I caught a 22# catfish on it! Took me almost half an hour to land that sucker!

What?

You don't believe me?

Harumph!

:D

RLB
08-31-2008, 05:37 AM
Deer and fish? I don't have one of those, but I was on a road trip with my mom a few years back and she swore she saw a baby giraffe on the side of the interstate (this is in the middle of Georgia). She wanted me to pull off at the next exit and turn around so she could prove it, but I just told her I believed her so we wouldn't lose any time. Now when I tell the story, it usually goes "Once Mom saw a unicorn on the side of the road..." which really pisses her off!

Stew21
08-31-2008, 05:44 AM
I was out at my brother-in-law's farm pond this morning and her grandaughter was fishing with this 20" Barbie pole with a 6# test line. She had to go to the bathroom so she handed me the pole and I caught a 22# catfish on it! Took me almost half an hour to land that sucker!

What?

You don't believe me?

Harumph!

sure, we believe you. sure we do.
grab a beer, Ol' Girl.

SherryTex
08-31-2008, 05:51 AM
Okay. My dad and I are big big salt water fish people. We love it. Even the hassle involved in maintaining a live bait well --cooler with a battery and ice and a filter, and all the rigs. So, we're out there. It's hot. We've been messing with it for the past three hours. No hits. We switch, I'm on the bottom with a lure, he's on the top with a cork and live bait. He says aloud, "Momma." (My grandmother died when I was in 4th grade), and I was 18. "Momma, I'm here. I got my daughter. I got my boat. I got my bait and I got my line in the water. I'm not leaving here, until I catch a speck." ZZZZZZZZ the line went tight, and on the end, pulled up a five pound beauty. We didn't catch another thing, but that was a beautiful fish and a beautiful prayer. Absolutely a true story.

Rolling Thunder
08-31-2008, 05:58 AM
These are from a few weeks ago. John was having a good day. I've forgotten to take the camera lately and missed some shots of a few really *big* fish we've caught. We've finally figured out what they want and where they've been hiding but we haven't hit any Musky's yet. Hopefully that will change when the weather gets cooler.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u270/Rllgthunder/CopyofS7300143.jpg http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u270/Rllgthunder/CopyofS7300142.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u270/Rllgthunder/CopyofS7300141.jpghttp://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u270/Rllgthunder/CopyofS7300140.jpg

cray
08-31-2008, 06:07 AM
i know a certain someone who once fired off a few roundhouses on an unsuspecting groundhog. :D

maestrowork
08-31-2008, 06:32 AM
I went out tonight, and discovered that I only had two bucks. Not enough doe, I said.

Stew21
08-31-2008, 06:35 AM
groundhog (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2595867&postcount=24611), you say?

Fingers
08-31-2008, 06:50 AM
I was fishing at Clear Lake last weekend. I caught one trout about six pounds on my first cast with a fly, which I released. I didnt catch another fish all day. The water was very clear, and from my float tube I could see the fish swimming practically under my feet. I saw one large trout swimming around that had a hook, corkie and some line hanging from its mouth. It was very spooked and would take off if I got within twenty feet of it. I was just about ready to call it a day when I snagged my line on the bottom. I paddled over to where my line was hung up and gave it a tug and it came loose. As I reeled in my line I noticed that it was tangled up in some line so I was pulling the line in by hand when it started to pull in the other direction. I had about 30 feet of line and the fish pulled it out of my hand. I managed to hold on to the line and there was a trout that was in the 10 - 12lb range. It was pulling my float tube to and fro and my buddy was laughing at me from his float tube until that fish jumped out of the water. I tried to paddle back to shore thinking I might be able to land this fish. I was within about 20 feet of the bank when the fish jumped again and the line broke. It was a beautiful rainbow trout and I was all smiles as it swam away. At least it didnt have all that line hanging out of its mouth now and just might survive if the hook rusts away. Those were the only two fish caught that day.

yer pal Brian

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-31-2008, 04:03 PM
My dad's been gone since 1987, but wherever he is, I'll bet he's got a group of fishermen and fisherwomen around him and he's bendin' their ears with the tales of taking these two:

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/liadano/SidRobbinstheFisherman11-58.jpg

I don't know what the one above weighed, but the catfish below came in at 14 pounds.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/liadano/SidRobbinsand14lbcatfish.jpg

Stew21
08-31-2008, 09:54 PM
I caught a couple of bass this morning. Then I lost another lure...wrapped it around a log.
The first fish was about 1.5 lbs.
The second one was hard as all heck to get in. I called Mr. Stew over. "Are you sure you're not snagged?"
"Nope. He's pullin'." He ran over and got ahold, said, "it would have jumped if it was a bass; it's a catfish." I said I saw it jump. Turned out the fish was tangled in something but the Mr. got him loose and brought him in. Nice 3 lb. bass. But with the line tangled it felt much bigger. I was disappointed when I saw it after all that fight. It felt like a monster. Both fish were thrown back. Of course while all of that was going on, the monster 5-6 pounder jumped up behind it. I didn't get my shot at it. Next cast I got a hold of the end of a log and couldn't get loose for anything.

I'll go out just before sunset and try again. If I lose another green glitter worm I'll have to buy another pack for Mr. Stew.

Haggis
08-31-2008, 10:16 PM
I can't believe that fish got away.

"One cannot lose what one never had." (or something like that)

~Izaak Walton

Haggis
08-31-2008, 10:25 PM
http://www.garybabb.net/FishingDog.gif

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-31-2008, 11:36 PM
http://www.cat-domain.com/cat_cyber/cat-fishing.jpg

Stew21
09-02-2008, 01:29 AM
While I fished today (I only caught a tiny little thing), I decided I'm way too amateur. Time to step up and learn how to "fish for real".
I do love it though.

I really appreciate the "can't lose what you never had."

Thanks Haggis. You're a real pal.

;)

JLCwrites
09-02-2008, 01:34 AM
Peeks in to make sure nobody is Turkey hunting..

Stew21
09-02-2008, 01:36 AM
No turkeys for us yet.
Dove season opened today. Lots of shots firing around us.

Haggis
09-02-2008, 03:06 AM
While I fished today (I only caught a tiny little thing), I decided I'm way too amateur. Time to step up and learn how to "fish for real".
I do love it though.

I really appreciate the "can't lose what you never had."

Thanks Haggis. You're a real pal.

;)

Have you ever read The Compleat Angler? Methinks you'd love it. On many levels.

Stew21
09-02-2008, 05:13 PM
I have heard of it. I don't own a copy of it, but have read massages.
I'll have to get a copy and see if it improves my fishing.
Yesterday afternoon I tried again to fish. Big lure on too light a line. Huge fish - snapped line. Much swearing and I threw the fishing pole. "I quit! I'm not good at this!"
Mr. Stew told me what I'd done wrong, which I didn't want to hear and I called it quits, telling him he should be the one to fish and I sent him to the lake. "They're biting, I'm just not good enough to catch them."
He went out and caught 4 decent fish right after that.
I suck at fishing. (Why do I love to do things I'm no good at?)

Trish, a total amateur fisherwoman and writer.

Shadow_Ferret
09-02-2008, 06:13 PM
My son just started fishing since last year when we went up north. He really enjoys it, but we don't have much time for it (read: Ed's too lazy to get up before dawn and take him). But he has already caught a couple bass. We had gone fishing off a pier and he cast his rod and let go. Literally, it just fell out of his hands and the whole rod sank into the depths.

After reaming him a new one for not keeping a better grip on his rod, I taught him the first rule of fishing. Lie.

We went home and his story is, "I hooked this huge fish and it just yanked the rod out of my hands!"

Haggis
09-02-2008, 06:15 PM
My son just started fishing since last year when we went up north. He really enjoys it, but we don't have much time for it (read: Ed's too lazy to get up before dawn and take him). But he has already caught a couple bass. We had gone fishing off a pier and he cast his rod and let go. Literally, it just fell out of his hands and the whole rod sank into the depths.

After reaming him a new one for not keeping a better grip on his rod, I taught him the first rule of fishing. Lie.

We went home and his story is, "I hooked this huge fish and it just yanked the rod out of my hands!"

:roll:

Haggis
09-02-2008, 06:21 PM
I have heard of it. I don't own a copy of it, but have read massages.
I'll have to get a copy and see if it improves my fishing.
Yesterday afternoon I tried again to fish. Big lure on too light a line. Huge fish - snapped line. Much swearing and I threw the fishing pole. "I quit! I'm not good at this!"
Mr. Stew told me what I'd done wrong, which I didn't want to hear and I called it quits, telling him he should be the one to fish and I sent him to the lake. "They're biting, I'm just not good enough to catch them."
He went out and caught 4 decent fish right after that.
I suck at fishing. (Why do I love to do things I'm no good at?)

Trish, a total amateur fisherwoman and writer.

The Compleat Angler is the Izzac Walton book I referred to earlier. It was written in the 1600s (I'm pretty sure, without Googling it), and is probably more philosophy than practical guide--although there is plenty of practical guide within its covers too. But, since we seldom make our fishing line out of a horse's tail hair any more, I doubt it would be of much practical good to you as a 'how to' book. I do recommend our own AKA Eraser's fishing book, though. It's good info and funny as all get out.

Don't give up on the fishing. You'll get it yet. :)

Pagey's_Girl
09-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Only "fishing" I ever did was at a rainbow trout farm somewhere in TN when I was little. I seem to remember hooking a couple of good-eating ones. Other than that, my only experience is netting reluctant bettas out of their bowls to clean them (the bowls, not the fish...)

Stew21
09-02-2008, 06:31 PM
The Compleat Angler is the Izzac Walton book I referred to earlier. It was written in the 1600s (I'm pretty sure, without Googling it), and is probably more philosophy than practical guide--although there is plenty of practical guide within its covers too. But, since we seldom make our fishing line out of a horse's tail hair any more, I doubt it would be of much practical good to you as a 'how to' book. I do recommend our own AKA Eraser's fishing book, though. It's good info and funny as all get out.

Don't give up on the fishing. You'll get it yet. :)

A good friend of mine has the Walton book. I got to read parts of it. It's almost lyrical. I read parts of it aloud even.
(and yes, it was the 1600's.)

I think my biggest problem with fishing is knowing what to throw. (for the water conditions, the weather, etc) and apparently I have issues with losing lures. The frog lure on the bluegill pole was a big mistake. 4# test isn't enough to bring in the fish the frog caught. Stupid mistake. I just wasn't thinking about that.
when I pick out lures for my nephews for their birthdays (and for Mr. Stew for his birthday and father's day, etc) I do pretty well. I just don't know when the right time to use them is.
It's my new mission. Learn to fish for real.

And I think I'm going to write about it as I do. I'll call it Sissy Fishing...a How-To Book for Women Who Want To Fish (but don't want to ask their husbands how). ;)

cray
09-02-2008, 07:31 PM
A good friend of mine has the Walton book. I got to read parts of it. It's almost lyrical. I read parts of it aloud even.
(and yes, it was the 1600's.)

I think my biggest problem with fishing is knowing what to throw. (for the water conditions, the weather, etc) and apparently I have issues with losing lures. The frog lure on the bluegill pole was a big mistake. 4# test isn't enough to bring in the fish the frog caught. Stupid mistake. I just wasn't thinking about that.
when I pick out lures for my nephews for their birthdays (and for Mr. Stew for his birthday and father's day, etc) I do pretty well. I just don't know when the right time to use them is.
It's my new mission. Learn to fish for real.

And I think I'm going to write about it as I do. I'll call it Sissy Fishing...a How-To Book for Women Who Want To Fish (but don't want to ask their husbands how). ;)

do you smoke a cigar while fishing? 'cause if not, well, that might be the first thing you need to sort out.
it. is. essential.

Stew21
09-02-2008, 07:34 PM
I'll be sure to snap a self- portrait next time I fish - shorts, t-shirt, up you're's hat, I'll be holding a too-small fishing pole with a too-big-lure that will soon be snapped off, never to be retrieved.
I will have a cigar just for you. (Do I have to light it?) I may look a bit green in the photo, but if it'll catch me some fish, I'll try it.
We'll see how I do.

Stew21
09-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Note to self: If I'm going to do this fishing thing, I must make a point to become a better liar, like Ferret's son.

Stew21
09-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Fished last night. Yellow spinner on a bait caster (http://fishing.about.com/od/basicfishinginstruction/a/baitcast.htm). No bites. But I've improved. I didn't tangle the bait caster (though my thumb isn't used to using a bait caster, it is a better rig) and I didn't lose the spinner like so many green worms and that frog. :)
It'll be raining tonight. Too bad I can't go fishing right now. I'm sure they're biting right before the storm.

Mr. Stew is gearing up for bow season. Got all of his stuff out, growing the hunting beard, planning to be gone for the weekend starting opening day. Time to be the hunting widow again.

I have to go to Bass Pro and get him the backpack for hunting that he was asking for before then.

Stew21
09-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Fished yesterday afternoon:

Baitcaster - getting better at controlling the reel spin with my thumb.

Lost - one spinner bait.

Caught - nothing.

Still a lousy liar.

Writing about the adventure of realizing how little I know about fishing and my quest to "gain more knowledge."

quickWit
09-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Have I told you about the time I caught a Steelhead with my bar hands? No? Well then...

*ahem*

About 20 years ago three other guys and I were fishing a tributary of Lake Ontario. We'd already caught a number of fish, I'm guessing between 7-10 lbs, when we saw a good sized fish slide into a deep hole about 40 ft. long. The stream itself was only 6-8 inches deep at either end, so I stood at the downstream end while one of my friends stood at the upstream end. My two other friends proceeded to fish the hole and try and get him.

After a few minutes, One of my friends pointed my way and yelled "There he goes!" Looking behind me I saw the Steelhead scrambling over the rocks in the streambed and making his way to more open water where he'd be difficult to track down. So, being the seasoned sportsman that I am, I dropped my gear, raced down the stream and, diving headlong into the water, grabbed him by the tail just before he escaped.

Of course, it was only after I had him safely corralled that I realized my 35mm camera was still around my neck. Oh yeah. It was toast.

That fish was some good eatin', though. :D

Haggis
09-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Have I told you about the time I caught a Steelhead with my bar hands? No? Well then...

*ahem*

About 20 years ago three other guys and I were fishing a tributary of Lake Ontario. We'd already caught a number of fish, I'm guessing between 7-10 lbs, when we saw a good sized fish slide into a deep hole about 40 ft. long. The stream itself was only 6-8 inches deep at either end, so I stood at the downstream end while one of my friends stood at the upstream end. My two other friends proceeded to fish the hole and try and get him.

After a few minutes, One of my friends pointed my way and yelled "There he goes!" Looking behind me I saw the Steelhead scrambling over the rocks in the streambed and making his way to more open water where he'd be difficult to track down. So, being the seasoned sportsman that I am, I dropped my gear, raced down the stream and, diving headlong into the water, grabbed him by the tail just before he escaped.

Of course, it was only after I had him safely corralled that I realized my 35mm camera was still around my neck. Oh yeah. It was toast.

That fish was some good eatin', though. :D

*turns Quick into the Fish and Game control officers*

quickWit
09-08-2008, 08:33 PM
*turns Quick into the Fish and Game control officers*

You don't understand...that fish was a menace. It was either him or me.

Besides, I was practically in Canada at the time. :D

Seaclusion
09-08-2008, 08:35 PM
And we all know how lax the wildlife laws are in Canada.

Richard

Haggis
09-08-2008, 08:42 PM
You don't understand...that fish was a menace. It was either him or me.

Besides, I was practically in Canada at the time. :D

So, in reality, you were protecting our borders.

quickWit
09-08-2008, 09:01 PM
So, in reality, you were protecting our borders.

Yeah that's right. :)

Haggis
09-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Yeah that's right. :)

:rolleyes:

Stew21
09-21-2008, 04:54 AM
A couple of pics. Mr. Stew caught a beauty. she went back after the photo opp. He catches fish like this. I...well, as you can read from the rest of this thread....don't. That fish was about 7 pounds and was 22 inches long.

And the lake. This is right at home. Our lovely lake. That's taken in the morning. That's a sunrise coming up behind. It's great to watch from the kitchen window with a hot cup of coffee. Great way to start the day. The lake wraps to two other coves along the whole edge of the property. This is just the view from the driveway.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/watstew2/100_1188.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/watstew2/100_1186.jpg

JLCwrites
09-21-2008, 05:43 AM
Wow Trish! It is great that you live on so much property. What a wonderful place for kids to run around and let their imaginations fly. I am sure the fishing trips are making childhood memories too! :)

Stew21
09-21-2008, 05:46 AM
We do love it out here. And the kids have a lot of room to run. The fishing is a definite bonus. :)

Silver King
09-28-2008, 06:36 AM
This thread seems like a good place to recount how my brother-in-law, Stuart, was nearly killed by a fish.

He was visiting Florida from Michigan with the sole purpose of landing a tarpon. Until then, his greatest catch was a twelve pound walleye, which he had mounted and displayed in his "trophy room." I warned him that this trip would be different. And it was.

The first tarpon Stuart fought would be his last. The fish weighed about two hundred pounds, extending beyond seven feet in length and appeared as big around as two lovers slow dancing. The fish jumped several times, slapping the surface hard and creating broad depressions as if bathtubs were falling from the sky.

At first Stuart was excited, then fearful of what he'd hooked into. After several minutes, the fish stopped and turned toward us.

"What's he doing?" Stuart said.

I told him the tarpon was resting and to keep working the rod. The fish suddenly came straight at us, running fast, and just when I thought it would ram the boat, jumped free and soared overhead so close that we had to duck with our faces turned up to watch it pass by as a trail of water rained upon us.

Stuart said, "Holy shit! That tarpon's trying to kill us!"

I tried to assure him the fish was merely frightened and trying to get away, but he said, "Why would he pick the one spot where we are in this whole ocean to jump like that? I'm telling you, he was aiming for us."

Meanwhile, the tarpon sped away at an alarming rate, and I had to motor the boat to catch up to it while Stuart worked the reel at a feverish pace.

Within thirty minutes, the tarpon lay exhausted on its side next to the boat. I pushed the point of a steel gaff under its bottom lip and removed the hook.

Stuart was beside himself, pumping his fist and crying out for joy.

He said, "Can I touch him? Let me touch him."

He stroked the fish's cheek and brought his hand up to sniff his fingers.

I said, "We need to revive him. Let's get some pictures first."

We traded places. I showed Stuart where best to hold the gaff, and told him to wait until I lined up the photo, and on the count of three, to lift the tarpon as high as he could.

As I looked through the viewfinder, I noticed something was wrong. The wrist strap on the gaff handle was wrapped tight around Stuart's forearm. He lifted the fish part way out of the water, smiling; and before I could take a picture, the tarpon shook its head and yanked Stuart overboard.

It took a moment before I realized what happened. I placed the camera in my lap and looked over the side. The surface reopened and both man and fish reappeared, the tarpon soaring skyward as Stuart hung vertically from the fish's mouth, his body flailing as though he'd been thrown from a rearing horse with his arm caught in the reins. The fish shook its head and dislodged Stuart, who landed on his back and sank below the surface.

He reemerged and swam toward the boat, the short gaff still tethered to his arm, Captain Hook in distress.

As he lay sprawled on deck, coughing up seawater that ran down his mouth, he managed to say, "I'm never going fishing with you again."

And he's been true to his word.