Hunters, Fisherman, and other Liars!...Gather here!

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Hunters, Fishermen, and other Liars!...Gather here!

Welcome to the cabin.

Grab a beer.

Tell us the fish story of the day.
Tell us about the buck that jumped string, or the one just you couldn't track.

My fish story: I was fishing in the lake behind the house this morning. Caught about a 1 pound bass on a spinner. Super hot day, I thought they might go for something deeper and switched lures, then gave up for the mid day.

Went out in the afternoon - hit the perfect nook in the lake. One had to bite. It was a perfect spot for a hot day. And it did. And now you get to read about the one that got away.

I switched from spinner to a green worm. Got a bite, let him run it, reeled, let him run it. He was swimming toward me at one point and made it easy to get a good bit of line. The baby rises above the water for a milisecond and I see it. My mouth dropped open. I yelled for my husband to come. He didn't hear me. I got the (what I would estimate to be 5 lbs) bass all the way to the bank, and as I reached down to grab him, the line snapped. That bastard swam away with the worm.(the second lure I lost in a day).

I can't believe that fish got away. Mr. Stew laughed. "Sure it was. Sure it did. hahahha. Boys, mommy's telling fish stories."

I so wanted that fish. I wanted to show him that fish!

You have a story you want to tell. Go ahead and tell it. :) We'll believe you.

Last edited:

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
My deer story for the day...

I was running a 5k race today. I was running uphill when a deer came out of the woods, slid on the asphalt and nearly wiped out two runners behind me.

It was sort of amusing to watch. :)

Sorry, it's not hunting season yet and I haven't been fishing in a while...it's the best I could do.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
that's ok! the deer are running around like crazy here. We live on a hilly-curvy road and drive super slow because of all the deer. I can't imagine running into one.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I was out at my brother-in-law's farm pond this morning and her grandaughter was fishing with this 20" Barbie pole with a 6# test line. She had to go to the bathroom so she handed me the pole and I caught a 22# catfish on it! Took me almost half an hour to land that sucker!

What?

You don't believe me?

Harumph!

:D

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
Deer and fish? I don't have one of those, but I was on a road trip with my mom a few years back and she swore she saw a baby giraffe on the side of the interstate (this is in the middle of Georgia). She wanted me to pull off at the next exit and turn around so she could prove it, but I just told her I believed her so we wouldn't lose any time. Now when I tell the story, it usually goes "Once Mom saw a unicorn on the side of the road..." which really pisses her off!

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I was out at my brother-in-law's farm pond this morning and her grandaughter was fishing with this 20" Barbie pole with a 6# test line. She had to go to the bathroom so she handed me the pole and I caught a 22# catfish on it! Took me almost half an hour to land that sucker!

What?

You don't believe me?

Harumph!

:D

sure, we believe you. sure we do.
grab a beer, Ol' Girl.

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
Okay. My dad and I are big big salt water fish people. We love it. Even the hassle involved in maintaining a live bait well --cooler with a battery and ice and a filter, and all the rigs. So, we're out there. It's hot. We've been messing with it for the past three hours. No hits. We switch, I'm on the bottom with a lure, he's on the top with a cork and live bait. He says aloud, "Momma." (My grandmother died when I was in 4th grade), and I was 18. "Momma, I'm here. I got my daughter. I got my boat. I got my bait and I got my line in the water. I'm not leaving here, until I catch a speck." ZZZZZZZZ the line went tight, and on the end, pulled up a five pound beauty. We didn't catch another thing, but that was a beautiful fish and a beautiful prayer. Absolutely a true story.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
These are from a few weeks ago. John was having a good day. I've forgotten to take the camera lately and missed some shots of a few really *big* fish we've caught. We've finally figured out what they want and where they've been hiding but we haven't hit any Musky's yet. Hopefully that will change when the weather gets cooler.
CopyofS7300143.jpg
CopyofS7300142.jpg

CopyofS7300141.jpg
CopyofS7300140.jpg

Last edited:

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
i know a certain someone who once fired off a few roundhouses on an unsuspecting groundhog. :D

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
I was fishing at Clear Lake last weekend. I caught one trout about six pounds on my first cast with a fly, which I released. I didnt catch another fish all day. The water was very clear, and from my float tube I could see the fish swimming practically under my feet. I saw one large trout swimming around that had a hook, corkie and some line hanging from its mouth. It was very spooked and would take off if I got within twenty feet of it. I was just about ready to call it a day when I snagged my line on the bottom. I paddled over to where my line was hung up and gave it a tug and it came loose. As I reeled in my line I noticed that it was tangled up in some line so I was pulling the line in by hand when it started to pull in the other direction. I had about 30 feet of line and the fish pulled it out of my hand. I managed to hold on to the line and there was a trout that was in the 10 - 12lb range. It was pulling my float tube to and fro and my buddy was laughing at me from his float tube until that fish jumped out of the water. I tried to paddle back to shore thinking I might be able to land this fish. I was within about 20 feet of the bank when the fish jumped again and the line broke. It was a beautiful rainbow trout and I was all smiles as it swam away. At least it didnt have all that line hanging out of its mouth now and just might survive if the hook rusts away. Those were the only two fish caught that day.

yer pal Brian

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
My dad's been gone since 1987, but wherever he is, I'll bet he's got a group of fishermen and fisherwomen around him and he's bendin' their ears with the tales of taking these two:

SidRobbinstheFisherman11-58.jpg

I don't know what the one above weighed, but the catfish below came in at 14 pounds.

SidRobbinsand14lbcatfish.jpg

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I caught a couple of bass this morning. Then I lost another lure...wrapped it around a log.
The first fish was about 1.5 lbs.
The second one was hard as all heck to get in. I called Mr. Stew over. "Are you sure you're not snagged?"
"Nope. He's pullin'." He ran over and got ahold, said, "it would have jumped if it was a bass; it's a catfish." I said I saw it jump. Turned out the fish was tangled in something but the Mr. got him loose and brought him in. Nice 3 lb. bass. But with the line tangled it felt much bigger. I was disappointed when I saw it after all that fight. It felt like a monster. Both fish were thrown back. Of course while all of that was going on, the monster 5-6 pounder jumped up behind it. I didn't get my shot at it. Next cast I got a hold of the end of a log and couldn't get loose for anything.

I'll go out just before sunset and try again. If I lose another green glitter worm I'll have to buy another pack for Mr. Stew.

Last edited:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
While I fished today (I only caught a tiny little thing), I decided I'm way too amateur. Time to step up and learn how to "fish for real".
I do love it though.

I really appreciate the "can't lose what you never had."

Thanks Haggis. You're a real pal.

;)

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
No turkeys for us yet.
Dove season opened today. Lots of shots firing around us.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
While I fished today (I only caught a tiny little thing), I decided I'm way too amateur. Time to step up and learn how to "fish for real".
I do love it though.

I really appreciate the "can't lose what you never had."

Thanks Haggis. You're a real pal.

;)

Have you ever read The Compleat Angler? Methinks you'd love it. On many levels.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I have heard of it. I don't own a copy of it, but have read massages.
I'll have to get a copy and see if it improves my fishing.
Yesterday afternoon I tried again to fish. Big lure on too light a line. Huge fish - snapped line. Much swearing and I threw the fishing pole. "I quit! I'm not good at this!"
Mr. Stew told me what I'd done wrong, which I didn't want to hear and I called it quits, telling him he should be the one to fish and I sent him to the lake. "They're biting, I'm just not good enough to catch them."
He went out and caught 4 decent fish right after that.
I suck at fishing. (Why do I love to do things I'm no good at?)

Trish, a total amateur fisherwoman and writer.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
My son just started fishing since last year when we went up north. He really enjoys it, but we don't have much time for it (read: Ed's too lazy to get up before dawn and take him). But he has already caught a couple bass. We had gone fishing off a pier and he cast his rod and let go. Literally, it just fell out of his hands and the whole rod sank into the depths.

After reaming him a new one for not keeping a better grip on his rod, I taught him the first rule of fishing. Lie.

We went home and his story is, "I hooked this huge fish and it just yanked the rod out of my hands!"

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
My son just started fishing since last year when we went up north. He really enjoys it, but we don't have much time for it (read: Ed's too lazy to get up before dawn and take him). But he has already caught a couple bass. We had gone fishing off a pier and he cast his rod and let go. Literally, it just fell out of his hands and the whole rod sank into the depths.

After reaming him a new one for not keeping a better grip on his rod, I taught him the first rule of fishing. Lie.

We went home and his story is, "I hooked this huge fish and it just yanked the rod out of my hands!"

:roll:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I have heard of it. I don't own a copy of it, but have read massages.
I'll have to get a copy and see if it improves my fishing.
Yesterday afternoon I tried again to fish. Big lure on too light a line. Huge fish - snapped line. Much swearing and I threw the fishing pole. "I quit! I'm not good at this!"
Mr. Stew told me what I'd done wrong, which I didn't want to hear and I called it quits, telling him he should be the one to fish and I sent him to the lake. "They're biting, I'm just not good enough to catch them."
He went out and caught 4 decent fish right after that.
I suck at fishing. (Why do I love to do things I'm no good at?)

Trish, a total amateur fisherwoman and writer.

The Compleat Angler is the Izzac Walton book I referred to earlier. It was written in the 1600s (I'm pretty sure, without Googling it), and is probably more philosophy than practical guide--although there is plenty of practical guide within its covers too. But, since we seldom make our fishing line out of a horse's tail hair any more, I doubt it would be of much practical good to you as a 'how to' book. I do recommend our own AKA Eraser's fishing book, though. It's good info and funny as all get out.

Don't give up on the fishing. You'll get it yet. :)