TOS Trekkie Anyone???

Madisonwrites

The Unicorn Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madisonlovestowrite.blogspot.com
I just want to know how many fans of the original series of Star Trek we have here on AW. It's my fav TV show (has been for eight years and counting!)

Also, if you are a TOS Trekkie, can I get a "What! What!" for the new movie?!? Releases May '09

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an old broad. I watched Star Trek in the sixties and for a time, followed it through re-runs and all the spin offs. I'm not a trekkie anymore, but at one time, I could even name episodes.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'm old-fashioned- nah, maybe I'm just old. Megaditto's...

But it was around this time of year 40 years ago I saw a promo for a 'new show' that featured, among other things, a pointy-eared alien...

I haven't seen a TOS episode in probably ten years - my last Trek veg-out was catching up on daily Voyager reruns during the summer of 2001, but I watched ST/TOS when it was first on, and in reruns in the early '70's (mostly to catch up on any episode I might have missed). I still remember random trivia such as Captain Kirk's middle name, and I think it was only mentioned in one episode. At least I have no clue what the name of that episode is, else I'd consider myself hopeless...

I do recall the one where Kirk was "phased out", presumed lost and dead, then Uhura sees him and gets sent to Sick Bay for mental problems. He "phased back in" several more times, others saw him and they realized he was real, but they had to wait for the right time to beam him back abort, and the aliens were making a force field around the Enterprise because they were in the alien's space...I wrote of this on a professional audio discussion board (we were talking about "phase"), and one of the more noted members immediately came back with the episode title: "The Tholian Web."

I'll be okay as long as I repeat to myself: I am not nerdy. I am not nerdy. I am not nerdy...

Now I've got to go off to the monthly meeting of the Atlanta Hobby Robot Club...

BarbaraKE

Registered
Reaction score
I am a Trekkie and proud of it. But I got started withThe Next Generation (TNG) not The Original Series (TOS).

TOS was already in reruns when I was a kid. The first episode I ever saw involved Kirk lifting up a three-foot-square rock to throw at someone. It was so obviously ridiculous that I turned it off and didn't watch another episode for years. In fact, I didn't see TOS until after I got involved with TNG.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Me, me! I didn't get to see the original in prime time runs, but as a kid, I was watching it in reruns. Then I found the books. Aaaahhhh, another way to get a ST:TOS "fix." I still have loads of those books purchased when I was a kid.

But yeah, I got hooked on TOS young. :) Then came TNG, and I wanted to hate it, and I did at first. But then that cast of characters grew -- and grew on me.

Oh, I think I was 13 when the first TOS movie came out. My mom took a few of my friends and me to the mall the night it opened. I was quite unhappy when I walked out of the theatre, but there it was. A new ST adventure.

Somewhere around here I still have a ST:TMP Happy Meal box. And ST:TOS trading cards. <G> Oh, and my Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Scotty action figures sit (well, stand - they don't sit well <G>) on a bookshelf here in my office. My mom threw out the bridge playset, but I snuck to the garbage and rescues the "dolls" from it before the garbage man came. LOL!

Yes, I am a Trekkie.

Susan G.

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
Oh yes, I'm afraid I was there! Watched the originals when they aired as first runs. Knew it wouldn't last. Anything I liked never did. Sigh. Just couldn't get excited about TNG or any of the others. I still have a bunch of the original episodes on tape and watch them once in a while. They still hold up pretty good.

"The Weed of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit!"

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude with Abram's film. After 'Nemesis' the film franchise really needs rejuvenation, and don't even start on 'Enterprise'. The Original Series will probably never be bettered, though.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor not a carpenter!

yup- trekkie here.

Last edited:

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
I watched ST in the '60s when the orginals were on. I watched reruns throughout the seventies. I taped (some of you will remember that) all the episodes in the eighties. And I still sometimes watch them now (although now they're on disc). Damn, I'm too old for this.

Richard

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Watched the original series (sorry, "TOS" didn't register what it was with me until halfway through the thread--I've always thought of it as "Classic Trek") with my dad back in the 60's, and the reruns were some of the best TV out there for many a decade. I was a member of the Star Trek Welcommittee back in the day (used to know what USS stood for), bought tons of stuff from old Lincoln Enterprises and my first "published" story was Trek fic back before there was slash.

I watched the Next Gen for a season or two but wasn't taken with it. Honestly wasn't taken with any of the other Treks either. They all lacked the spark that caught me up in the original series.

This new movie--I don't know. A couple of the movies with the original cast were brill and some were really stinkers. Since I haven't been a big fan of anything they've spun off so far, I'm really iffy on a "flashback" movie. I'll let a couple friends see it opening weekend and hear what they have to say before I decide if I'll see it in the theater or wait for freebie on On-Demand. I just can't go blindly to opening night with great hope and expectation anymore.

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am much more awake now and can put together a proper post. Then OFG beat me to it with "The City on the Edge of Forever."

That said, one of my favourite quotes from (I think) "Operation - Annihilate" after McCoy threw the full spectrum of light at Spock to get rid of the flying fried egg things.
"You were so worried about his Vulcan eyes, doctor, you forgot about his Vulcan ears."
The sheer cheekiness of that statement didn't hit me until a few years ago.
And Spock leaving a signal trail for rescue at the end of "The Galileo Seven" always brings tears to my eyes.
I saw all the episodes during their original run and so wanted the Star Trek universe to be real so I could grow up and join Starfleet. I still want that.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Best episode ever: City on the Edge of Forever.

No. I'll accept no arguments here. :D (Even though I'm sure I'll start some arguments here...)

I agree, but The trouble with Tribbles is a close second.

Richard

Madisonwrites

The Unicorn Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madisonlovestowrite.blogspot.com
My fav episode is "The Tholian Web" and accordingly, I think it is one of the best. "Tribbles" is GREAT! "City" was never one of my favs, but at least it's not one of the REALLY bad ones. :D

I actually tried to write a Star Trek novel once. Yeah, that didn't go over too well.

I really think the new movie will be great! Then again, Leonard Nimoy is my fav actor and will be in it, so naturally I'm pumped. And the new Enterprise looks fantastic...it looks like the TOS one but better.

As for other Treks, I like VOY and tolerate TNG, but that's it. I hate DS9 and Enterprise? Huh? I thought Spock was the first Vulcan in Starfleet.

Oh, Suirattigas, you're right. That quote is in "Operation--Annihilate!" I'm a total dork when it comes to TOS Trek. I have all the episodes on DVD, about 70 books, Kirk, Spock, and McCoy action figures (from Avon of all places!), and some Hallmark ornaments...even a deck of cards.

Any of you die-hards like me get to see "The Menagerie" on the big screen last year?

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another Trek fan here. I watched the series right from the day the first episode aired. I so wanted to be like Captain Kirk, out exploring the universe. We only had a black and white TV, it was years before I saw it in colour, and was old enough to understand the space-stud aspect of Kirk's character. ;) I now have the set on DVD and just finished watching it from beginning to end a few weeks ago.

Best episode ever: City on the Edge of Forever.

No. I'll accept no arguments here. :D (Even though I'm sure I'll start some arguments here...)
You won't get an argument from me. Legendary science fiction writer Harlan Ellison wrote it and it still stands as one of the best written episodes in any of the Trek series. It was one of the episodes that won a HUGO or NEBULA[SUP]1[/SUP] ... hafta go check, be right back ... yep, the HUGO for Dramatic Presentation in 1968. Just look at some of the writers on the series: Ellison, Norman Spinrad, Theodore Sturgeon ... brilliant science fiction novelists. No wonder the show was so good.

1 -- according to the official site, the Nebula Awards didn't start handing out awards for Best Dramatic Presentation until 1973.

Last edited:

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
Bring it on!
3532690.captainkirk.jpg

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I was a TOS fan. Its no longer my fave sci-fi show, which has been taken by a combination of Babylon 5 and Firefly, but I do recognize it as being the progenitor of all TV sci-fi. Or at least how we know TV sci-fi at this time...

I still think we could use some awesome anthologies, like Twilight Zone or Outer Limits.

Except, not like their shitty remakes.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
YAY ST! Have to say my fav was Voyager: Janeway, 7 of 9, Kes. The original had some excellent ideas even if the whole was a space western.

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
Okay...I love Babylon 5, I was also a Deep Space Nine Groopie. Loved loved, loved Sisko...especially when he got mad...

TOS --some of them are... unwatchable...like the movie Startrek 5, or Nemesis from TNG...or the first season of TNG...or dullest of all, Enterprise/voyager --depending on the epsiode.

Do think we need a sci-fi that remembers the fundamental elements of sci-fi --which is tech that is believable/grounded in reality despite being beyond what is here...which is not explained anymore than a tv/dvd player is explained today, and a struggle which affects relationships and reality, rather than technology...someone...get to writing...

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
I was also a big TOS fan. I got hooked on it went into reruns in Los Angeles in 1976. That was when the Trek fandom was really starting to kick off, and I collected everything I could lay my hands on. I remember going to a big science fiction convention in 1976 also. Uhura was my favorite character because, at the time, there were so few roles on TV for women that were beyond stereotypical roles. To put it into perspective, West Point admitted women for the first time that year.

My favorite episode: Day of the Dove. Michael Ansara was the perfect Klingon.

Now though, I'm not so much of a fan. It came into reruns on TVLand not too long ago, so I watched them. I was amazed at how dated and preachy the episodes were. I can still watch Day of the Dove, but some of the other ones, not so much. I was also a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea fan (big fan of David Hedison) and more involved in that fandom, and now I can't watch the show either--in that case, it's the carelessness of the way they just did things like "No one will notice that this doesn't make sense."

Last edited:

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Today some of it seems really dated, but you have to put it in perspective. The show was conceived at the beginning of the 1960s and the first episode aired on September 8, 1966, nearly three years before man set foot on the moon. In fact, the series was over before the first moon landing. I remember what it felt like back then. There was a feeling the human race could do anything it set its collective mind to. A permanent base on the moon seemed like it would happen within a decade or so, definitely before the turn of the century.

Look at the colourful thingys Spock is always slotting into the ship's computer. Can you say floppy disk? How about the communicator -- the cell phones we use every day were inspired by it. A multi-racial main cast was unheard of at the time, yet Trek did it.

Many of the episodes tackled difficult issues of the day. The Vietnam War was a growing issue; Trek took it on in A Private Little War, where Kirk and the Klingons engaged in an arms race on a previously peaceful planet. They took on racism and other issues in the midst of the greatest social upheaval in American history. The writing was at times as brilliant as anything that had ever been seen on TV up to that point.

Star Trek paved the way for the other Trek series and movies, and for shows like Babylon 5. Without it, imaginative fiction on TV would be far, far different, and I venture to say, quite possibly far less interesting and entertaining.

May the original series live on forever!

-- yes, I have a life size Spock cutout next to my desk, just ask Dawno, she's seen it on my webcam. :)

Last edited: