Abortion chapter

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
I have a chapter in my novel where a character goes through an abortion. This is something I have no experience in, and I wrote it only after doing a lot of research into the medical side and the emotional side both before and after.

I understand it's a very sensitive (and contentious) subject, and I've tried to write the chapter accordingly. If anyone who has experienced the pill-taking abortion method is willing to read my chapter for accuracy, I would be really grateful.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Perks, you're confusing two different medications that work in different ways. The "morning after pill" is a contraceptive, which makes the woman's system inimical to fertilization and implantation. RU-486 is a chemical abortifacient, which terminates an already-fertilized and implanted conception.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Well, there you go. Learn something everyday, don't I? I did think they were the same. Will delete my post!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Well, if she's gone through a chemical abortion more than a couple of days beyond the encounter, what she's thinking would probably be substantially different. But thanks!

I looked it up and saw that they used to call RU-486 'The Morning After' even though it was was a three dose deal and you could use it up to six weeks later. Big difference from what I was talking about.

Now I guess I understand what all the controversy was about. Emergency Contraception (what we call 'The Morning After' pill now) is quite a different proposition from an early stage abortion, in many minds.

At least now I know what all the fuss is about. I didn't before. Thank you IceCreamEmpress!

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
You may also want to consider her partner's reaction; assuming this was a natural fertilization. This can vary all the way from relief, to unspoken or voiced guilt and every range in between. Of course this would depend on how involved he is with the woman at the point of termination. It is not a subject that is often explored.
C

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
Okay, just to clarify, this is the type of situation my character deals with, at around 10 weeks (she's a British woman, where, as you can see from the text below, this type of abortion can occur up to 24 weeks):

A medical termination can be performed up to 24 weeks. This involves giving the patient a course of two different types of medicine. The first medicine (mifepristone) is taken by mouth at the hospital or clinic, with the woman returning 48 hours later. She will then be given a medicine called a prostaglandin, either by mouth or as a vaginal pessary. The termination usually occurs within 12 hours of this when the woman passes the pregnancy vaginally. Pain, is often experienced but pain relief will always be available.

If anyone who has been through this process and would be willing to volunteer to read this part of my novel, please do e-mail/PM me. I understand it's not the easiest of things to relive if you've been through something like this (especially after reading some women's stories on some internet support sites).

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, just to clarify, this is the type of situation my character deals with, at around 10 weeks (she's a British woman, where, as you can see from the text below, this type of abortion can occur up to 24 weeks):

A medical termination can be performed up to 24 weeks. This involves giving the patient a course of two different types of medicine. The first medicine (mifepristone) is taken by mouth at the hospital or clinic, with the woman returning 48 hours later. She will then be given a medicine called a prostaglandin, either by mouth or as a vaginal pessary. The termination usually occurs within 12 hours of this when the woman passes the pregnancy vaginally. Pain, is often experienced but pain relief will always be available.

If anyone who has been through this process and would be willing to volunteer to read this part of my novel, please do e-mail/PM me. I understand it's not the easiest of things to relive if you've been through something like this (especially after reading some women's stories on some internet support sites).

I don't know if it's different in Britain or not, but after a woman gets to a certain stage in pregnancy, many clinics will not do the pill by mouth. I haven't had the procedure done but was going to do due to the fact my baby had Trisomy 18, a fatal chromosomal disorder. I was 19 weeks, and my experience would have been going to the clinic and having laminaria sticks inserted in the cervix, which makes the woman dilate. A few hours later, the pregnancy is removed while the patient is under anasethia (sp).

I didn't have it done, but my daughter passed away two weeks later. I had to go in to be induced. They used cytotec pills in my cervix for that, every six hours, and delivered about 12 hours later. Most of my story is on my blog, if you want to check it out.

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
Southern Girl, I'm sorry for your loss and I hope your healing after such a traumatic experience.

Nobody else has been in touch to read through my chapter, so if someone who has been through the pill-taking method of abortion is reading this for the first time and feels they can face reading - and commenting on the accuracy - of my character's experience, I really would be grateful.