Mail Call!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What time does the day's mail arrive at your home? Are you in the US? (Which state?)

I'm annoyed because I'm expecting something, it's 5:25 p.m., and as usual, our mail hasn't yet arrived. In winter, it's full dark before it's delivered.

Maryn, who believes it must be someone else's turn to be last on the route

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mine usually comes in at about 1pm or so at the latest. 5:25pm is rough. I've never lived somewhere where the mail came in that late.

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
That would suck- being last on the route.
I'm in Southern California and my mail comes between 10:30 and 11:30 AM.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
My first house (San Diego) was last on the mail run. We were out in the boondocks, the carrier drove his own car! Mail arrived at 5-6pm, and our mailbox was 1/4 mile walk from our front door. (hugs) I completely understand.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
SE Michigan. We're a 1/4 mile outside the city limits, which I guess puts us on the "rural" route. I think the mail lady hits our place on her way back to the post office in town. We usually get the mail after 4pm. If there's any sort of traffic back up, special packages, etc, then that causes delays. In the winter, with slippery roads, it's often later.

I don't really notice because we let the mail accrue over several days (mail getting days are currently Tuesday and Friday on Hubby's way home.) You could just get it the next morning... then it's be early. =)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Luckily, my mail comes in the morning. Usually around 10 am. R.I.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Mine arrives around 9.30am which is a miracle considering I am four miles from the nearest town down a narrow lane with no name and there's no house number. We don't have post (zip) codes in Ireland either. About two dozen of us have the same address which is the townland (District - anything from an acre upwards in area) then the nearest postal town (10 shops 12 pubs and a church) then the County. When you move in you have to present yourself at the post office and explain carefully which house you are in which is then referred to in perpetuity as so-and-so's house even if they have been dead for twenty years.
All in all, 9.30 is pretty good.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Snicker - more pubs than shops - My kind of town!

Says the woman whose town was once in the Guiness Book of Records for Most Pubs per Head of Population in GB.

I get my mail by 10am - but then a) I live quite close to the sorting office and b) my Mum was a postie, and the guys who work there are still scared of her...

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Snicker - more pubs than shops - My kind of town!

Says the woman whose town was once in the Guiness Book of Records for Most Pubs per Head of Population in GB.

Which town was that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
I live in portland oregon. I get my mail anywhere from 130pm to after 5pm. I got my mail just after one today. must be a long weekend coming up, thats when I usually get it early.

yer pal Brian

Ageless Stranger

Dave Brubeck kicks your ass.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a brit and luckily, the sorting office is only three minutes down the road. My post usually arrives between nine and ten. Which is good, because my paitience wouldn't holdout much longer than that.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in Nebraska, and I live near the edge of the city limits. My mail shows up M-F at around noon.

On Saturdays, we have a different carrier, and it can so up as late as 3pm, which isn't too bad.

When we lived in NC, our mail carrier would show around 5pm.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Mine gets delivered early, about 9:30 a.m., but the building staff sorts it and delivers it about 11. NYC

Is that odd? I always thought it was illegal to mess with anyone's mail, but that seems to be the way it's done and no one has an issue with it.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
These Okie mailpersons can't quite decide just when they want to deliver the Ol' Mail. It comes at all hours - from 9am-ish to as late as 6. We get so much mail, I always figure when there's no mail at all, they've decided to take the day off completely and pretend there wasn't any for us.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
My mail use to arrive anywhere between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. Then our mail guy got his butt reamed and almost fired because they thought he was loafing off. He was but everyone had grown use to it. Now my mail is delivered between 11 - 11:15 a.m. everyday. Even when we were in the Tropical Storm last week, the sucker was here on time. I do think the post office scared him.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
NE Pennsylvania- Out in the boonies and yes the mail man drives his own car- I get mail between 1:30 and 2:30- If there is something that won't fit in the box, he will bring it up to the house- Kind of nice when you figure I have a 1200 ft long driveway-not paved even!

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Northern Virginia on top of a <snicker> mountain but it's here around 11:30a. Not bad considering when we lived in town we were lucky to see it by 6p if it came at all.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
At work between 11 AM - noon, except for yesterday when Terry, our carrier, got a flat tire on his truck. Then it was 2:30 PM.

At home, I have a PO Box, but the post office closes at five - when I get off work - so I pick up the previous day's mail the next morning, The only thing I hate is that if I have a package I can't get it until the weekend.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
When we first arrived in Florida 19 years ago, our mail delivery was at 10 a.m. Now, it arrives 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm, and each day it seems to get a little later. I'm not complainin' as long as there is an acceptance inside the mailbox. :D

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard that Americans get 2 deliveries a day. Is that not true?
No, that's not true. It's just another rumor to make Canadians feel inferior to their state-side cousins. As if they didn't have enough to envy us for already. ;)