I'm in Publisher's Weekly!!

rachel.moore.hawkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
readingwritingrachel.blogspot.com
Hey, all! I've been very quiet around here pretty much since April, which was when my first book, Demonglass, sold in a 3 book deal to Hyperion. y agent advised me to not inform the interwebz until the announcement was official. Well, it's 5 months later, and I'm finally official! Here's the blurb that was in Publisher's Marketplace today:

Debut author Rachel Hawkins' paranormal YA trilogy starting with DEMONGLASS, about a sixteen-year-old witch shipped off to a boarding school for witches, shapeshifters, and faeries, where the traumas of mortal high school are nothing compared to the goings on at "Freak High," for publication in winter 2010, to Jennifer Besser at Hyperion, at auction, in a three-book deal, by Holly Root at Waxman Literary Agency (NA).

I was totally thrilled to see it, and then I discovered that it was also in Publisher's Weekly! You can find it here http://www.publishersweekly.com/enewsletter/CA6591106/2788.html . It's under "Rights Reports" near the bottom.

It's been KILLING me not to talk about all this, as it's obviously crazy exciting, and I owe a HUGE debt of gratitude to all of you lovely folks at AW. This site was more helpful than I ever could've imagined!

Also, to get all Lifetime movie/Oprah, this experience has been a dream come true. I was working a job I hated, and so I quit and cashed in my retirement to write this book. I knew nobody in publishing, and I live in a tiny town in AL, so I was expecting a major uphill climb. To have that risk pay off is truly mind blowing!

So thanks everybody!

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
:hooray: Congratulations! I'm so thrilled for you!! It must've been such a challenge staying tight lipped about this new. You really should go out and celebrate this success!!!!!! :hooray:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats and well done :snoopy::partyguy:

:PartySmil:TheWave:

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
Awesome! I saw it on PW this morning and thought, "Hey, I think I remember that name from AW..."

Sounds like a great series. Congratulations!

MKL1025

Registered
Reaction score
Yay! I'm sure Holly was a fantastic guide through your journey! I can't wait to read it!!

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Rachel, you kick butt! I can't believe you didn't "slip" earlier and start saying things like, "Well, IF I had sold this novel... say, to Hyperion in a 3-book deal... I'd probably have gone out and bought some new shoes. Hey, look! What are these on my feet? Why, they're shiny new shoes!"

So proud of you!

rachel.moore.hawkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, everybody! And Jenna, that's SO why I had to stay away from AW, ha ha! I'm the world's worst secret keeper, and it would have been WAAAAY too tempting! These past 5 months have been torture! But I have to say, now that it's all out and announced, it was worth the wait!

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome. :D The book sounds really interesting, too. Can't wait!

JasonA

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, all! I've been very quiet around here pretty much since April, which was when my first book, Demonglass, sold in a 3 book deal to Hyperion. y agent advised me to not inform the interwebz until the announcement was official. Well, it's 5 months later, and I'm finally official! Here's the blurb that was in Publisher's Marketplace today:

Debut author Rachel Hawkins' paranormal YA trilogy starting with DEMONGLASS, about a sixteen-year-old witch shipped off to a boarding school for witches, shapeshifters, and faeries, where the traumas of mortal high school are nothing compared to the goings on at "Freak High," for publication in winter 2010, to Jennifer Besser at Hyperion, at auction, in a three-book deal, by Holly Root at Waxman Literary Agency (NA).

I was totally thrilled to see it, and then I discovered that it was also in Publisher's Weekly! You can find it here http://www.publishersweekly.com/enewsletter/CA6591106/2788.html . It's under "Rights Reports" near the bottom.

It's been KILLING me not to talk about all this, as it's obviously crazy exciting, and I owe a HUGE debt of gratitude to all of you lovely folks at AW. This site was more helpful than I ever could've imagined!

Also, to get all Lifetime movie/Oprah, this experience has been a dream come true. I was working a job I hated, and so I quit and cashed in my retirement to write this book. I knew nobody in publishing, and I live in a tiny town in AL, so I was expecting a major uphill climb. To have that risk pay off is truly mind blowing!

So thanks everybody!

Dpn't mean to get personal but that seems somewhat lucrative. "A Three Book Deal," now that is great.

rachel.moore.hawkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks again, everyone, for all of your kind words! Y'all rock!

Also, if any of you are interested, I'm blogging all this week about my path from disgruntled teacher to writer. I love to read other people's stories about their publication journeys, so I figured I'd put mine out there, too! You can check it out by going to my website, and from there to my blog.

Thanks again!!