PDA

View Full Version : My writing career is over. I bought a kitten.

stuckupmyownera
08-28-2008, 02:27 PM
It's only been five days and I'm going insane from writing withdrawal. I love him to bits - he's so cute and clever and playful and affectionate and SOO loving - but he needs so much attention! And when I do make it to my computer he isn't happy playing alone by my feet for long, and invariably ends up climbing up onto my shoulder for a sleep (so that I end up hunched over for fear of him falling off/tearing my neck to shreds) or sleeping between me and my keyboard or ON my mouse hand, making typing pretty much impossible.

I know lots of you out there are cat people so I just wanted to share my joy and pain!

I love him so much!

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o316/stuckupmyownera/samson054.jpg

SLThomas
08-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Ah he's a cutie pie!
I have two cats myself and wouldn't mind a third actually. If I see a little orange tabby...

Neurotic
08-28-2008, 02:37 PM
What you have there is one adorable kitten.

I once had a kitten who regularly overestimated how high he could jump. If I was at the computer and he wanted to get onto my lap I'd end up with a kitten hanging from my forearm by his claws. I soon learned to keep an eye out for him and move my arm so he hooked onto the armrest instead. Of course once he was up he made typing impossible because he'd chase my fingers.

Deccydiva
08-28-2008, 03:04 PM
I'm so envious. I had cats for 20 years but now I have a dog who thinks it's his mission to rid the world of everything feline.:e2cry: No more cats for a while...

Edited to add: I didn't have any cats at the time I bought the dog, so there were no rehoming issues, in case you wondered. I do miss them. Let's see plenty of pics of yours!

Inky
08-28-2008, 03:09 PM
My cat of 16 years use to be the same way as a kitten.
Cure: create small bedding on desk near computer and place one of your socks...er...clean...on bedding. Don't ask me why, but most cats love those white socks...or a T-shirt (I had one cat that use to suckle a T-shirt because she was the runt and had been taken from her mother too early), anyway, kitteh is now at eye level with you...but at first, she/he will be curious with what's going on by way of keyboard...but in the end, content to be near you, versus at your feet, he/she should settle down and sleep as you type.

EriRae
08-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Adorable kitten!

Hope you get more sound advice. I just dealt with having a cat in my lap all the time. We had her front-declawed so she didn't kill my fingers while I typed, but she did create more than a few spelling errors by "helping."

alleycat
08-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Resistance is futile. Come to the dark side. Come . . .

When the cats take over the world you will be one of our obedient minions.

qwerty
08-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Let's see plenty of pics of yours!

Would love to show my kitten called qwerty because he insisted on sitting on my keyboard, but have no idea how to post piccies.

Another cat, Holly, would sit between the infra-red keyboard/mouse and my husband's dongle. Took him a while to suss out why his typing fingers were impotent.

alleycat
08-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Would love to show my kitten called qwerty because he insisted on sitting on my keyboard, but have no idea how to post piccies.
You could always make it your profile picture. Click my name and check my profile. That's my cat Anna (doing what she does best, knocking stuff off the table).

You can upload a picture to your profile by going to User CP and then to Edit Profile Picture. Then just be sure your photo fits the picture size limits.

Lyra Jean
08-28-2008, 03:35 PM
you have an adorable cat.

Keyboard Hound
08-28-2008, 04:11 PM
The precious little fellow is going to help your writing. You'll have all kinds of cut kitten stories to tell. Makes for good articles. Usually I have from one to three cats on my desk or under it at any given time. I have one corner cleared off for a cat bed. When I can't stand them anymore, I chase them out and close the door.

Just wait until he notices the movement on the screen!

Bubastes
08-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Awww, such an adorable kitten! I made silly boodgiewoodgie sounds when I saw the picture.

DeleyanLee
08-28-2008, 04:25 PM
That is an adoreable kitten. And you'd best start training both of you where the boundaries are immediately or your thread title will be a given.

My cat is 10 years old and learned as a kitten that sitting on the keyboard and impeding my typing are BAD things. However, if I'm working on the laptop in the recliner, she usually will curl up on my knees behind the computer, or between me and the arm of the chair, which is very nice.

willietheshakes
08-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Another cat, Holly, would sit ... husband's dongle... Took him a while to suss out why ... impotent.

I really need to have my first cup of coffee in me before I start checking AW.

Phaeal
08-28-2008, 05:42 PM
My kittens used to insist on sitting on my lap while I typed. I devised a baby sling from plush fabric in which they could nestle higher on my chest, and that kept them out of my way. Worth experimenting with.

auntybug
08-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Bought??? Holy crap. They are getting tossed by the dozen by my house! When you're ready for another - give me a holler :D Good luck getting back to writing ;)

Sassee
08-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Yeah, get used to the cat at the keyboard. Whenever we're sitting in a chair at our desk, both cats like to take turns jumping up to sit in our lap. Whenever I'm on the laptop and not at my desk, both cats have a tendency to decide to walk in front of the screen at the most inconvenient moments (usually when I happen to be playing a game, whereupon my character in said game promptly dies since I couldn't see what was happening to it). Generally I've taught mine to not walk on the keyboard, but that doesn't stop them from walking over it as often as they see fit.

Ahhh, cats. At least they don't *drool* on the keyboard, right? :)

tehuti88
08-28-2008, 06:05 PM
OhmyGod he's so mushy and cute!! :D

Fortunately my (adult 14lbs) cat is of the really ultra-macho "Oh c'mon, don't HUG me, this is embarrassing!" type and just prefers to zip around the house and claw at the blinds and knock things over and walk around howling and...hm...well, I guess my cat is pretty distracting too. :roll:

My cat: "You love that computer more than you love me!"

Me: "Well, I can't type on you."

:D

smoothseas
08-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Way too cute!!!!

Makes me want to run right out and adopt a litter or two (or three...)

Broadswordbabe
08-28-2008, 06:26 PM
Aww! Too cute! Yeah, makes me want another one too....and black cats rock. Give him a snuggle from me.

Tachyon
08-28-2008, 06:33 PM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/cat_proximity.png (http://xkcd.com/231/)
I love my cat to death, but she has this habit of coming up and sitting next to me while I'm at the computer (hopefully writing!). She'll just sit there, looking at me--I know she's there--until I turn around and start paying attention to her. Quite irresistible.

stuckupmyownera
08-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Bought??? Holy crap.

Hehe. Well it was a donation really, since we got him from a charity rescue place, and they need the money I guess since there are so many cats that need places like this. Plus he's vetchecked and microchipped and stuff; I think it's worth it to know you're getting a healthy cat.

Thanks everyone. My desk is a little on the small side but I've managed to squish a cushion in beside my monitor and, with a bit of persuasion, he's starting to take to it. At the moment he's asleep with his back half on it, his legs hanging over the keyboard and his face smooshed against the desk! We'll get there.

I've tried the sling idea too, Phaeal - I wore a hooded jumper backwards and put him in the hood - but he didn't stay comfy for long and kept scrambling back up onto my shoulder! Anyway, probably not a good habit to be in when he gets bigger...

Inky
08-28-2008, 06:57 PM
I love my cat to death, but she has this habit of coming up and sitting next to me while I'm at the computer (hopefully writing!). She'll just sit there, looking at me--I know she's there--until I turn around and start paying attention to her. Quite irresistible.

Obi Wan Kenobi Kitteh

narnia
08-28-2008, 07:26 PM
The first time the affectionate half of my matched pair jumped up on my laptop as I was working on one of my mss I let out an instinctive yell of 'Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!' tinged with utter despair and banshee-like wailing which prompted her to run for her life.

She has never tried it again.

The sad thing is that what she produced by landing on my keyboard was probably better than anything I'd written that day .... :cry:

The less affectionate half likes to sit on my desk and just stare at me while I work. It's kind of disconcerting.

I ended up using that in my current ms.

:e2cat::e2cat:

gypsyscarlett
08-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Although I'm more of a dog person- that kitty is so adorable!
Congrats on gaining a new member of your family. :)

Soccer Mom
08-28-2008, 07:58 PM
I know I should probably punt this to the Office Party, but I don't care. A thread about cats does belong at a writer's roundtable.

I don't know how I would write without my two furry helpers. (I might like to learn, but that that'll never happen.)

Meg likes to scan copies of her tail, chase my fingers, catch the mouse cord, etc... Chloe just wants to be in my lap at all times.

jennifer75
08-28-2008, 08:00 PM
We had her front-declawed so she didn't kill my fingers while I typed, but she did create more than a few spelling errors by "helping."

Slight derail.....knew someone who front-declawed their cat, it learned to defend with its hind legs. Really. Was amazing.

FennelGiraffe
08-29-2008, 01:21 AM
I took this picture (http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/3198/img4888gy5.jpg) just the other day. Phoebe likes to 'helpfully' sit in front of the monitor.

All three of mine have learned that walking on the keyboard makes Mama yell very loudly, though.

Bubastes
08-29-2008, 01:24 AM
One of my cats ignores me like she always does. The other one lies by my feet and talks. I think she expects me to take dictation or something.

TheIT
08-29-2008, 01:29 AM
Congrats on the new kitten!

Neither one of my cats can fit on my lap if I'm trying to type, so I put a footstool with a cushion right next to my chair. That way they're close and can still see what I'm doing. Not a perfect solution since they don't always stay there, but it helps.

Clair Dickson
08-29-2008, 01:56 AM
My brother's cat has the annoying habit of helping herself to the back inch of any chair between occupant and seat. Especially when we're gaming-- lean foward to play, sit bacak on cat.

And when she hops onto your lap, she always aims her butt at you. Pet her and she lifts her butt right into your face. Nice cat. I prefer her behind me, at least I don't get cat butt in my face.

I used to have a cat who would knock on the door when she wanted to be let in. It was an old door with a window in the top half. Shadow would jump up, latch her claws into the door and scracth/ knock on the window with one paw.

benbradley
08-29-2008, 02:17 AM
Bought??? Holy crap. They are getting tossed by the dozen by my house! When you're ready for another - give me a holler :D Good luck getting back to writing ;)
It's surely not the first time an aspiring writer bought something that's available for free. I see "Free Kittens" signs around every once in a while, and also on the local Freecycle list, but I live in a doghouse house with dogs, usually out, but sometimes in, and I suspect a cat wouldn't last long around here. The huge rottweiler in my profile is actually an old 99 pound pussycat. When there's lightning and thunder he just about scratches a hole in the door trying to get inside the house.

I look forward to getting out of the doghouse house with dogs, so I can then get a cat, as I used to have so many years ago. I've learned to love dogs, but I really miss being had by having a cat.

tehuti88
08-29-2008, 02:20 AM

Love that cartoon. :D I regularly walk around the house singing, "Kitty's got fur, kitty's got fur, kitty's got all kinds of fur, short fur, long fur, black fur, white fur, lots and lots of fur! Look at all that fur! Kitty's got spots, kitty's got spots, kitty's got lots of spots..." etc. etc. ad nauseam. I think he hates me for it. :ROFL:

My cat stares at me from all the way across the room and I sense it. He does not stop. Just stares. It. Drives. Me. Insane.

I can't get over the OP's picture!! He looks so round and adorable. Like he's saying, "C'mon, why are you spending all your time playing with the computer when you could be playing with me??" :D

And when she hops onto your lap, she always aims her butt at you. Pet her and she lifts her butt right into your face. Nice cat. I prefer her behind me, at least I don't get cat butt in my face.

A-ha-ha-ha-ha!! My cat loves to present his butt to be rubbed. He'll stop by a person and just stand there with tail upright and twitching, waiting, until you rub his lower back. *LOL*

dgiharris
08-29-2008, 02:26 AM
You could get another kitten, they could keep each other company

Mel...

Matera the Mad
08-29-2008, 05:59 AM
There is no better writing companion. As soon as the kitten has mastered spelling, punctuation, grammar, and veging out on your lap, you've got it made. Just the veging out is enough really. However, it can make it hard to reach the keyboard if both of you are sturdily built.

Red-Green
08-29-2008, 07:19 AM
After six long years of distractions, one of my cats and I have finally worked out a symbiotic petting/writing relationship:
http://a5.vox.com/6a00c2252570aaf21900fad691b2e50005-pi

bsolah
08-29-2008, 07:47 AM
I want one. Damn, I had two cats that weren't allowed in the house as a kid and then my old housemate had a crazy cat. I want one of my own. A nice one that sits near when I write.

Damn, stupid apartment and landlord.

nicolen
08-29-2008, 12:27 PM
As I write this, I'm sitting on the sofa, laptop in my lap and my cat is cuddled up against my leg. He reminds me to pat him every few minutes. Life is good...

Unfortunately, he occasionally forgets that he's not tiny anymore and tries cuddling up on my chest. Yeah, not so good...

EriRae
08-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Slight derail.....knew someone who front-declawed their cat, it learned to defend with its hind legs. Really. Was amazing.

Oh yeah. I have ulna-length scars to prove it. She's very adept with her back claws.

selkn.asrai
08-29-2008, 04:39 PM
My kitten, Vlad, doesn't chase the keys. But he can't exist without splaying himself out over my lap or sitting on my shoulder; if I refuse to let him do either, he sits beside me and puts his paw on my knee, like he's consoling me. He's adorable, but makes it sort of hard to type. And when he can't sit near me, he gives the Puss-in-Boots-from-Shrek sad eyes.

Can't win with a kitten. :P

Pagey's_Girl
08-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Awww. Congratulations on the (intrusive) new baby!

icerose
08-29-2008, 05:23 PM
I love kittens, cats if they're friendly and don't shed all over, but unfortunately I'm allergic to both. I can handle dogs as long as they are bathed weekly, after that week, I react badly between hives, sneezing, and stuffiness. And I could never have a hairless, so we have a lizard.

Red-Green
08-29-2008, 06:35 PM
Why could you "never have a hairless" kitty? I love my naked cats. Sure, I would have ones with hair, but my husband is allergic to hairy cats.

And I could never have a hairless, so we have a lizard.

helga
08-31-2008, 11:35 PM
My writing career is over. I bought a kitten.

I love him so much!

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o316/stuckupmyownera/samson054.jpg

I bought a kitten and she started my writing career! :o)

blacbird
09-01-2008, 12:02 AM
First, you need to know some things about cats. You did not buy a kitten. The kitten permitted you to purchase him. If you prove docile and compliant enough, he will permit you to live in his house. These are things you must understand.

caw

helga
09-01-2008, 12:08 AM
Exactly!
Dasha adopted my family and taught me how to write

katiemac
09-01-2008, 12:34 AM
Get a laptop! I was fostering kittens a couple of months ago. When I sat cross-legged with the laptop, one of the kittens loved to sleep under it because of the heat. The other sat next to me.

JimmyB27
09-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Wait until he gets a bit older, he'll be your ticket into the world of publishing - http://www.meganlindholm.com/Famous%20Writer.html

HeronW
09-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Black kitties rock!

Alice.S
09-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Aww its soooo cute!!
I have five cats and want another.
I hope you get your flare for writing back. Maybe write a story about your new kitten. Nature makes everything so cute as babies. Whats his name?

stuckupmyownera
09-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the story, JimmyB27, and all the comments, everyone. I am now learning to type one-handed while cradling him in the other arm. I do think things would be easier if I had a laptop, but alas, I don't have the funds. (Mostly because I spent them on the kitten. Duh!)