Downtown San Francisco

kopperhead

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kopperhead100.blogspot.com
Can anyone give me the following info:

1. Name of a street in downtown San Francisco that has a few upscale department stores; and
2. the name of those stores (at least two).

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it.
k

Eeek

AW Addict
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Macy's and Neiman Marcus on Geary Street, though it's probably more common to say on Union Square. Bloomingdales and Nordstroms in the shopping center thingamajig on Market Street.

kopperhead

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kopperhead100.blogspot.com
Thank you Eeek and Rugcat, for both mentioning Union Square. I was picturing Macy's with a big square in front of it and a parking garage nearby, but couldn't recall the Geary Street. I doubt I wil mention the street since you reminded me of Union Square--I'll use that. It has been almost 20 years since I've been to San Francisco, and I can see it in my head but couldn't remember the names.
k

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
The parking garage is under the square, which was extensively remodeled a few years ago. You may want to google some pictures if you plan on describing the place at all. IIRC, Saks is catty-corner across the square from Macy's.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
I. Magnin, Gumps, The City of Paris around Union Square as well as J. Magnin, The White House and Roos Brothers among others were constants during my formative years.

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of the stores that were there even ten years ago have moved or closed and new ones come up. Depending on the year your novel's set in, you may want to check. Macy's has been there for ever, though, at the same location on Union Square.