How could a publisher, with an author's recommendation, help a non-profit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCathy

Writer when I grow up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherinebusinelle.com
Sorry for the confusing title, guys; I can barely manage to keep this all straight in my head. Here's the situation:

I'm the staff writer for a non-profit called Mom's Breastaurant (www.momsbreastaurant.org) that provides tents with feeding areas and changing tables for infants at outdoor events.

MB's owner contacted representatives of a famous doctor/author about possible sponsorship.

The author's representatives asked if we can think outside the box on ways to get their publisher to help with MB. We're already pretty sure that they will be donating books to be used as raffle prizes and reading material in all the tents. So we need to think of other things to put into a proposal to them (with the helpful backing of the doctor/author).

Any ideas? Again, sorry this is a little convoluted to understand! Feel free to ask clarifying questions.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
What is the topic of the author's book?

KCathy

Writer when I grow up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
He's actually written several about pregnancy, birth, and newborn/infant/toddler care. He's one of about five birth-related authors that have near-total name recognition in the U.S., btw.

cpickett

Registered
Reaction score
Where ever the voices in my head like to be
Website
www.brighterdaypublishing.com
Hi,
Just to clarify,
MB approached Dr. BabyExpert's publicist/rep. Rep wants ideas from MB to pitch to their own publisher? If I am understanding this correctly, the situation strikes me as odd at first read.

If you are indeed dealing with a publicist, their whole job is to find ways to promote Dr. BabyExpert. They also know their publisher and what would interest them, much better than your organization ever could. Also, if the doc is already well-known, someone on their team has a special expertise in national PR strategy. If your group is smaller, or less experienced, they should be taking the lead here, but they're coming to you for ideas?

Am I getting the gist of the situation, or did I misunderstand somewhere?

KCathy

Writer when I grow up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for being interested enough to seek clarification! You understand correctly. Their PR expert wants MB to pitch to the publisher, but with their help and stated blessing. She wanted MB to come up with ideas that might be unusual or specific to the unique nature of their business. Since there aren't a lot of organizations that supply a relaxation/baby care area for free, I think they wanted my friend's input on new ideas especially suited to MB's unique nature.

cpickett

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay, things are getting clearer. I'm thinking a simpler version of your question would be:
1. How can MB convince the publisher of pregnancy,birth,babycare books to donate or sponsor MB's babycare areas at community events?

2. How can MB creatively use the publisher's books (and/or other materials) beyond raffles and a few to have out for visitors to peruse while they're in the tents?

Is that on target?

KCathy

Writer when I grow up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I love it when someone takes my rambling, unclear thoughts and concisely nails them down in plain English. And I call myself a writer!

That's exactly right. Thank you. :)

cpickett

Registered
Reaction score
Website
No problem! Sometimes it's easier to dissect something when you're not as close to it.

Now, while I try to think of a specific idea for you to pitch, my first recommendation is to go to http://publicityhound.com (if you aren't already familiar with it) and take a look around at the special reports. Joan is one of the best in the publicity biz and she may have something that you can get and work with right away. The prices are very reasonable too.

Next, sign up for the newsletter. It comes out each Tuesday and there's great info in that too. In addition, there's a section called "Help this Hound" where readers send her scenarios they need help with. Yours would fit in just fine. I know she said she was running out of questions a couple of weeks back, so if she didn't get bombarded, your question could go in shortly.

Glad I could be of help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.