Windows Vista: What's up with that?

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Have you seen the ad? Talk about what's up with that?!
Has anyone seen the ad Seinfeld did with Bill Gates?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz6amk3P-hY&eurl=http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/09/05/microsoft-seinfeld-ad-not-exactly-a-hit

It's as if they did an ad about nothing. ;) The reviews are terrible (there are over 1,000 comments), and for now, I have to ask "What's up with that ad?" Sure, it's got it's quirky moments, but it's 90 seconds long, and I'm still not sure what's the point of the ad. Is this supposed to make me want to buy Microsoft? Or cheap shoes? :)

Maybe it will be better once we see a whole series of ads. We can only hope. I also hope they trim the ad or something, because 90 seconds of watching Jerry & Bill look at shoes...

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
It's cute. It's goofy. Both of which have sold before.

In the end though? It just left me wanting to have my own Shoe Circus Clown card. Just to have one.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I saw the Bill Gates/ Seinfeld ad. I thought it dumb. Maybe it was the cold medicine (though that usually makes everything funny.) Maybe I was tired. Maybe it's because my laptop has Vista and I curse it out every other day.

Or maybe it was just dumb. :D

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
The Shoe Circus Clown card picture was cropped from his police booking photo.

gatesmug.jpg

www.thesmokinggun.com

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Microsoft is such a large company. Their operating systems--for which they're arguably most famous--have never been perfectly stable.

Certainly MacOS is no darling. It's piggybacking on BSD, cutting out a lot of the legwork. Now that people are running OS X on x86 architectures, they're having to eat the same shit MS has had to eat for decades. It sure ain't stable yet. And it sure ain't as pretty as people say.

MS, on the other hand, built their product from the ground up and had to do so with much broader hardware requirements. With a much larger user base and developer base and body of software, there are countless issues with backwards compatibility. I don't blame them at all for having trouble getting stuff working right.

And MS turns out high-quality products in other regards. The newer versions of Visual Studio are great, for example.

But what do I know about any of this? I'm just a software developer.

(My main gripe is Internet Explorer. What a piece of shit.)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea what the commercial's about because every time I see Jerry Seinfeld on my TV, I change the channel.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
This is the biggest publicity stunt since they paid $20 million for the Rolling Stones' song "Start Me Up" (McCain, are you reading this? Getting permission and paying money - that's how you get the rights to use a song to promote your product). Of course there's some parts of that song they didn't use, such as were Mick sings "You make a grown man cry" and at the end of the song that line morphs into something unsuitable for this thread, much less a commercial for a "new software product."

I saw very little of Seinfeld, I just remember he did a sitcom about nothing. Does Microsoft really want a spokesman who has a reputation for nothing?

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Has anyone seen the other commercial that contains neither of these two? Something about a Mojave experiment? I couldn't exactly figure out what that was all about either...Vista going through an upgrade?

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Has anyone seen the other commercial that contains neither of these two? Something about a Mojave experiment? I couldn't exactly figure out what that was all about either...Vista going through an upgrade?
More like: "You LOVE Vista. You were just too dumb to know it!"