PDA

View Full Version : The Mad Mover Strikes Again

Bayou Bill
08-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Forum Mod, Silver King, aka The Mad Mover, has moved another sports discussion thread from the OFFICE PARTY (Anything not related to writing belongs here.) to that little-used AW backwater titled: SPORTSWRITING AND FITNESS WRITING.

First it was the College Football thread. Then yesterday, the Olympic thread suffered the same fate.

What next? Does the Old Farts thread face the possibility of being moved to HISTORICAL WRITING? Could Ferret's, LOLcatz, or Bahamutchild's, I Rode A Horse, threads wind up on the WRITING ABOUT ANIMALS/NATURE forum?

Either the title (and mission) of the sportsWRITING forum should be changed or it shouldn't be filled with sports DISCUSSION threads.

Bayou Bill :cool:

Shadow_Ferret
08-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Tread lightly, my friend.

But one does wonder if the exercise threads in Conquering Challenges are next, doesn't one?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Calm down... calm down! He gets like this every now and then. All we can do is hang on and pray.

Bayou Bill
08-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Since I'm usually laid-back to the point of lassitude, the idea of my first O/P thread being a diatribe does seem odd. And there's no way I'd want SK's job. Been there, done that, found it a pain.

Maybe it's because I wrote print and online sports for twenty years. I'm not sure. However, to paraphrase old Abe, "The world will little note nor long remember what I write here."

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-27-2008, 07:37 PM
It's not so bad... sharing SK's job as I do, I find it incredibly rewarding to be able to help folks. It's a challenge some days, yes, but on the whole, y'all are sweethearts compared to some of the charming people I deal with in meatspace.

cray
08-27-2008, 07:52 PM
y'all are sweethearts ....

*blushes*
i think she's talking about me

Shadow_Ferret
08-27-2008, 08:29 PM
WTF? Where did the "Mod's Gone Wild" thread go? I was participating in it in Poetry, it got moved to the Roundtable, and now it's moved again to some board I don't have permissions to.

Double WTF?

Pagey's_Girl
08-27-2008, 09:11 PM
*Looks at purple objects scattered everywhere*

Y'all need to warn people before you move threads so they can put lids back on stuff. Look at this mess! Eggplants everywhere!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Damn.

If only it were Orlando Bloom everywhere...

Kitrianna
08-27-2008, 09:16 PM
:roll: Please don't make me laugh. Further oxygen deprivation could cause me to pass from hallucinations and dizziness to just plain passing out cold. Then they would take me to emergency and let doctors poke at me...

Soccer Mom
08-27-2008, 09:23 PM
WTF? Where did the "Mod's Gone Wild" thread go? I was participating in it in Poetry, it got moved to the Roundtable, and now it's moved again to some board I don't have permissions to.

Double WTF?

It's in Office Party. Look up, silly ferret.

Shadow_Ferret
08-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Well, now it is. It was in some bench-somethingorother forum before that I couldn't access.

alleycat
08-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Next time just confuse Silver by asking to see one of his fish pictures.

Silver King
08-28-2008, 04:13 AM
Looks like I've struck a powerful nerve in Bill's sense of where threads belong around here. And he's right: the Sports and Fitness area was created mostly as a writing related forum; but that doesn't mean we can't talk about sports there, or cheer for our favorite teams or whatever.

One of the reasons that forum gets little activity is because threads are started here in Office Party that are better suited for the Sports forum. And I've aggravated the situation by not moving threads there sooner or often enough.

The main reason threads are moved is to help discussions by placing them in appropriate forums. Office Party is a fast moving place, where the majority of threads sink out of sight swiftly. If I feel a topic is better suited elsewhere, I'll move it before it has a chance to become buried here. If that appears to make me The Mad Mover, well so be it. I've been called a lot worse, and for much better reasons; so I'll just keep going along with my work here while using my best judgment the way I've always done, even if it means it's not entirely agreeable to some people.

rhymegirl
08-28-2008, 04:27 AM
Don't make Silver King mad or he'll slap you with a fish.

alleycat
08-28-2008, 04:29 AM
Shouldn't this thread be in FAQ? Can someone move it.

Just kidding! I'm go away . . .

rhymegirl
08-28-2008, 04:30 AM
Shouldn't alleycat be on the Animals board?

alleycat
08-28-2008, 04:30 AM
Shouldn't alleycat be on the Animals board?
Anne has banned me for threatening to eat her parrots.

:-(

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-28-2008, 04:31 AM
Don't make Silver King mad or he'll slap you with a fish.

I've seen him do it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwLirQS2-o)

Silver King
08-28-2008, 04:32 AM
Shouldn't this thread be in FAQ? Can someone move it...
I'm thinking Sports and Fitness would be a better place. It really doesn't belong in Office Party.

rhymegirl
08-28-2008, 04:34 AM
I'm thinking Sports and Fitness would be a better place. It really doesn't belong in Office Party.

Yes, because it's The Mad Mover Strikes Again--a bowling term.

Silver King
08-28-2008, 04:39 AM
Yes, because it's The Mad Mover Strikes Again--a bowling term.
I like that so much that I've made it my user title!

rhymegirl
08-28-2008, 04:41 AM
I like that so much that I've made it my user title!

Very nice. I think you should write your autobiography and use that as a title!

Silver King
08-28-2008, 04:46 AM
Very nice. I think you should write your autobiography and use that as a title!
Great idea. I'm not ashamed of the title, either. Like Popeye used to say, "I yam what I yam."

JLCwrites
08-28-2008, 04:56 AM
Great idea. I'm not ashamed of the title, either. Like Popeye used to say, "I yam what I yam." And that post belongs in the Cooking section.

Mmm..yams..

Silver King
08-28-2008, 05:13 AM
And that post belongs in the Cooking section.

Mmm..yams..
Yet another forum I might move this thread to. Thanks for adding that option, TL. :)

I remember when my oldest boy was very young, and my mom came over one day, she said, "There's something wrong with him. He looks too yellow. He must have jaundice!"

I agreed my boy did have a golden hue, but it didn't seem that bad. Before we rushed the child to a doctor, we realized he was consuming too much sweet potato for his own good, which had changed the color of his flesh tone.

As they say, you are what you eat...

Silver King
08-28-2008, 06:21 AM
I never seem to be online at the same time as Bill so that we can discuss our differences face to face.

There's always the PM option, though, which I'd recommend and where I'm always available and will respond as time avails, which is usually the same day.

And failing that, Bill or anyone else is welcome to contact a Super or Mac directly regarding their concerns about me or any other mod. That's the way it works here. If you don't agree with something a mod does, or anyone else, just go up the chain of command and make your views heard.

Not that I really care, but how would you feel, Bill, if I started a thread about YOU? What if I called it, The Asshole from the Bayou. To me, that seems appropriate. Do you feel differently?

Fenika
08-28-2008, 07:46 AM
Ya know, I really can't figure out who's being sarcastic in here or what, but somehow I no longer think it's cute that I got a mention in this thread.

:gone:

Bayou Bill
08-28-2008, 09:13 AM
I never seem to be online at the same time as Bill so that we can discuss our differences face to face.

There's always the PM option, though, which I'd recommend and where I'm always available and will respond as time avails, which is usually the same day.

And failing that, Bill or anyone else is welcome to contact a Super or Mac directly regarding their concerns about me or any other mod. That's the way it works here. If you don't agree with something a mod does, or anyone else, just go up the chain of command and make your views heard.

Not that I really care, but how would you feel, Bill, if I started a thread about YOU? What if I called it, The Asshole from the Bayou. To me, that seems appropriate. Do you feel differently?
I didn't start a thread about you, but about what you did. Sorry if I failed to make that distinction clear.

I started it on the same forum where the moved threads originally appeared. Other than letting me vent, the idea was to let others in on the discussion and give them a chance to share any opinions they might have instead of keeping it under wraps.

As for discussing our differences, what's to discuss? You want to jack-up traffic to the underused Sportwriting forum you created by moving sports related threads there.

One of our cherished and most esteemed members (Silver King :D) came up with the idea of a sports-related forum so fans could have their own place to gather and shoot the breeze. The forum was created with writing in mind but is also open to general discussions that deal with all manner of topics related to sports.

So shouldn't threads like this one be started in that forum instead?

Me, all I want to do is relax in the O/P enjoying the give-and-take on non-writing topics, including sports.

If the idea of being "The Mad Mover" appeals to you, glad I could help. "To thy own self be true," as the Bard said. :) As for you (hypothetically) calling a thread about me, The Asshole from the Bayou, I'm not sure it would meet the fair and balanced "quid pro quo" test but I have been called worse.

Medievalist
08-28-2008, 10:20 AM
You want to jack-up traffic to the underused Sportwriting forum you created by moving sports related threads there.

Umm . . . just a damn minute.

SilverKing didn't create the forum.

MacCannister (that's MacAllister to you) did.

And she created it in direct specific response to member request, pleading, and offers of, well . . . I won't go into that.

And if what's her name, you know, that blonde chick, wanted to "jack-up" (Freudian much?) traffic, well, that's a total fail method to accomplish it.

But yeah, what SilverKing said.

And, by the way, if you want discussion, that's OK in the sports writing forum. Just attempt to rise above "Love them Socks," and you'll be fine.

Bayou Bill
08-28-2008, 11:15 AM
Umm . . . just a damn minute.

SilverKing didn't create the forum.

MacCannister (that's MacAllister to you) did.

And she created it in direct specific response to member request, pleading, and offers of, well . . . I won't go into that.

Sorry about that. Guess I should have said, "came up with the idea," instead of, "created." My source authority was, Silver King.

One of our cherished and most esteemed members (Silver King :D) came up with the idea of a sports-related forum so fans could have their own place to gather and shoot the breeze. The forum was created with writing in mind but is also open to general discussions that deal with all manner of topics related to sports.

And thanks for your advice. I will, ...attempt to rise above "Love them Socks...," so I can be fine.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Ooooookay.

This has now ceased to be amusing. It's now time to eiher take it to PM and/or take it up the chain of command. Mac is always available to settle what can't be settled between two consenting (or even nonconsenting) adults.

Thank you.