PDA

View Full Version : My dream

maestrowork
08-27-2008, 06:16 PM
You know what my dream really is?

It's not world peace or utopia, although that would be nice.

It's not fame or fortune, but that could help.

It's not being the best of the best [writer, whatever] and be recognized for that, although it would please me.

It's not just happiness; that's too vague, although I do want it.

It's not love; I already have that, although it's really nice.

I realize, my dream is really to be able to pick up and go anywhere in the world, anytime, and experience the landscapes, cultures, lifestyles, people, food, sights, sounds, everything. To leave everything behind and not worry about anything. To be able to travel the world, to do all the things I think of doing. Just pack my duffle bag (or not), grab my passport, and go. Now that would be a life. And that would be a dream. For me.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/books/08/26/obit.freeman.ap/index.html

What about you?

Shadow_Ferret
08-27-2008, 06:25 PM
I just want to have a really decent dedicated home theater, with about $10k worth of speakers and electronics, and a few rows of those really cool home theater reclining chairs.

Tink
08-27-2008, 06:41 PM
What about you?
Mine is also to travel and experience life outside of my own little world.

JimmyB27
08-27-2008, 07:44 PM
I'm with you, Maestro. I want to get me a nice touring bike, some panniers and a tent, and go see the world.
Maybe, since we're talking dreams here, I'll have a yacht too. Nothing fancy. Something big enough that I can live fairly comfortably, but small enough that I can handle it on my own (after the extensive lessons - I'm no sailor at the moment).

BenPanced
08-27-2008, 09:26 PM
I'd love a nice houseboat and a slip on the Mississippi, just off of downtown St. Paul.

alleycat
08-27-2008, 09:31 PM
A weekend cabin in the woods above a lake or river where I could let the rest of the world go by (and maybe write a bit too).

And . . . I might not be that far away from having it come true.

shawkins
08-27-2008, 09:38 PM
I want Firefly to come back on.

Pagey's_Girl
08-27-2008, 09:39 PM
To find my own little version of Blue Bayou someday...

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-27-2008, 10:10 PM
For the next 30 years of my life to go on as happily as the last 30... thanks to Ol' Boy. Our 30th Anniversary is coming up September 9th.

Pat~
08-28-2008, 01:53 AM
I went to the link, Ray. That's sad that he died so young. He got this part right in his book: "this life is a short journey...".

My dream is pretty basic at this point. I want to be present to the moment (something I'm not inclined to do), and so not waste the chance to live each day I'm given meaningfully.

Travel and experiences like that are absolutely wonderful, but I've done a lot of that (I'm older than you ;)), and I think if I were to die tomorrow, what would matter to me is knowing that my life counted for something beyond my individual life and death. So I guess at this age/stage I'm thinking more in terms of legacy.

Right now I am living my dream, in that sense.

Seaclusion
08-28-2008, 02:06 AM
I believe I am living my dream now, but that could change at any moment.

Richard

mscelina
08-28-2008, 02:08 AM
My dream starts tomorrow night at 7:30 pm EST and will last until January 9, 2009.

Fortunately, my dream is an annual event. Thank the gods for college football.

regdog
08-28-2008, 02:15 AM
I'll take a house on Martha's Vineyard and spend everyday of the rest of my life sitting in my backyard watching the waves roll in and out.

joyce
08-28-2008, 02:21 AM
My dream would be to pack my camping supplies in my car and travel around this country and see the sights. I think I could live the rest of my life somewhere in the woods surrounded by nature.

Ageless Stranger
08-28-2008, 03:06 AM
My dream would be to personally see the artwork of all my favourite surrealists; Ernst, Breton, Gorky, Arp, the list goes on and on. Max Ernst was a genius. As a close second, I'd severely enjoy meeting Alan Moore. That man is a daily inspiration to me.

JLCwrites
08-28-2008, 03:14 AM
47! He was young! What a freak accident. I feel so bad for his family. It must be hard to have him there one day and gone the next. A total shock.

I don't like to think beyond today or the near future. I know I just made some awesome zucchini bread with a lemon glaze. That's a good dream come true for today. We'll see what tomorrow brings. :)

dgiharris
08-28-2008, 05:04 AM
To have adventures every day like when I was a child.

To have my own house with a basement that is converted to a laboratory.

To have an office where i'm constantly at work on the great American novel

To pick up that duffel bag and go anywhere I want whenever I want (Beijing Olympics is a great example)

And to Have a loving family with the 2.3 kids, dog, and white picket fence.

So far, i'm 2 for 5 and working on the other three :)

Mel...

MattW
08-28-2008, 05:14 AM
To have my ass be solvent enough to cash some those checks my mouth writes.

Fingers
08-28-2008, 09:44 AM
My secondary dream is to be able to go fishing in all the best places. Scotland, Brazil, Tasmania, Mongolia, Alaska.

My primary dream is to create a foundation dedicated to taking kids and teach them how to fish. To give them their first fishing poles or fly rods and teach them the ethics of fishing and respecting the outdoors.

Yer pal Brian

Marian Perera
08-28-2008, 11:53 AM
My dream is to have a home of my own (ideally, a condo), fully paid off. And to be able to write full-time.

Cassiopeia
08-28-2008, 12:14 PM
I've already done that for a decade of my life. 38 to 48 and you know what? There's still no place like home. :)

Gehanna
08-28-2008, 04:36 PM
I realize, my dream is really to be able to pick up and go anywhere in the world, anytime, and experience the landscapes, cultures, lifestyles, people, food, sights, sounds, everything. To leave everything behind and not worry about anything. To be able to travel the world, to do all the things I think of doing. Just pack my duffle bag (or not), grab my passport, and go. Now that would be a life. And that would be a dream. For me.

I dream of seeing the beautiful green landscapes of Ireland. I dream of seeing the wildlife in Australia and Africa. I want to meet people from other cultures and to witness first hand their ways of life. I desire to feel the warm water of a hot spring against my skin in Iceland. I want to see, touch, talk to, give to, receive from, hear, smell, taste and completely experience the marvel of life, living and beauty of this world. I dream...

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Ken
08-28-2008, 05:04 PM
mine is to meet Tink's avatar!

Tink
08-28-2008, 06:26 PM
mine is to meet Tink's avatar! Uhh, anis, well...shoot...this has left me speechless and not many can render me speechless so, uhh, give yourself a pat on the back for that... :)

Cranky
08-28-2008, 06:40 PM
I have so many dreams. Travel being a big one for me and the DH. We would really love to travel the world, bringing the kids with us. I can't imagine what that would be like, to be so well-travelled when you're young!

I'm living one of my dreams already, getting to stay home to raise my kids. I was a latchkey kid growing up, and I'm so glad there is always someone home for my kids. My parents did the best they could, and I'm not angry, but I'm glad I can be here instead of at a full-time job. If I really wanted a career, I'd do that, but this is what I want.

Another dream is to own a home and if things go well, I may be living that dream by Halloween! *squees*

Shadow_Ferret
08-29-2008, 12:00 AM
Can I change my dream?

I want a Harley instead.

maestrowork
08-29-2008, 12:21 AM
Can I change my dream?

I want a Harley instead.

Nope. You had only one chance at a dream. A home theater system that is.

Next!

Shadow_Ferret
08-29-2008, 12:34 AM
Dream Tyrant.

Shadow_Ferret
08-29-2008, 01:03 AM
*gives Ray the finger as he rides past on his Harley*

Kitrianna
08-29-2008, 01:04 AM
*yanks SF off of his harley and drags him back into the royalty thread for some torture..err questioning*

Susie
08-29-2008, 02:03 AM
Great dream, Ray, etc. My dream is that we all have strength to cope with any problems that are given to us, have everyone's needs met and a little leftover for their wants and for us all to get along better outside AW. We all get along great here. :) (((((HUGS)))))

Don Allen
08-29-2008, 02:11 AM
My dream starts tomorrow night at 7:30 pm EST and will last until January 9, 2009.

Fortunately, my dream is an annual event. Thank the gods for college football.

OMG, your dream might just be my nightmare,,, I HAVE SOMETHING IN COMMON WITH YOU????

All our good fights shot to helll..

Don Allen
08-29-2008, 02:15 AM
Great dream, Ray, etc. My dream is that we all have strength to cope with any problems that are given to us, have everyone's needs met and a little leftover for their wants and for us all to get along better outside AW. We all get along great here. :) (((((HUGS)))))

"Ahhhhh", he pines to himself,,,,,Susie, if I could have just met someone like you before I became tarnished, weathered, cynical, old, vile and nasty...

But then again I might have corrupted you, though I find that highly unlikly, tooooo sweet, carry on....

Don Allen
08-29-2008, 02:17 AM
Okay Ray, you got me with this one,,,, okay, i admit it, your dream is all right, okay, there, I said it, now leave me alone......

Don Allen
08-29-2008, 02:20 AM
Mr. Sandman send me a dream, make her the cutest girl that I've ever seen,
with lots of blonde hair bouncing off her shoulders, and give her BOOBIES as big as boulders....

I know, I know, Ol' fash, will delete me when she gets around to it.... But HEY at least I didn't write the other 7 verses..........

benbradley
08-29-2008, 02:45 AM
I just want to have a really decent dedicated home theater, with about $10k worth of speakers and electronics, and a few rows of those really cool home theater reclining chairs.

Nope. You had only one chance at a dream. A home theater system that is.

Next!
And unfortunately, $10,000 isn't enough for either a Harley or a really good audio system for a home theater. Check this one out:
http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm
Yeah, my dream looks something like that.

robeiae
08-29-2008, 03:56 AM
I don't dream.

Yeshanu
08-29-2008, 04:37 AM
mine is to meet Tink's avatar!

Mine is to meet *my* avatar! :D

Seriously, someone upthread talked about living in the moment, and that's really the best way to enjoy life. You can waste so much precious time wanting things you'll never get, and wishing for things you used to have, that you forget to enjoy what you have right now.

That doesn't mean I don't have dreams (see above), just that I don't let my dreams get in the way of living in the moment.

Ageless Stranger
08-29-2008, 04:40 AM
I don't dream.

You're such a badass.

robeiae
08-29-2008, 05:13 AM
That, or I'm a pitiful f***.

Ageless Stranger
08-29-2008, 05:16 AM
That, or I'm a pitiful f***.

Or possibly an android of some sort?

robeiae
08-29-2008, 05:26 AM
Androids dream of electric sheep.

Pat~
08-29-2008, 05:36 AM
I've already done that for a decade of my life. 38 to 48 and you know what? There's still no place like home. :)

Agree completely. I just told my husband tonight that this is really my favorite place to be. Everything I could need or want is right here.

Susie
08-29-2008, 06:09 AM
"Ahhhhh", he pines to himself,,,,,Susie, if I could have just met someone like you before I became tarnished, weathered, cynical, old, vile and nasty...

But then again I might have corrupted you, though I find that highly unlikly, tooooo sweet, carry on....

That's so sweet, Don, if I had met you 36 years ago before Mr. Susie, you'd have had a wild lady chasin' at your heels. :)

C.bronco
08-29-2008, 06:27 AM
I have a lot of dreams: my son grows up happy; I can make a living from something that I love; I get love, affection and respect from my S.O.; my mom's back heals; my stories are optioned to film and I get the parts I wrote for me; I have season tickets to NASCAR and an RV; beer and ice cream will make me both thin and voluptuous; I don't wake up at 4 AM worrying about bills; my car has four new tires; I do all of this and still have time to go to Chuckee Cheese whenever my boy wants to; I can take him to Disney World; I buy a house with enough land and cash to install a go-kart track, have a number of go-karts and race on a regular basis; I have my own basement bar with a pool table; people pay me a mint for speaking engagements; I win the Pulitzer for poetry; I finally find a good shampoo and conditioner, AND I get a beach house, preferably in Greenport, Long Island.

I don't dream much. I think these things are within reach.

Yeshanu
08-29-2008, 09:28 AM
beer and ice cream will make me both thin and voluptuous...

I don't dream much. I think these things are within reach.

I'll dream with you on that one, though I'd substitute rum and coke for the beer.

Priene
08-29-2008, 09:45 AM
My own spaceship with faster-than-light capability would probably cover it.

maestrowork
08-29-2008, 09:51 AM
As long as we've ventured into fantasies... I'd also like to have relations with Angelina Jolie, Halle Barry, and Charlize Theron, preferably at the same time.

MoonWriter
08-29-2008, 10:10 AM
My dream is that every person guilty of abusing an animal will feel the pain, not the defenseless animal.

My dream is that every person guilty of abusing a child will live with the emotional scars for the rest of their lives, not the defenseless child.

My dream is that every person guilty of abusing or neglecting the elderly or mentally challenged will be incarcerated, and, for the rest of their lives, be haunted by their actions.

My dream is that every person guilty of murder will serve out their mandatory life sentence doing hard labor. And when they're old, those guilty of abusing the elderly will be assigned to take care of them.

Oh, and I'd love to see Europe.

Priene
08-29-2008, 11:31 AM
As long as we've ventured into fantasies... I'd also like to have relations with Angelina Jolie, Halle Barry, and Charlize Theron, preferably at the same time.

Well, them as well but I'll need a bigger holodeck.

P.H.Delarran
08-29-2008, 11:37 AM
My dream is pretty basic at this point. I want to be present to the moment (something I'm not inclined to do), and so not waste the chance to live each day I'm given meaningfully.

Pat has the idea.
each day, I seek joy. even if only just one, I find some glad moment and revel in it.
that's the dream...gives me enough to make me yearn for tomorrow.

EriRae
08-29-2008, 12:55 PM
My dream is to win the lottery. It doesn't have to be a huge jackpot, just enough to live comfortably for the rest of my life.

That means I fail, right? Like in Office Space, when asked what they would do with a million dollars, Samir decides he wants to invest the money, and Peter wants to do nothing.

Don Allen
08-29-2008, 04:29 PM

...and just like that the dream heads for the gutter.....

Ol' 61
08-29-2008, 06:17 PM
I always wanted to have a lot of money, but not only so I could live comfortably and have what my family needs, but to also spread it around to those in need.

I definitely want to travel--but I'm lucky to have done the traveling I've done. I've been to Niagara Falls and the Grand Canyon. I've seen Mt. Rushmore and Pike's Peak. My feet have been in 4 of the 5 Great Lakes. I've seen the Baseball Hall of Fame. I've been to Canada, and I would like to see more of it.

When I graduated from college, I dreamed of earning my college degree, getting married, having children, owning a house, having a car that worked. I have a BA, hubby and I are coming up on anniversary # 14, and our boys are growing. It took us a while to get our house, but we now have our own home, and my car is doing great. None of it was easy, and the lesson I've learned is that Dreams take Work, Patience and Persistance.

There's nothing I can do about world peace, except to foster inner peace. I have determined that I will likely never have everything I want, but I have gotten a few things that I didn't know I wanted, and I am grateful for everything I have. And grateful also, for the opportunity to achieve more of my dreams.

My next two goals are: Publication and taking my boys to Orlando, FL in 2010 so that we can see DisneyWorld and Harry Potter World in one crazy week! I just hope they won't be too old to appreciate the magic. Not just the magic of Disney or Harry Potter, but the magic of every day life. I hope that for everyone.

Cecilia