Kabbalah?

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I am not Jewish and I am, at best, only vaguely aware of what Kabbalah is. Despite my lack of knowledge, I am troubled by what I perceive.

My perception leads me to believe that Kabbalah has become a worshiped practice as opposed to a practice of worship.

Could it be that Kabbalah has always been this way? From my limited understanding, I see it as being a second Tower of Babel ... only this time, without physical form.

Because I lack information regarding Kabbalah, I do not wish for my initial perception to become solid belief...unless of course my perception is accurate.

Can someone educate me regarding Kabbalah as it relates to Judaism?

Sincerely,
Gehanna

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Thanks for asking this set of questions.

Sadly, I don't have a lot of answers - but I'm betting that other members of this board might. My understanding of Kabbalah is that it's a mysticism-based method of interpreting the Torah and works of rabbinical scholarship. Frankly, I know nothing about why celebrities and others have been so attracted to it. But I can guarantee you that it's prominence and relevance in Judaism began thousands of years ago.

One site that I use frequently is www.judaism.com. It's well-structured for individuals with any level of knowledge about Judaism.

You might post this question in other or even pagan also to see what others know.

I'm sorry I don't know more. But I love learning! Maybe we can all pick up something here.

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Kabbalism is a mystical form of Judaism that dates at least as far back as the middle ages (that, anyway, is when the Zohar, which contained these traditions, was written down). My personal opinion is that celeberties are attracted to it for the same reason they are attracted to some forms of Buddhism, etc.--they are basically "playing" with spirtualism and adopting bits and pieces that make them feel spirtual and trendy but that require little actual "religion" (that is to say, belief that demands action and major lifestyle changes.) Real Kabbalism, I'm sure, would require major lifestyle changes! Those who use it in a more trendy way are probably adopting it as more of a pagan-type religion.

Last edited:

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply skylarburris! I enjoyed reading what you had to say.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Gehanna, I realize this post comes at a delay, but there was a 20/20 (or was it Dateline?) about Kabbalah just a few days ago. They met and interviewed the owners of the Kabbalah centers - the branch of Kabbalah that is being practiced by celebrities. It seems like this Kabblah, as opposed to the original religion, is highly different.

Perhaps a Google search would help you find some transcripts from the show.

Edit: I did a quick search myself. This isn't the transcript, but an article written based on the 20/20. http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=855125&page=1

SAWeiner

Reaction score
According to tradition, Kabbalah originated with Rabbi Shimon bar Yohai, during Roman times. It was subsequently lost for a while and then rediscovered. The texts amplify other writings in the oral and written Torah. It also discusses concepts such as reincarnation in a more overt manner than other traditional texts.

Orthodox tradition meanwhile states that only men over the age of 40, established in life, and well grounded in Jewish studies, were supposed to study it. There was a fear that others who weren't well grounded would be led astray.

I hope this was helpful.

TRENNER