PDA

View Full Version : Why we are fat

Perks
08-27-2008, 04:14 AM
Mostly I think itís the high-fructose corn syrup, but the other culprit is the cleaning products aisle.

Iíve toted the same box of S.O.S pads from move to move for the last eight years. But I donít use them. Nope. Instead, Iím drawn to every label that promises to do the work for me. ďSpray it on and wipe it off!Ē was the first new-and-improvement. Then all you had to do was spray and rinse. Once it got to just spraying it on and then, well, nothing, we should have been a bit suspicious that the chemists had simply invented a way to camouflage soap scum.

Tidying up in the 20th and 21st centuries, Iíve probably ethyl- methyl- tripolymer-ed my fingerprints off and Iím pretty sure my grandchildren will each have two heads. So it was almost quaint to take a run at the shower with spun wool impregnated with a little plain soap. But now I want back every penny Iíve ever paid over the cost of a box of steel wool. Not to mention, the hours of exercising that could have been trimmed by a little honest work.

I could feel my shoulder muscles heat up and my heartrate humming along faster and I knew Iíd been swindled into thinking that time saved in the housework translated into gains in opportunities for nobility and self-improvement. I probably just ate more partially-hydrogenated caramel coloring.

It's simply amazing what we'll do to avoid bending over and putting a little effort into taking care of our space. And really, how convenient is having to buy the next size pants every year?

Clair Dickson
08-27-2008, 04:19 AM
That and rationalizing bad behaviors. "I don't have time to cook healthy food or excercise" they say as they sit down for the five hour "Prime Time TV" run.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-27-2008, 04:21 AM
Amen to every word, Jamie and Clair.

Perks
08-27-2008, 04:22 AM
What's kind of horrifying is that I get the sense that this is the first time in four years that my shower has been anything more than pretend clean.

Neurotic
08-27-2008, 04:23 AM
Shoot and I was so sure it was because we eat too much and don't get enough exercise. ;)

Super-sensitive skin means I have to avoid the harsher chemicals anyway. Repetitive work gives me time to think, so I don't feel like I'm missing out. It's funny how clean you can get things even without all the paint-strippery stuff though isn't it?

C.bronco
08-27-2008, 04:28 AM
portion control
stay away from high-fat foods
don't eat all of the fries in the happy meal
have an overly active child
eat larger meals early in the day

that's what works for me.

stormie
08-27-2008, 04:28 AM
I thought all that house cleaning would be great for me. Spend a hundred or so calories bending, lifting, kneeling, scrubbing. That was when I was first married.

I ended up with bursitis on both knees (housemaid's knees), an aching back that had to be flexed a few times, hands that were chapped and nails that looked like he**. And I'm only 100 pounds and five feet tall. (Vertically challenged. :) )

Just limit the caloric intake and fats. Far better than so many visits to the doctor.

Oh, and as C.Bronco says, have a kid who's active.

robeiae
08-27-2008, 04:32 AM
Roombas.

It's all Dawno's fault. She made me buy one.

Perks
08-27-2008, 04:35 AM
I ended up with bursitis on both knees (housemaid's knees), an aching back that had to be flexed a few times, hands that were chapped and nails that looked like he**.

Good lord, woman! We don't need to be able to eat off the dang floors. I'm just talking about the basics. Lol!

stormie
08-27-2008, 04:37 AM
Oh, and I thought a gleaming house was the answer to the world's problems. (Where's that ad from a 1950s magazine.)

Stew21
08-27-2008, 04:38 AM
I like the convenient stuff for regular use, but every couple of weeks I go on a hard core cleaning jag. It's sort of therapy for stress. I take out my aggression on soap scum and grout.

Too bad it doesn't seem to have any impact on my waistline.

robeiae
08-27-2008, 04:39 AM
Too bad it doesn't seem to have any impact on my waistline.
Impact?

Nevermind...

Perks
08-27-2008, 04:47 AM
Oh no. I'm a putterer. If I have to do more than two or three domestic chores a day, I get grumpy. There are no cleaning marathons for me. So I'll vacuum and do toilets. Or laundry and clean the sinks and mirrors. On trash day, I may sweep the deck - maybe.

Now I do make the beds and tidy up and do all the dishes every day, but I also have the neatest children and a husband who I never have to pick up after.

maestrowork
08-27-2008, 04:52 AM
I don't clean my house at all and I'm not fat.

the myth has been busted!

rhymegirl
08-27-2008, 04:55 AM
Well, Perks, I can tell you this.

I do not have a self-defrosting refrigerator. Nope, it's a real dinosaur.

When it's time to defrost the freezer, I have to put a whole lot of muscle into chipping the ice off the top of the freezer. Just shutting it off for a few hours doesn't work. Oh no. My shoulder and arms get a real workout every time I have to defrost.

Pagey's_Girl
08-27-2008, 04:59 AM
Um....I'm a germaphobe. I scrub, babies. I scrub hard. When one has OCD, one does not pack on the pounds too easily. Ooh...I have a light-switch to turn off...and on...and off....eighty-three times. You'll have to excuse me...I'll be right back.

Just a tip - it's okay (in fact recommended) to spray and/or wipe down surfaces with Lysol after someone who "thinks they're coming down with something" touches them, but don't spray the person him/herself down. As I found out, it doesn't go over too well. (Really, it was an accident, I swear...)

stormie
08-27-2008, 05:01 AM
I had a principal where I taught who made us Lysol the classroom--desks, chairs, shelves, closets--every Friday. Thank God she didn't make us scrub the floors.

rhymegirl
08-27-2008, 05:02 AM
...but I also have the neatest children and a husband who I never have to pick up after.

Oh God! Wanna trade?

robeiae
08-27-2008, 05:43 AM
I don't clean my house at all and I'm not fat.

the myth has been busted!
Yes, but that's because your housecleaner keeps you moving...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PunlqrD5L._AA280_.jpg

'Course, Haggis has one too...

http://www.poshpetonline.co.uk/FrenchMaidModeled.jpg

Susie
08-27-2008, 05:58 AM
We are not fat, we are thin-challenged. 'nuf said. :D

k.san
08-27-2008, 06:24 AM
We are not fat, we are thin-challenged. 'nuf said. :D
Absolutely! I love the pic of the 'large man' in the t-shirt that says, "I beat anorexia"

Beach Bunny
08-27-2008, 06:38 AM
'Course, Haggis has one too...

http://www.poshpetonline.co.uk/FrenchMaidModeled.jpg

:ROFL:... I think she is in the upcoming movie, Beverly Hills Chihuahua.

Susie
08-27-2008, 06:48 AM
Absolutely! I love the pic of the 'large man' in the t-shirt that says, "I beat anorexia"

Yep, I luv that one, too! :)

Clair Dickson
08-27-2008, 07:39 AM
Speaking of cleaners-- god I hate picking out new ones... it's such a task to try to figure out which one. And it's getting harder to find "Plain." (For my Plain Crest I have to crawl to the bottom shelf.)

Unfortunately, we're starting to run out of odd-ball cleaners that we somehow collected between Hubby moving out of his folks house (9 years ago) and the ones SIL left in the place we're renting (3 years ago.) I actually had to buy bathroom cleaner! It took my ten minutes...

What I've figured out so far: Dawn Dish soap really does get through grease the BEST, Simple Green clean everything-- including engine grease-- and kills small insects & ants, OxyClean beats any bleach or stainremover for blood and worchestershire sauce even from light pants, and toilet cleaner has to be thick to actually work on the iron ring we get around here. (And those spray shower cleaners? According to Consumer Reports, they only got about 75% of the shower clean... ew.)

Of course, I'm also really simple. To me, all the answers are simple. Want clean house-- it's simple. Pick up after yourself. (And my hubby's good about it-- if he wasn't I'd put debris where he wouldn't like it... ;-)

JimmyB27
08-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Well, Perks, I can tell you this.

I do not have a self-defrosting refrigerator. Nope, it's a real dinosaur.

When it's time to defrost the freezer, I have to put a whole lot of muscle into chipping the ice off the top of the freezer. Just shutting it off for a few hours doesn't work. Oh no. My shoulder and arms get a real workout every time I have to defrost.
Use a blowtorch. ;)

Of course, I'm also really simple. To me, all the answers are simple. Want clean house-- it's simple. Pick up after yourself. (And my hubby's good about it-- if he wasn't I'd put debris where he wouldn't like it... ;-)
My answer's even simpler - 'Want a clean house?' 'Meh, not fussed.'
The power of low standards. :D

Perks
08-27-2008, 03:03 PM
We are not fat, we are thin-challenged. 'nuf said. :DYou have a point Miss Susie. Perhaps I should have said out-of-shape.

And by 'we' I meant to come off sounding inclusive - as in We The People

mab
08-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Almost everything in our lives today makes us fat:

cars
out of town malls you have to drive to (instead of local shops in walking distance)
tv, videogames and internet
sedentary office-type jobs
sugary fizzy drinks
snacks (chocolate bars, crisps etc) instead of proper meals
fast food or microwave dinners instead of cooking for yourself

and if you all watched How Clean is Your House you'd know natural substances such as white vinegar and lemon can be used instead of paint strippery chemicals.;) That said I'd love to buy a roomba one day!

mab
08-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Oh no! please don't tell me they don't really work, I hate hoovering. You can get one which mops the floor and one which mows the lawn now. They're going to do all the housework eventually...

Perks
08-27-2008, 03:49 PM
So instead of cleaning my house, I'll have to work out all day or give up eating. There's a choice for you...

Perks
08-27-2008, 03:57 PM
and if you all watched How Clean is Your House you'd know natural substances such as white vinegar and lemon can be used instead of paint strippery chemicals.

I wonder how bad ammonia is? I like it for cleaning. And sniffing.

NeuroFizz
08-27-2008, 04:09 PM
I have a total solution, Perks. Brillo pad sandwiches.

It'll get rid of your back-inventory, it's low-calorie, and it'll take that placque off of your teeth willy nilly.

Perks
08-27-2008, 04:11 PM
And it's high in fiber.

TrainofThought
08-27-2008, 05:17 PM
I have a cleaning lady who does an excellent job. My fatness comes from other things.

CaroGirl
08-27-2008, 05:48 PM
As a militant, green tree-hugger, I won't buy any cleaning product that advertises "disposable". No Swiffer for me, just a good, ol' fashioned back ache. And I'm skinny for my height, weight and age, despite my habit of ingesting cream straight from the can. (see new avatar, over there <---------)

Unique
08-27-2008, 06:17 PM
I also have the neatest children and a husband who I never have to pick up after.

#*&@ you, Perks. And the horse you rode in on. Don't you know thems fighting words?

I had a principal where I taught who made us Lysol the classroom--desks, chairs, shelves, closets--every Friday. Thank God she didn't make us scrub the floors.

Lucky you - I would have made you do it every day. Germ factories - public schools are damn germ factories. Meh, bleh, and YACK.

As a militant, green tree-hugger, I won't buy any cleaning product that advertises "disposable". No Swiffer for me, just a good, ol' fashioned back ache.

No need to give up the Swiffer - just use them over and over again like I do. Brush them off with the broom that comes with the dust pan. And when they get so they won't hold anything anymore ... spray them w/Endust and let them dry.

Why - one box has been known to last a whole year around here! By the time it's ready to compost - it's half way broken down already! Even if there are synthetic fibres in it!

Srsly!

The Real Culprit: high-fructose corn syrup
If God had wanted corn oil and corn syrup to be eaten - we'd be milking the cobs. Think about it.

Perks
08-27-2008, 06:28 PM
#*&@ you, Perks. And the horse you rode in on. Don't you know thems fighting words?

Cain't help it. It's the truth. I don't know what's going on here. Sometimes I think I've made up the entire thing -

-my husband doesn't snore
-he never makes a mess
-he doesn't fart, as far as I can tell
-my children don't bitch about bedtime
-they'll eat sushi and Indian food and will try just about anything
-they don't pester me to buy them things
-they clean their rooms, often without asking
-I've only had to clean puke up off the floor once
-And, hand to heaven, this is what I heard from girls (9 and 5) on Easter morning during the egg-hunt

"This one's your favorite color, you should have it."
"No, that's okay, I found the last one, it's your turn."

FREAKS! This house is full of mutant saints.

Perks
08-27-2008, 06:29 PM
And you couldn't even milk high fructose corn-syrup. It is a product not found in nature. It's made in laboratories. It's evil.

NeuroFizz
08-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Cain't help it. It's the truth. I don't know what's going on here. Sometimes I think I've made up the entire thing -

-he never makes a mess
-And, hand to heaven, this is what I heard from girls (9 and 5) on Easter morning during the egg-hunt

These are the ones who really cut loose in college... (just giving a poke in the ribs, Perk).

Robert Toy
08-27-2008, 06:31 PM

-he never makes a mess

Are you watching Ozzie and Harriet re-runs again?

Perks
08-27-2008, 06:32 PM
These are the ones who really cut loose in college... (just giving a poke in the ribs, Perk).No, I know. I'm terrified.

I don't know what's going on in this house.

Perks
08-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Oh, and get this. When we have to take the long car trip back 'home' to DC, my girls get in, tighten their seatbelts and say "Let's see if we can beat our best time."

They'll do a nine hour car ride with one stop and no whining.

I'm telling you, they're inhuman.

CaroGirl
08-27-2008, 06:37 PM
The main culprit is so obviously pop (soda, soft drinks, Coke, whatever you call it). I see people drinking this stuff out of cups so large that a single cup would supply liquid to a small village for several days. May I assume pop contains high-fructose corn syrup?

I drank Coke like water when I was a teen. Bad, bad habit. I ended up undergoing a cardiac stress tests at 16 because I started suffering heart palpitations every time I walked up the stairs! Evil stuff.

Perks
08-27-2008, 06:39 PM
The main culprit is so obviously pop (soda, soft drinks, Coke, whatever you call it). I see people drinking this stuff out of cups so large that a single cup would supply liquid to a small village for several days. May I assume pop contains high-fructose corn syrup?

Oh, I totally agree. I drank a lot of soda as a kid, but I drink maybe two a year.

I really have started looking out for the labels on things and I'm still shocked, regularly, by how much crap is in our food.

And what is artificial banana flavoring? What tastes like bananas that's not bananas.

Whatever it is, I don't want it.

CaroGirl
08-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Hey, Perks, my family's a lot like yours (I so lucky) except for the not making a mess thing. Especially my husband who's been known to walk around the entire house, upstairs and down, in the shoes he just wore to mow the lawn.

Cranky
08-27-2008, 06:42 PM
I have a husband who works about 60 hours a week and four sons (between 8 and 3 years of age). So I do a lot of cleaning and chasing. I'm skinny. 5'2 and my scale says I'm 104.5 lbs.

It also tells me that I've added 7% to the amount of body fat in my body since 2002. That was the last time I had it checked until I got my new scale this week. I'm very out of shape. Exercise? Ha! Housecleaning and chasing the kids keeps my actual weight down, I think, but it doesn't do enough to keep me in shape.

Now that the kids are back in school, I might have to start riding a bike again, plus I have time to exercise. I need to start doing it.

*sigh*

Another thing for the to-do list. Gah!

Perks
08-27-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm hearing now, how we shouldn't be drinking diet softdrinks either, but I've yet to hear a decent reason why. The most common, is "it MAY make you hungrier" ... not a proven theory.Actually, it's pretty cool. When the sweet receptors on your tongue are activated, your brain knows it's getting sugar. When no sugar is forthcoming, it pouts and ramps up the cravings.

I'll try to find the study that showed people who drank diet sodas actually consumed more calories (especially starches and other sugars) than people who avoided diet drinks.

Plus, aspartame was discovered when they were developing a pesticide. It's chemically very similar.

And just consider this - non-caloric foods have no calories because your body doesn't recognize it as food. Therefore it processes these things as waste or worse, foreign substances. Your body thinks it's under attack and that's the theory behind why some processed foods seem to ignite the inflammatory response.

CaroGirl
08-27-2008, 06:46 PM
And just consider this - non-caloric foods have no calories because your body doesn't recognize it as food. Therefore it processes these things as waste or worse, foreign substances. Your body thinks it's under attack and that's the theory behind why some processed foods seem to ignite the inflammatory response.
Anyone remember Olestra?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olestra

Perks
08-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Anyone remember Olestra?Lol! It's like that new diet supplement, Alli. I looked into that for my mother, because she's got blood pressure issues and I don't like to hear of her taking things, because I know she doesn't read the labels.

Basically, Alli makes it so you can't metabolize some dietary fats. So, you have to make a deal with the Alli pills, that you won't eat any fat in your diet. If you filch on your promise, the pills make you shit your pants.

I know it's socially difficult to be overweight, but when did crapping your pants do anything for anyone's social standing and self-esteem? I mean, I guess that's one way to put a gun to your head to make you change your habits, but yikes!

Not to mention that drastically cutting fat from your diet as a primary strategy really isn't a very effective way to lose weight.

Donkey
08-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Mostly I think itís the high-fructose corn syrup, but the other culprit is the cleaning products aisle.

Iíve toted the same box of S.O.S pads from move to move for the last eight years. But I donít use them. Nope. Instead, Iím drawn to every label that promises to do the work for me. ďSpray it on and wipe it off!Ē was the first new-and-improvement. Then all you had to do was spray and rinse. Once it got to just spraying it on and then, well, nothing, we should have been a bit suspicious that the chemists had simply invented a way to camouflage soap scum.

Tidying up in the 20th and 21st centuries, Iíve probably ethyl- methyl- tripolymer-ed my fingerprints off and Iím pretty sure my grandchildren will each have two heads. So it was almost quaint to take a run at the shower with spun wool impregnated with a little plain soap. But now I want back every penny Iíve ever paid over the cost of a box of steel wool. Not to mention, the hours of exercising that could have been trimmed by a little honest work.

I could feel my shoulder muscles heat up and my heartrate humming along faster and I knew Iíd been swindled into thinking that time saved in the housework translated into gains in opportunities for nobility and self-improvement. I probably just ate more partially-hydrogenated caramel coloring.

It's simply amazing what we'll do to avoid bending over and putting a little effort into taking care of our space. And really, how convenient is having to buy the next size pants every year?
This was very funny and clever........and oddly true. You should think about submitting it to a magazine. :)

NeuroFizz
08-27-2008, 07:04 PM
And you couldn't even milk high fructose corn-syrup. It is a product not found in nature. It's made in laboratories. It's evil.
Sucrose (table sugar) is a disaccharide--a glucose stuck to a fructose in a 50-50 proportion.

High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is a disaccharide mixture of glucose and fructose that comes in three forms:

HFCS 90 is 90% fructose and 10% glucose. It is significantly sweeter than sucrose so it can be used in smaller amounts.
HFCS 55 is 55% fructose and 45% glucose. It's sweetness is equivalent to sucrose--it is the one used in soft drinks.
HFCS 42 is 42% fructose and 58% glucose. It is less sweet than sucrose.HFCS has to be enzymatically produced, but it comes from a source much more plentiful (and easily farmed - corn) than sucrose (sugar beets or sugar cane).

Glucose and fructose are metabolized differently, and evidence suggests the latter (through the liver) may promote lipogenesis more than the former, which is where the "evil" comes in. However, in comparison to sucrose, this would only be a major problem for HFCS90 since HFCS55 has about the same proportion of the two monosaccharides as sucrose and HFCS 42 has less fructose. The problem with obesity is the huge increase in consumption of disaccharides in general (including both sucrose and HFCSs) in our country. If all soft drinks and other popular foods were suddenly shifted from HFCS to sucrose, there likely would be no significant decrease in the obesity problem, unless people changed their eating/drinking habits. Personally, I think we should be concerned about anything made with HFCS90, unless its greater sweetness means less is used (incomparison to sucrose), in which case there is a trade-off--more fructose, but fewer overall carbohydrate calories.

Overall, HFCSs have problems related to obesity*, but not so great as to gain the common tag of "evil." Mostly it has become a scapegoat in Americans' never ending search for a rationalization for their own laziness and dietary shortcomings. And, oh has the nutritional supplement industry picked up on this one.

*The problem is that I was unable to find studies that directly compared sucrose to HFCSs. The studies I found all just looked at HFCS intake without the comparative experiments. I didn't do an exhaustive search, though.

Robert Toy
08-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Found it!

Functional Ammonia Toxicity and Subdued Syndrome, causes irrational thoughts and feelings that everyone is acting like a goodie two shoes. The condition is directly linked to the continual exposure to ammonia fumes.

The adverse effects of Functional Ammonia Toxicity and Subdued Syndrome, also known as FATASS will diminish as the exposure level to ammonia fumes decreases.

So, have no fear Fat Ass just cut down on the ammonia usage.

Perks
08-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Overall, HFCSs have problems related to obesity*, but not so great as to gain the common tag of "evil." Mostly it has become a scapegoat in Americans' never ending search for a rationalization for their own laziness and dietary shortcomings. And, oh has the nutritional supplement industry picked up on this one.

*The problem is that I was unable to find studies that directly compared sucrose to HFCSs. The studies I found all just looked at HFCS intake without the comparative experiments. I didn't do an exhaustive search, though.

Oh, I agree. I guess what I think is evil is that a lot of people don't read HFCS as 'sugar'. So, when you see a product that has, in the first six ingredients: Sugar, sucralose, and high fructose corn syrup -- RUN!

And why does everything have to be so sweet? Why do they put sugar in applesauce? These are the things that confuse me.

Perks
08-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Found it!

Functional Ammonia Toxicity and Subdued Syndrome, causes irrational thoughts and feelings that everyone is acting like a goodie two shoes. The condition is directly linked to the continual exposure to ammonia fumes.

The adverse effects of Functional Ammonia Toxicity and Subdued Syndrome, also known as FATASS will diminish as the exposure level to ammonia fumes decreases.

So, have no fear Fat Ass just cut down on the ammonia usage.Ha ha! You're a funny man.

Perks
08-27-2008, 07:22 PM
I'm hearing now, how we shouldn't be drinking diet softdrinks either, but I've yet to hear a decent reason why. The most common, is "it MAY make you hungrier" ... not a proven theory.

Figures. It was rats, not people.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050613/drink-more-diet-soda-gain-more-weight?page=2

Here's more:

http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~cook/movabletype/archives/2005/06/diet_soda_and_w.html

veinglory
08-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Roombas.

It's all Dawno's fault. She made me buy one.

The answer to haveing a healthy lifestyle is clearly to have an insane long-haired dog. Not only do I walk four times a day, but the hair killed my Roomba within a week.

Perks
08-27-2008, 07:24 PM
<snip>
Glucose and fructose are metabolized differently, and evidence suggests the latter (through the liver) may promote lipogenesis more than the former...<snip>

Okay, Mr. Smartypants, how 'bout this one?

I really have started looking out for the labels on things and I'm still shocked, regularly, by how much crap is in our food.

And what is artificial banana flavoring? What tastes like bananas that's not bananas.

NeuroFizz
08-27-2008, 07:27 PM
I have no clue what is in the aritificial flavors, but any organic chemist knows a variety of fruity odors (including banana) can come from esters of simple organic substrates.

Sorry, I'm just smartysocks today.

And, I haven't thoroughly researched HFCSs, so refererences to any additional research (the real kind) would be appreciated.

Robert Toy
08-27-2008, 07:29 PM

Whatever it is, I don't want it.
You had to ask huh? Say thank you Dow Chemicals...:D

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question391.htm

Perks
08-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Bad news. I thought that article was very interesting.

James81
08-27-2008, 07:31 PM
We are fat because:

calories in > calories out

It really is that simple.

Perks
08-27-2008, 07:32 PM
You had to ask huh? Say thank you Dow Chemicals...

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question391.htmI think, though, I'm just going to start eating organic dandelions.

Perks
08-27-2008, 07:33 PM
We are fat because:

calories in > calories out

It really is that simple.Well, there goes my clever rant. Thanks, Captain Bringdown.

Mela
08-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Well, I was down on my hands and knees scrubbing the tiled floor in my kitchen with a brush, Tylex and Magic Eraser this past weekend. I learned a while ago the spray on stuff doesn't work - you NEED the elbow grease. (I highly recommend Magic Eraser, BTW).

And avoid any and all processed foods.

Perks
08-27-2008, 07:36 PM
(I highly recommend Magic Eraser, BTW).

Ah yes. Magic Eraser is awesome and may stay.

Seems though, I'm getting less writing and housework done than ever by sitting here and grousing with you people about the decline of Western Civilization at the hands of convenience.

I think my brain is tricking me.

Shadow_Ferret
08-27-2008, 07:36 PM

Obviously he's not getting enough fiber in his diet.

Perks
08-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Obviously he's not getting enough fiber in his diet.
I didn't say he doesn't take the occasional dump. Although I've never seen him do it.

In almost fourteen years, we've never seen the other on the toilet.

See? I told you my household is weird.

Not as weird as this thread, but still...

CaroGirl
08-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Did you know the Magic Eraser contains formaldehyde?

Perks
Did you know the Magic Eraser contains formaldehyde?
Shit.

NeuroFizz
Perks, maybe your man has the suppository version of the Magic Eraser.

Robert Toy
08-27-2008, 07:40 PM
I didn't say he doesn't take the occasional dump. Although I've never seen him do it.

In almost fourteen years, we've never seen the other on the toilet.

See? I told you my household is weird.

Not as weird as this thread, but still...
Yup, you win the weird award...:D

Perks
08-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Perks, maybe your man has the suppository version of the Magic Eraser.Wow. He would be so unhappy that his bowels are being discussed on the internet.

CaroGirl
08-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Shit.
Shit? Not that I know of. I'll check the ingredients on it the next time I'm at the store. What's the ingredient name that corresponds to shit?

James81
08-27-2008, 07:46 PM
Well, there goes my clever rant. Thanks, Captain Bringdown.

It's lonely at the top. :o

Mela
08-27-2008, 08:06 PM
Uk. does it? I knew the ease with which it cleaned was too good to be true

maestrowork
08-27-2008, 08:35 PM
I like to smell Drano™.

rhymegirl
08-28-2008, 02:51 AM
Use a blowtorch. ;)

Hmmm. A blowtorch to defrost my freezer?

Now why didn't I think of that?

Unique
08-28-2008, 03:22 AM
I'm hearing now, how we shouldn't be drinking diet softdrinks either, but I've yet to hear a decent reason why. The most common, is "it MAY make you hungrier" ... not a proven theory.

oh, no - it's much better than that. those chemicals combine w/those lovely preservatives like sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite in your processed meats to make cancer causing agents. As in brain tumors.
Doesn't that just make your day? :) No need to thank me. Just remember when you get a diet Coke and a hot dog.

Anyone remember Olestra?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olestra

Yes. Who knew it only took ten chips to produce ... a physiological reaction. First time - Last time.

Oh, I agree. I guess what I think is evil is that a lot of people don't read HFCS as 'sugar'. So, when you see a product that has, in the first six ingredients: Sugar, sucralose, and high fructose corn syrup -- RUN!

And why does everything have to be so sweet? Why do they put sugar in applesauce? These are the things that confuse me.

They put sugar in applesauce for the same reason you can get BLUE applesauce. Because some stupid people BUY it - and pay extra for the privilege.