updates from the playwrights

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Mandy-Jane said it so well:

I think an update thread is a great idea. We could have monthly, weekly or whenever the mood strikes you check-ins. It will be great to see what everyone is up to, and a great motivator for us all.

In the last week I think I have nailed the first act of my new play which isn't that new as I have been working on and off on a first draft for about 6 months.

As I have all of this week dedicated to writing I am hoping to knock the second act into shape in the next few days. By the time the National drag me kicking and screaming out of the building in three weeks time I am hoping to have a draft that is OK to send out. Then I will workshop it and probably start again.

Alyss

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've got 4 plays I'm working on at the moment.

The first is a long-running project that is basically the roleplaying of a D&D forum I frequent, and concerns of the rape and recovery of a young woman out to avenge her parents' death.

The second is a dark fairytale about a girl who commits suicide, only to return to life when the mortician defiles her corpse...I've been playing around with structure with this one, the play will have 52 scenes each keyed to a playing card, and thus the running order can be determined by playing a game of Solitaire.

The third is inspired by a video game called Project Zero: Crimson Butterfly, and about unpleasant rituals in a Japanese village and the havock it wreaks on two sets of twins.

And the fourth is a new project about an arranged gay marriage, which is why I joined this forum in the first place!

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
Strictly speaking, this is not really an update because I haven't done anything! But I thought I'd drop in and say hello and find some motivation to get back into it again.

So, how about a running progress sheet of all participants (thanks to the very fabulous "BIC and actually working" thread over in Office Party.

endless rewrite: first act of new play completed; draft of second act to be finished in the next few days before workshopping.

Alyss: four projects, all in various stages of completion.

Mandy-Jane: first draft of two ten-minute plays to be done by October.

Anyone else?............

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't worked on plays much this year. In the past couple of months I've concentrated on children's books (I have six out for submission at the moment). I haven't lost interest in plays; I just can't find time for everything since I have a full-time job in engineering and that takes a lot of my time and energy.

I have been thinking I need to do something for the National Ten-Minute Play Competition; whether something new, or dusting off one of the older short plays I did. I'm sorry that it's only opened to US residents as far as I know.

Alyss

Registered
Reaction score
Children's books! Raa! That's awesome! They're a lot harder to write than people think...

Alyss

Registered
Reaction score
True story. My script teacher says that anyone can write dialogue, but it takes a real writer to go through the entire editing process.

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
On with the updates:

I am in theatre heaven. I have done more productive work on my play in the last two weeks than I have in the last six months. I have got back the confidence to deal with what is going to be a dark play and something different for me. I am on track to have a reviewed first draft by the end of my attachment here which I will get feedback on and then workshop here at a later date (fingers crossed).

I have also been reading lots of plays from a well stocked supply and have had access to the archives so you get to see all the production notes etc which is really useful. This week I've read 'Black Watch' by Gregory Burke, 'Shopping and Fucking' Mark Ravenhill, 'A Doll's House', 'Sacred Heart' Mick Mahoney and 'The Revenger's Tragedy' which are a real mixed bag but for the first time in ages I've wanted to read lots of plays.

I have also been to see (at The National) The Revenger's Tragedy which was an amazing, fast paced production, a real spectacle. Afterlife (Michael Frayn), and 'The Year of Magical Thinking' with Vanesssa Redgrave and a work in progress, a Middle East version of Romeo and Juliet by a young Russian director and composer.

It's been such a shot in the arm to be here, immersed in theatre and surrounded by people who are passionate about what they do. I might hide in the ventilation system so I don't have to leave.

I am never normally this productive so it's good to update while it lasts!

Next Please:

TwoSticks

Hi, I'm new here...

Can't remember the hopping about that led me to the AW site but I gravitated to this area as I am a playwright of sorts and looking forward to fruitful conversation here. Can't linger tonight though. I live in Chico, CA. Here's a YouTube link (2) to a recent production of an old play of mine. My play won a competition for short plays here in Chico. A video production class happened to tape a performance. It's in 2 parts, for YouTube, runs about 15 minutes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tieY1hr-Gk - part one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TkOBfdxdFQ - part two And a blog with a bit of background. http://mistertwosticks.blogspot.com/ Enjoy. Looking forward to some worthwhile, fun, thought provoking, insightful chats with whom you are here.

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Twosticks, good to see you here.

I am updating again. Only 'cause I have been unusually productive because of the theatre attachment. Well I finished my first full draft on Tuesday and handed it in for some feedback. I didn't write it thinking it was a National theatre play just something I was working on before I was approached to go down there and it really isn't the sort of play they do. I got very positive feedback within a couple of days from the head of Studio and have been booked in for a reading next month at the National with their actors and one of their directors. I couldn't be more made up. The literary manager will be in touch next week to give me his feedback and then (if he likes it as well) it will be passed further up the chain. Me, I just thrilled to be having a reading there and hopefully their stamp of approval will make it easier to place the play elsewhere. The reading will be to an invited audience. The sad part is I have finished my attachment and am newly arrived back home. I loved being there and hope to keep up my new found productivity.Sadly, I am easily led and distracted so I probably won't.

comradebunny

"It *is* the rabbitt!"
Registered
Reaction score
"Sadly, I am easily led and distracted so I probably won't."

Wow, we must be twins. Congrats on the reading, that's great. Be sure to let us know how that goes.

I currently have one play on the back burner and one I'm finally writing (I spent a lot of time with research, which is still on going).

The play I'm working on now is "Wakan Tanka's Holy Warrior." It's the story of Sitting Bull's life. I done some major revisions in the plotlinwe recently and I couldn't be happier. It changed many of the character motivations and made them more realistic. The characters I speak of are my fictional ones. I completely changed the opening and closing scenes and believe they will be much stronger. I've written the rough drafts of these speeches and know they need revision, but I like the potentential. Right now, I'm selecting a few of the speeches that Sitting Bull will be using. I'm having them translated back into the Lakota dialect of the time, so my translaters need some time.

My biggest struggle right now is figuring a way to show Sitting Bull's humor. Apparently, he loved to laugh and tell funny stories. I'm setting up interviews with descendents, I'm hoping they will know some of these humorious stories so I can use them. It's important to me that I show that he could be lighthearted.

What's everyone else up to?

steveg144

Crusty Polemicist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CrustyPolemicist.blogspot.com
"The Tenor and The Lady" : staged reading (in front of a paying audience, no less!) in August.

"Bottom of the Ninth": won a New Play contest at an area college. I don't get any $$$ for the win, but I do get something that any playwright values much, much more: three nights of staged readings with playwright/audience talkback in November.

"Sunken City": currently being workshopped at an area theatre.

All in all, it's a good year for my stage pieces.

bison

Registered
Reaction score
Had a staged reading of Empty Nest in July. The theatre went out of business shortly thereafter. No, it was't just my play that did it. I don't think it was anyway.
Have a promise to read Hannah in my Heart from a local dinner theatre cast in November.
I'm working on three others that only talk to me now and then. I am at a total, absolute, impasse with one of them.
Onward through the fog!

Mandy-Jane

Registered
Reaction score
You guys are making me feel like an underachiever!

I've slacked off a little bit lately, but I am halfway through both of my ten minutes plays. The competition deadline is mid-October so for the next couple of weeks I'm just going to get stuck right into it!

Yes I am. Really.

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
Currently I am working on a children's play that is inspired by a Grimm fairy tale, which I translated from the original German. My initial plan was to do a straightforward adaptation, but the original really did not have enough story to support a play without some plot additions and some character elaborations. And once I started doing all of that, I realized that the project ought to be a play "inspired by" the Grimm Märchen, not an adaptation of it. I have added characters not in the original and have let my imagination run free. I want it to have a playing time of about forty-five minutes. I have written about half of it.

I have a "back burner" project that I think will be pretty good. It is a comedy that deals with the life and woes of a small-town mayor who always has everyone mad at him.

bison

Registered
Reaction score
There are some tremendous storylines in fairy tales.
Read them and ideas seem to jump out of them!

Mandy-Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Okay well I've submitted one of my ten minute plays to the competition. I didn't quite get theo the one finished. And although I don't deserve it (because I haven't been doing so much) I'm having a rest for a week or two before I get back into my novel adaptation.

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with the competition Mandy-Jane and good luck to everyone else as their plays progress. I really like hearing about what people are getting up to.

I as anticipated utterly failed to keep up my recent productivity and have just started writing again after a month. a month of doing absolutely nothing. On Monday I had a reading of the first draft of a new play at the National Theatre's studio in London which was good, great actors, but it made me see how much I have yet to do to improve it. I've also started a shadow scheme on a TV show after doing a trial script for them. The shadow scheme involves writing another trial script of a new storyline to the same rewrite deadlines/time frames as the existing writers. I get my story line on Friday. I'm currently doing a treatment for a new idea to send in for a competition and started work on a new play. I also have to do a new draft of the one that had the reading. I am not looking forward to that.

trilogyfan

Registered
Reaction score
I can't find anywhere else on this site to post something like this, but I just needed to give myself a shout out for having FINISHED MY FIRST FULL-LENGTH PLAY tonight!

I am a total newbie to this site, having waited until I could say I had actually finished something before I joined. Wooot! Now I need some actors and a free night to get this thing to the next level...

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations and good luck in organising a workshop to develop your play.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Congrats, Trilogy! That's great news.

I said I was banning myself from AW so that I could work on my full length play, but I stopped by for a second and saw this thread so decided to post.

Most of you probably already know that I wrote a short play Thursday night and it was performed Friday night. From that event I have an opportunity to submit a full length play to a local theatre group. I am currently working on that...so I will be away from AW for a few weeks while I cram to get this done. The submit date is May...so I want all my spare time to go into it. I have about a page and a half completed. (-; The one that was performed on Friday took me about an hour and a half to write...and about 6 hours of tweaking and tweaking and tweaking and timing and timing.

Great thread!

BFN. Happy Writing!

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to join in with my minor update. The play I posted about having a reading is now tweaked and out to theatres being read, should start getting feedback soon so keep your fingers crossed for me. Didn't get the soap writing job, the producer who liked my work left within two weeks of me starting the scheme. Not such terrible news as if I am honest I was in it for the money not the writing. Started work on a new play a few weeks ago, hope to have a very rough full first draft by the end of March and then plan on spending a month working on that so it is ready to be sent out by May (still as a first draft) . Really thought about where I want to concentrate my energies and have decided it is theatre. Also have to do two page outlines for radio plays by April.

Good luck with the new play, KTC.

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
Making progress

I am making good progress with my children's play, which I had set aside for a while. I never should have let it sit on the backburner; it is always hard to get back into the spirit of the work when I do. I should have finished it long ago. I am making the next two weeks a time to forge ahead with determination and at full blast.

Anyway, I am into the story now, have written about 40 percent of it, and everything is outlined. I keep discovering more and more about the characters and story as I work.

Mandy-Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Great updates everyone!

Personally, I did no good on my play entry last year. Disappointing, as I was at least hoping to be shortlisted. Oh well. Following this, I kinda' walked away from it all and decided I wouldn't write anymore. (A slightly childish over-reaction, I know.) So this lasted for about three months until I found myself more and more often thinking "hmmm, that would make a great play". Eventually I gave in and now I'm working on another short play for a competition which closes early April. It's going okay, so far.