PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic Storms Anyone? Hurricane Gustav

Robert Toy
08-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Aside from Hurricane Gustav just popping up, the latest from the National Hurricane Center shows the Atlantic just a bit on the busy side.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml

BTW – Gustav looks to be heading directly into the Gulf. I wonder if N.O. is thinking, “Oh not again”

Fraulein
08-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Yes. That's what I'm thinking. :cry:

Fraulein
08-26-2008, 06:33 PM
The sensationalism makes me sick to my stomach.

video (http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid823425597/bclid877032950/bctid1587971667)

Mela
08-26-2008, 07:52 PM
BTW – Gustav looks to be heading directly into the Gulf. I wonder if N.O. is thinking, “Oh not again”

I was thinking the same thing this morning when I saw the news - poor Gulf of Mexico. They say the thing's going to gather strength into atleast a Cat 3.

But think of those people in Haiti too. I read a news report this morning in which a taxi driver there said he doesn't think the reports of a hurricane are true.

Well, it would be bad for business

Fraulein
08-26-2008, 08:08 PM
The eyewall is really tight, which means that the outer bands with slower winds affect the majority of people- at least that's what The Weather Channel told me.

Pagey's_Girl
08-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Even though we're on the northern part of the east coast, I still keep an eye (no pun intended!) on those guys (and gals.) You never know when one of them is going to decide to do a Long Island Express right up the coast.

Robert Toy
08-26-2008, 09:29 PM
The eyewall is really tight, which means that the outer bands with slower winds affect the majority of people- at least that's what The Weather Channel told me.
The current prediction is not only strengthening but slowing its forward speed...really bad news for folks already soaked by Fay.

Robert Toy
08-27-2008, 08:02 PM
The latest track for Gustav....right into N.O.

Mela
08-27-2008, 08:10 PM
I assigned an article out of New Orleans for my magazine two weeks ago - It was something along the lines of a post-Katrina recovery - I kid you not. I'm just about to email my contact to see if we should put the brakes on it - although part of me wants to keep a positive outlook (!)

Fraulein
08-27-2008, 08:17 PM
We went shopping yesterday- soup, dry cereal, fruit bars, muffins, chips, salsa, canned fruit, 8 gallons of water, canned soda, plastic cups, napkins, kitchen sized trash bags, and gas.

Today's trip- tarps, tie down rope, plastic utensils, and plastic bowls. D batteries if I can find any.

Evacuation plan is to leave the city early and settle in across Lake Pontchartrain in the northern part of Mandeville, La.

I'll keep everyone posted. :)

benbradley
08-27-2008, 08:22 PM
All I hear on talk radio is how landfall, expected for Monday night, could be a big news story that would trump the Republican convention.

Robert Toy
08-27-2008, 08:29 PM
What is the saying, thank God for small miracles?

He tried tornados in CO., that didn't work...maybe this will...:)

Mela
08-27-2008, 08:35 PM
oh, Fraulein - take care of yourselves! I'm happy you have a plan

Fraulein
08-27-2008, 09:19 PM
oh, Fraulein - take care of yourselves! I'm happy you have a planThanks!

People are staying too cool around here. No one is worried yet, and that scares me. I just went to buy a tarp, rope, and glow stick light at Home Depot, and after the guy helped me find everything, he started talking with a group of people in a way that was ignorant to the prospect of having another hurricane- "there are so many tracks it could take, it's not even in the gulf yet, I don't think it's going to come here, etc.".

It's strange... People really amaze me! :Shrug:

Pagey's_Girl
08-27-2008, 09:45 PM
That's scary. Really scary. Take care of yourself.

Fraulein
08-28-2008, 08:07 AM
Sandbagging is all we get. Great. :rolleyes:

Tentative Plan. I'm at "Canal" if anyone's curious. (http://blog.nola.com/hurricane_impact/2008/08/0828AreasOfConcern.pdf)

Robert Toy
08-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Add TS Hanna plus two to the mix...it is going to be a really busy season.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

God is telling me she did not want me back on the Gulf coast.

mscelina
08-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Starting to look a little scary now. I'm glad to see, however, that Louisiana did go ahead and begin their disaster procedures. Here's hoping there won't be a repeat of Katrina.

stormie
08-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Stay safe, keep us posted if you can.

Mela
08-28-2008, 09:30 PM
OMG: I just saw the report from the National Weather Center - Hanna and Gustav?
Oh man.
And of course, the price of oil has already begun to spike.
Everyone, be safe!

Fraulein
08-29-2008, 07:46 AM
Stay safe, keep us posted if you can.I'm really amazed with all of the evacuation that's going on. There are white headlights on the interstate as far as the eye can see...

Pagey's_Girl
08-29-2008, 06:42 PM
All I hear on talk radio is how landfall, expected for Monday night, could be a big news story that would trump the Republican convention.

Maybe not... (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26447383)

Mela
08-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I heard this on the news this morning, but either way, the Bush administration better get its act together this time because if something severe occurs, and it turns into the same horrendous operation of 3 years ago, postponing the convention won't help McCain.

benbradley
08-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Go here and skip the long rant about Obama's speech, it's off-topic here anyway (I'll post it elsewhere), and look for the "Weather Channel Projected Path" graphic [pun intended] for Gustav:
http://boortz.com/nuze/200808/08292008.html
I think they got their days of the week wrong on that one, but whatever...

Blake M. Petit
08-29-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm right outside of New Orleans itself. The important thing to remember is to stay calm here -- there's plenty of time to get out. Panic is the worst thing that can happen.

mscelina
08-29-2008, 09:13 PM
True, but don't put it off. Seriously. If you have the opportunity to get out of New Orleans, get out now. The repaired levees haven't been tested and if Gustav makes Category 3 as projected New Orleans and the surrounding area could be in one hell of a mess.

Keep yourself safe, but above all GET OUT.

Pagey's_Girl
08-29-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm right outside of New Orleans itself. The important thing to remember is to stay calm here -- there's plenty of time to get out. Panic is the worst thing that can happen.

Stay safe! You too, Fraulien. Sending safe thoughts NO's way.

Accuweather's latest (http://hurricane.accuweather.com/hurricane/basin-story.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&basin=atlantic)

Komnena
08-30-2008, 07:40 AM
At least find someplace above sea level. The roads are bound to be crowded very soon if they aren't already.

stormie
08-30-2008, 10:00 PM
It just got upped to Catagory 4. No matter where it hits in the Gulf, if you're in a low-lying area, move inland.

wyntermoon
08-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Holy smokes, keep us posted!

Beach Bunny
08-30-2008, 10:28 PM
I just checked weather.com. It has been upgraded to a Cat 4 with wind speeds at 145 mph. The western part of Cuba is going to get slammed, then it is going into the Gulf.

News reports on weather.com show that people are taking this seriously, preparing and getting out, especially in New Orleans.

Serenity
08-31-2008, 05:46 AM
Winds are now topping 150. It'll be a cat 5 really soon. If you are anywhere along the Gulf Coast, take a ton of care. Stay safe.

Blake M. Petit
08-31-2008, 06:06 AM
Most likely going to go north to my uncle's house in the morning. Where I live, we're on very high ground -- I'm not concerned about the storm surge. I'm more worried about wind damage. Keep your fingers crossed, guys.

qwerty
08-31-2008, 10:49 AM
Mayor of New Orleans has ordered 100% evacuation, including emergency services.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7590336.stm

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=23.1&lon=-83.8&zoom=6&type=hyb&rad=0&wxsn=0&svr=0&cams=0&sat=0&riv=0&mm=0&hur=1&hur.wr=0&hur.cod=1&hur.fx=1&hur.obs=1&fire=0&ft=0&sl=0

Tornadoboy
08-31-2008, 06:12 PM
This is probably a stupid question, but would it be possible to backfill all the below sea level areas of New Orleans, in other words bring the ground up to a safer level? I know that sounds ridiculous because it would be an expensive and overall enormous project, but so is rebuilding a city every few years. It has been done before, Galveston Texas was completely wiped out by a hurricane in 1900 and they raised the entire city 15 feet before rebuilding.

They can rebuild the levis all they want but the fact is to make it tall enough and strong enough to guarantee the city's safety against storms like this it would have to be built like the 8th wonder of the world, people wouldn't even be able to see the ocean beyond.

You could also try to build everything on stilts but that would also be incredibly expensive, awkward and would still not protect infrastructure like roads, water pipes, etc.

Either way we can't keep going through this, it's not fair to the people and we simply can't afford it. And the city can't be abandoned because it's too important as a port for the Mississippi.

mscelina
08-31-2008, 06:29 PM
New Orleans is built on a swamp. Although they have revamped the levees with deeper steel reinforcements and thicker walls, the ground underneath the entire city is a mixture of sand and absorbent clay. Once the surge of a hurricane hits it--or two feet of rain in a short period of time--that ground gets saturated quickly and the water begins to rise. So there's really no way to elevate the city, particularly when you're dealing with massiv downtown structures like skyscrapers or the Superdome.

Fraulein
09-01-2008, 01:41 AM
I'm exhausted!

I moved almost everything out of my apartment into storage, evacuated myself, my kitties, and I'm staying with my boyfriend's folks.

I want this to be over with, and the storm hasn't even hit land yet!

Robert Toy
09-01-2008, 01:52 AM
I'm exhausted!

I moved almost everything out of my apartment into storage, evacuated myself, my kitties, and I'm staying with my boyfriend's folks.

I want this to be over with, and the storm hasn't even hit land yet!
Glad to hear you are out of harm's way.

Latest sat image - loop (really nasty looking)

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t1/loop-vis.html

RLB
09-01-2008, 01:57 AM
That thing looks gnarly. Thoughts and prayers to the gulf coast. You people stay safe.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
09-01-2008, 04:24 AM
I hate tornadoes... but at least they're over pretty quickly.

Y'all take care!

MoonWriter
09-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Katrina is one of the few hurricanes that scared us enough to evacuate. As of now, we have moderately high sustained winds and rain and occasional gusts - a typical hurricane. The dry air Gustov sucked in earlier today (a miracle? seems like it as it came from nowhere) really diminished its intensity. Landfall will likely be in Terrebonne Parish, some seventy miles away. There's a chance that N.O. won't even get hit with category one hurricane winds. And the flooding will be concentrated to the coastal areas on the west bank of the Mississippi River. And we still have power - unusual for the intensity of gusts we're receiving. Prayers for the protection of life and property for those in Gustav's path would be appreciated.

qwerty
09-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Changing conditions in the last hour are giving rise to hope, but thoughts are still with anyone in the area.

I just hope nobody knocks the mayor of N.O. for the responsible decision he made.

Beach Bunny
09-01-2008, 09:19 PM
I just hope nobody knocks the mayor of N.O. for the responsible decision he made.

Yes. Regardless of where the storm actually hits, he should be applauded for getting everyone out of the city.

sadron
09-01-2008, 10:09 PM
I hope they are alright now. Gustav is still raging but weakened.

Komnena
09-02-2008, 08:27 AM
How is everyone in Gustav's path faring?

PattiTheWicked
09-02-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm keeping an eye on Hanna. I'm supposed to be driving to Charleston on Friday.

:::headdesk:::

Robert Toy
09-02-2008, 04:26 PM
I had already posted a the GUSTAV Thread.

It's getting crowded out there, IKE is now a TS and we now have TD Ten.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Pagey's_Girl
09-02-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm keeping an eye on Hanna. I'm supposed to be driving to Charleston on Friday.

:::headdesk:::

They're talking rain and wind for NY on Saturday. How much rain and wind they don't know yet.

Blake M. Petit
09-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Just an update, folks -- I'm safe and sound at my uncle's house on the north shore. Our house suffered almost no damage (just a few shingles lost, lattice on the pool knocked down, nothing major), but we have no power at home yet. And since it'll be several days before we have to get back to work, we're going to to wait it out up here until power comes back at home. Thanks to everyone who was concerned.

stormie
09-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Yes!!! Glad your house wasn't damaged, and you're okay. Hope you get your power back on soon so you can go home. Glad you posted!

Mela
09-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Just an update, folks -- I'm safe and sound at my uncle's house on the north shore. Our house suffered almost no damage (just a few shingles lost, lattice on the pool knocked down, nothing major), but we have no power at home yet. And since it'll be several days before we have to get back to work, we're going to to wait it out up here until power comes back at home. Thanks to everyone who was concerned.

Very happy your home is sound.
Now we've got some more brewing in the Atlantic ...

stormie
09-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Yep. Hanna's on it's way here, Ike is spinning around somewhere near the Bahamas, I think, then there's Josephine....

And I haven't a thing to do with all those storms. Really!

Pagey's_Girl
09-05-2008, 11:20 PM
And I haven't a thing to do with all those storms. Really!

If you had something to do with them, hurricanes would be fun. :)

Hanna I'm not too worried about. Ike - yeah, I'm keeping an eye on him...

stormie
09-05-2008, 11:24 PM
If you had something to do with them, hurricanes would be fun. :)Oh yeah, party time if that were the case! http://bestsmileys.com/party/5.gif

Hanna I'm not too worried about. Ike - yeah, I'm keeping an eye on him...
On maps so far NOAA has Ike dead-ended before it even makes it to FL. Guess it's too soon to tell, but that thing looks far worse than Hanna.