PDA

View Full Version : College Football

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

mscelina
08-26-2008, 12:19 AM
Hurray! Everyone ready?

IT'S FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!!!!!!!!

:TheWave:

and for all of you...lesser...peeps as well, I suppose. As a die-hard UT alumna, this is my favorite time of year. I LURVE college football. I watch any game that is on TV if I can. And this week, our patience and suffering pays off.

It's college football time.

:e2woo::e2cheer::e2woo::e2cheer:

Sooooooooo....knowing for a fact that there are others who share my obsession (and in Haggis' case, feeble hopes) let's start talkin'! Any and all college football. Serious conversations about games and/or players or smack talking about 'that other team' or a big game.

*grin*

And lots of reverence for the nation's beloved Appalachian State.

Are you ready for some football?

:e2teeth:

I am.

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!

Shadow_Ferret
08-26-2008, 12:25 AM
I only watch professional.

And I don't discuss it with anyone.

Ever.

And I watch it in private.

Any negative comments about my team are dealt with quickly and severely.

JLCwrites
08-26-2008, 12:26 AM
My Alumni team are the AZTECS, and I am not sure they know how to play football.

althrasher
08-26-2008, 12:27 AM
GOOOOOO APPALACHAIN!!!

I hope, hope hope we beat LSU...roar.

SIX DAYS!!!!!!!

mscelina
08-26-2008, 12:33 AM
Ed, you're such a conversation stopper sometimes. *grin* I'm sure the Packers will be just fine.

*snicker*

Aztecs? Which ones? That's what--San Diego State?

And YES althrasher! GO APP STATE! I used to go to debate tournaments there and it was the scariest drive ever--straight up a two-lane mountainside road--with rain at the bottom of the mountain and snow in Boone, NC at top. I've got last year's App State-Michigan game TIVOed and will watch it again this week. *grin* When they beat Michigan, the folks in the bar I worked at gave a cheer that was three times as loud as any they'd emitted during the Ohio State game that preceded it. It was major fun!

NeuroFizz
08-26-2008, 12:35 AM
I, too, want Appalachian State to do well against LSU. However, I fear this major team will not take them lightly (the coaches should do their homework). Here's hoping App State will play it tough and put some stank on LSU. It's just good for college football.

And the other ASU (Arizona State--my former institution) has a fairly early date with the preseason #1 team in the nation. It should be a good game.

Sarita
08-26-2008, 12:35 AM
You don't even know excitement until you are cheering with 110,000 of your closest friends :D Even if it is against Coastal Carolina...

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/k/n/kns5059/penn%20state.jpg

althrasher
08-26-2008, 12:36 AM
I was AT the Michigan game (hooray Marching Band!) It was ridiculously awesome.

Have you seen any of the Youtube videos of the Ohio state fans under the bleachers after THEIR game? It's hilarious. They were all jumping up and down and screaming when we blocked the kick.

Shadow_Ferret
08-26-2008, 12:37 AM
Ed, you're such a conversation stopper sometimes. *grin* I'm sure the Packers will be just fine.

*snicker*

:rant:

I do watch a Wisconsin game or two.

But that's only cuz we're related.

http://www.ssc.wisc.edu/~cengel/250px-BuckyBadgerGraphic.gif

NeuroFizz
08-26-2008, 12:39 AM
For Ed--may the Raiders return to their former stature. Maybe then they'll win a few games as well (although I love them no matter what). Silver and black.

Tink
08-26-2008, 12:40 AM
I only watch professional.

And I don't discuss it with anyone.

Ever.

And I watch it in private.

Any negative comments about my team are dealt with quickly and severely.
How did the Jets do in their pre-season game the other night? I missed it... :D

Shadow_Ferret
08-26-2008, 12:41 AM
*ignores the peanut gallery*

Go Bucky!

NeuroFizz
08-26-2008, 12:45 AM
Sparky. One of the best mascots!
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg81/NeuroFizz/180px-Sparky.gif

Jcomp
08-26-2008, 12:53 AM
Hook 'em Horns...

mscelina
08-26-2008, 01:01 AM
Oh, Sara, I completely understand. College football gets into your blood when you're sitting in Neyland Stadium with 110,000 some odd drunk rednecks screaming Rocky Top at the tops of their lungs.

Like this:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i293/isabelle_spurrier/tennvols_Fireworks.jpg

Writer2011
08-26-2008, 01:20 AM
GO Tarheels. :)

oarsman
08-26-2008, 01:46 AM
GO VOLS!
GO Mountaineers ! (I was just in Boone a week ago, they're ready for football!)

Silver King
08-26-2008, 03:59 AM
Did you all know we have a Sports and Fitness forum (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=121)? The place doesn't get much love 'cause most of the threads that belong there end up in Office Party.

One of our cherished and most esteemed members (Silver King :D) came up with the idea of a sports-related forum so fans could have their own place to gather and shoot the breeze. The forum was created with writing in mind but is also open to general discussions that deal with all manner of topics related to sports.

So shouldn't threads like this one be started in that forum instead?

My finger is hovering over the Move Thread option, but I'd like to hear what others have to say first. So lay it on me. :)

Jersey Chick
08-26-2008, 04:07 AM
Give me an R

Give me a U

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb134/JerseyChick71/150px-Rutgers_athletics_logo.png

GO SCARLET KNIGHTS!!!

Duncan J Macdonald
08-26-2008, 04:17 AM
<wanders in>
Nothing to see here. Move along.

<starts flipping channels to find a NHL Hockey game>

Ol' 61
08-26-2008, 04:23 AM
Hook 'em Horns...

Hook 'Em Horns, INDEED!

And dare I say, Ram 'Em Rams? (John Marshall HS, class of 79, J Comp)

Rah!

Cecilia

Bayou Bill
08-26-2008, 06:16 AM
As has been noted, the 2008 college football season kicks off this weekend. Since the alternate sports choices are NFL exhibition games and baseball, that's a goodness.

I pull for three teams and their conferences: LSU/SEC, La. Tech/WAC, Grambling/SWAC.

Here are some of the games that will be on the tube in the Texas area that interest me.

THURSDAY

Baylor vs Wake Forest (Battlin' Baptists go head-to-head) 7:00 pm FSN

FRIDAY

Rice vs SMU (first game for new SMU h/c June Jones) 7:00 pm ESPN

SATURDAY

LSU vs Appalachian St. (last year's I-A champs and I-AA champs meet in BR) 4:00 pm ESPN

La Tech vs Miss St. (first visit by an SEC team to Tech) 5:45 pm ESPN2

SUNDAY

Kentucky vs Louisville (in-state bragging rights and some sort of trophy) 2:30 pm ESPN

MONDAY

Tenn vs UCLA (the Vols need this one, big time) 7:00 pm ESPN

There are some interesting games that probably won't make it to the tube including Jacksonville St vs Georgia Tech. I'm betting the Yellow Jackets offered I-AA J-St. a bunch of money to play the role of sacrificial lamb in Atlanta BEFORE Ryan Perrilloux was kicked off the LSU team and transfered to Jacksonville. Odds are the Jackets will still win, but it could be a very interesting game now, especially if GT turns over the ball a few times while trying to run its new triple-option offense.

Another game that should be interesting is Utah vs Michigan. Last year Michigan lost its season operner to I-AA Appalachian St. at Ann Arbor. This year they open, at home again, this time against a Utah club that went 9-4 last year, has 9 starters back on offense and should challenge BYU for the Mt. West title. Wonder what the mood in Ann Arbor would be like if the Wolverines lost two straight home openers?

Memphis vs Mississippi: In theory, the Tigers, who finished strong last season and went to a bowl, should have little trouble with the Rebs, who didn't. But it'll be Houston Nutt's first game as h/c in Oxford so it'll be interesting to see how the team responds to him.

Bayou Bill :cool:

Haggis
08-26-2008, 06:27 AM
GOOOOOO APPALACHAIN!!!

I hope, hope hope we beat LSU...roar.

SIX DAYS!!!!!!!

Appalachain? Never heard of them.

I've got last year's App State-Michigan game TIVOed and will watch it again this week. *grin* When they beat Michigan, the folks in the bar I worked at gave a cheer that was three times as loud as any they'd emitted during the Ohio State game that preceded it. It was major fun!

I hate you.

Silver King
08-26-2008, 06:31 AM
So the ayes have it then?

Okay...

Haggis
08-26-2008, 06:36 AM

Okay...

Okay. I don't hate her.

But she's out of my will.

Bayou Bill
08-26-2008, 07:02 AM

Okay...
NO! Not okay.

In other words, there can't be a college football thread in the Office Party which gets a fair slug of traffic. Instead, that subject MUST be relegated to a little-used forum. There's probably a good reason it's so little used--last activity 8/12.

In theory, this forum is supposed to be for folks interested in sports WRITING, not a place for college football fans to shoot the breeze. By that logic, the Old Farts thread should be moved to Historical Writing.

Bad move Mr. Mod.

Shadow_Ferret
08-26-2008, 07:41 AM
Hook 'Em Horns, INDEED!

And dare I say, Ram 'Em Rams? (John Marshall HS, class of 79, J Comp)

Rah!

Cecilia
Hey, I went to John Marshall, too! Granted it was probably a different HS in a totally different state, but still. We're sort of alumni.

We were the Eagles.

And why are we hidden away in this moldy old forum?

Bayou Bill
08-26-2008, 08:13 AM
Silver King, aka The Mad Mover, switched the thread to this writing forum. I'm not sure why.

If it isn't back on the Office Party by tomorrow, I'll start another one there--tentative title: College Football Fans (non-writing).

EriRae
08-26-2008, 08:32 AM
UNI FIGHT UNI FIGHT!!! GO PANTHERS!!!

Rooting for my alma mater because the Pacifist Irish will probably be rebuilding again this year. . .

Beach Bunny
08-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Oh, Sara, I completely understand. College football gets into your blood when you're sitting in Neyland Stadium with 110,000 some odd drunk rednecks screaming Rocky Top at the tops of their lungs.

The Horror ... the horror :scared:

pffft ... All you all are Gator Bait. :e2tongue:

mscelina
08-27-2008, 01:08 AM
The only good Gator is a pair of shoes. Maybe a belt. But usually...shoes.

hehehehe...

mscelina
08-27-2008, 01:22 AM
Appalachain? Never heard of them.

I hate you.

Awwwwwwwww....Haggis! You shouldn't hate me! Right now, you should be too worried about Utah to hate me.

Michigan needs to beat Utah. Otherwise, Rodriguez' job will just get harder and harder as the season goes on. He's going to have a couple of rocky years anyway until he gets the talent in to Ann Arbor that will match his offensive preferences.

I'm looking at Illinois-Missouri and Hawaii-Florida as the potentially most interesting games of the weekend. Tennessee-UCLA might end up being a statement game considering UCLA's new coaching staff and injury woes.

A question: is this the first time that two reigning national champions from different divisions have met in the season opener? LSU-App State has interest levels all up and down the spectrum, beyond whether App State can do it two years in a row and upset a huge football powerhouse. Another tidbit--the quarterback from App State is, in my opinion, a viable Heisman candidate. If Armanti Edwards continues to put up the types of numbers he did last year and if App State has a good showing against LSU (or beats them) we might be looking at the strongest division II Heisman candidate since Steve McNair at Alcorn State.

Silver King
08-27-2008, 05:53 AM
Silver King, aka The Mad Mover, switched the thread to this writing forum. I'm not sure why.

If it isn't back on the Office Party by tomorrow, I'll start another one there--tentative title: College Football Fans (non-writing).

Well, whatever happened to the new thread? I never saw it and was all ready to port it here, to the SPORTS forum.

"The Mad Mover" is hungry, so please by all means give him a reason to eat.

Thank you.

TMM

Haggis
08-27-2008, 06:03 AM
Awwwwwwwww....Haggis! You shouldn't hate me! Right now, you should be too worried about Utah to hate me.

Oh, Celina, you know I don't hate you. I just hate the city you live in. With every breath I take, no matter what time of year, football season or not, I say to myself, "I hate Columbus, and I hate the Buckeyes." Down deep in the core of your being, in the very guts of your soul, you know I'm right.

And don't give me that "Vols" bullshit. :D

mscelina
08-27-2008, 10:42 PM
You won't get any argument from me, Haggis. Being a Volunteer in a state full of Buckeye nuts is a pain in the wazoo.

*grin*

But I'll still smacktalk at you when 'the game' rolls around. For right now, the only reason I have to root for the Suckeyes as my second 'favorite' team is the hope that they will go into the Rose Bowl and kick Pete Carroll's ass. Hearing about USC makes my eyeteeth curl. Any school that talks about a 'dynasty' after winning only one BCS championship should be plowed under and the earth salted above its remains.

But, of course, my beloved Volunteers will be in the Rose Bowl this week playing ping pong with the poor schmoes of UCLA's defensive line. What fun that will be!

Since this is the first football season in my adult life where I'm not working, I may actually try to get to some games this year. If I make it to the Michigan game, I'll be sure to take lots of pictures so you can share in the experience.

Wuss. Go Utah!

Ol' 61
08-28-2008, 05:12 AM
"Wonder what the mood in Ann Arbor would be like if the Wolverines lost two straight home openers?"

I'll let you know when I go to work the Monday after! My guess--Donors, alumni, booster clubs--they'll all start calling for a refund!

Haggis--have you seen what they've done to the Big House? It's ugly while under construction, and I can't see it ever becoming a thing of beauty.

Cecilia

Ol' 61
08-28-2008, 05:15 AM
Hey, I went to John Marshall, too! Granted it was probably a different HS in a totally different state, but still. We're sort of alumni.

We were the Eagles.

Wow. That John Marshall guy really got around, didn't he?

And your team has a waaaayyyy better name than ours. But that's probably because my favorite band is The Eagles, and I still harbor a teenaged crush on one of their guitar-players not named Walsh!

<Slinks off to the Old Farts thread in historical writing....>

Haggis
08-28-2008, 05:48 AM
"Wonder what the mood in Ann Arbor would be like if the Wolverines lost two straight home openers?"

I'll let you know when I go to work the Monday after! My guess--Donors, alumni, booster clubs--they'll all start calling for a refund!

Haggis--have you seen what they've done to the Big House? It's ugly while under construction, and I can't see it ever becoming a thing of beauty.

Cecilia

My work is very close to the stadium, so, yes, I've seen the chaos. We've got another couple of years to deal with it too. But, hey. Michigan values having the largest stadium, and it will be again, very, very soon. At least until they decide to rebuild in Happy Valley. :D

Writer2011
08-28-2008, 06:37 AM
Don't forget tomorrow night (Thursday) it's USC (University of South Carolina) vs NC State...like State has a chance :) I have to root for USC b/c my half brother and sister go there!! Of course I will ALWAYS pull for the Tarheels!!!

I can't believe college football season is here :)

mscelina
08-28-2008, 07:59 PM
TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The wait is over! Starting TODAY it is offically COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON!!!!!!

*cues playlist with fight songs*

South Carolina versus NC State. The ol' ball coach is in hot water in Columbia--his Gamecocks have never lived up to his reputation. But, NC State has fallen far from the elite program that nurtured Phil Rivers for four years. Shouldn't be a problem for SC--their offense has too many options for NC State to cover.

USC 27 NC State 10

DON'T FORGET!

University of Miami (Ohio) versus Vanderbilt-- Vanderbilt's great team of a year ago graduated way too many seniors, while Miami continues to hover halfway between obscurity and elite. Miami's high-powered offense will make mincemeat of the non-existent bottom-feeding Vanderbilt secondary. Beware the blowout!

UoM-Ohio 42 Vanderbilt 17

I love college football.

Bayou Bill
08-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Well, whatever happened to the new thread? I never saw it and was all ready to port it here, to the SPORTS forum.

"The Mad Mover" is hungry, so please by all means give him a reason to eat.

Thank you.

TMM
Seemed pretty pointless when you did the same thing to the Olympic thread you did to this one. :e2shrug:

Enjoy your power.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled posting.

Let the (college football) games begin!

vixey
08-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Don't forget tomorrow night (Thursday) it's USC (University of South Carolina) vs NC State

Oh, Puhlease!! We face the real USC on Saturday! At least it's at Scott Stadium.

::begins nailbiting::

Hey, Hey UVA!!! Wahoo-wa!!

mscelina
08-28-2008, 10:54 PM
I'd love to see UVA pull of the upset, but I'm not putting my money on it.

But I am taking 'Bama over Clemson.

Writer2011
08-28-2008, 10:57 PM
COLLEGE FOOTBALL STARTS TODAY

YAY!!! I am soooooo excited. Mscelina..I LOVE college football!!!

Go Tarheels!!!

crimsonlaw
08-29-2008, 01:06 AM
Oh yes! Only a few more hours until all is right with the world and college football is officially back in our lives! What a beautiful freaking day!

I can never take a vacation on Labor Day weekend because it always seems to clash with the start of the season. And it's not like I can relax this weekend. Using every ounce of your being to help will your team to victory is hard work! College football fans deserve an extra day off!

All I can say is that this is one of the best weekends of the year. I'm so excited. I get to spend Saturday evening screaming and cheering on the greatest college football program, with 12 National Championships, 21 SEC Championships, more than 30 bowl victories, over 100 First Team All-Americans and almost 800 victories!

ROLL TIDE!!!

Oh, to sing Rammer Jammer in the Georgia Dome again! What a great weekend it would be! Sigh...

I would like the record to reflect, however, that I will be pulling for UCLA to lose to that awful team north of us that wears the hideous orange uniforms and plays that blasted song 400 times a game. As much as I enjoy watching teams in orange suffer, I love watching the SEC dominate the other conferences. I can't suppress my gag reflex enough to actually cheer for these unmentionable teams, of course, but I don't wish anything bad upon them while they play out of conference.

I just hope I'm this happy come Saturday night. Roll Tide everyone! Roll Tide!

mscelina
08-29-2008, 03:40 AM
*grin*

crimsonlaw you realize, of course, why Florida is still part of the continent?

Because Alabama sucks sooooooooooooooooooooo bad.

GO VOLS!

But I'm still taking Bama over Clemson. Clemson's hype seems a bit extreme for me and if 'Bama wants to prove its reemergence onto the national scene this is the game where it has to do it.

mscelina
08-29-2008, 09:36 PM
I've got to remember that this isn't the same old comfortable Vanderbilt of days of lore. Geesch.

More football today! Life is good.

Writer2011
08-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Let's not forget about tomorrow!! The Tarheels play McNeese state--should be pretty easy but the coache's set schedules years in advance. So, I just go with it and hope for the best.

Beach Bunny
08-29-2008, 10:49 PM
You're right Bill this is in the bowels of the forum, but if you painted, put in a beer fridge, and put up some nice posters it be a nice place to hang out in.

This is a nice one: http://www.gatorzone.com/football/misc/images/natlchamp/natlchamp_logo.jpg

And the invasion of crazed football fans begin! :popcorn: ETA: (I live in Gainesville. Game day weekends are a zoo.)

Writer2011
08-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Well beach bunny..I have to admit I like the Gators because I also like the SEC next to the ACC of course :)

Beach Bunny
08-30-2008, 12:58 AM
Ack, sorry, except for MsCelina, I didn't mean you all . I LIVE in Gainesville. Gameday weekends are a freakin' zoo.

crimsonlaw
08-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Oh mscelina... Such a cute little joke. Let me try a few:

A guy goes into a bar and asks the bartender if he wants to hear a good Tennessee joke.

The bartender says, "Before you tell it, you should know that I am 6-2 and weigh 225 and I'm from Tennessee. See that guy at the end of the bar? He's 6-4 and weighs 250 and he's from Tennessee, too. And see the guy at the other end of the bar? He's 6-6 and weighs 280 and he's from Tennessee,too! Now, do you still want to tell your Tennessee joke?"

The guy says, "Nah."

To which the bartender smiles and says, "What's the matter? Are ya chicken?"

The guy says, "Nah. I just don't want to have to explain it three times."

Two Tennessee fans are walking down different ends of a street toward each other and one is carrying a sack. When they meet, one says, "Hey Tommy Ray, what'cha got in th' bag?"

"Jus' some chickens.

"If I guess how many there are, can I have one?"

"I'll give you both of them."

"OK. Ummmmm......, five?"

How do you get a Tennessee fan to stop beating his wife? Dress her in Crimson.

What do you call a beautiful woman on the arm of a Tennessee fan? A tattoo.

What is the difference between a dollar bill and the Tennessee Volunteers? You only get three quarters out of the Vols.

What do Tennessee fans call I-59? The Trail of Tears.

An Alabama and Tennessee fan were driving in opposite directions on dark stormy night and they had a collision in the middle of the road. The Vol manages to climb out of his car and survey the damage. Like wise the Alabama man climbs out of his car and does the same. Both feel lucky to have survived the wreck. The Vol walks over to the Bama man and says “I think this is a sign from God we should put away our petty differences and live as friends instead of arch rivals. The Bama man says “you are absolutely right! We should be friends”. Now I am going to see what else survived this wreck. So the Bama man opens his trunk and finds a full unopened bottle of Jack Daniels. He says to the Vol, “I think this is another sign from God that we should toast to our new found understanding and friendship.” The Vol says, “You’re right!”, and he grabs the bottle and starts sucking down the whiskey. After putting away nearly half the bottle, he hands it back to the Bama man and says, “Your turn!” The Bama man twists the cap back on the bottle and says, “Nahh, I think I’ll just wait for the cops to show up.”

Ahh, football time is great! Enjoy the weekend! ROLL TIDE!!!

Beach Bunny
08-31-2008, 12:03 AM
:ROFL:

Tennessee is called the Volunteer state. Out of all the states they sent the most to help defend the Alamo because

It's better to DIE in Texas, than LIVE in Tennessee. :)

So, whos winning? :popcorn:

mscelina
08-31-2008, 01:30 AM
LMAO!

I love college football. *grin*

Wow, does Michigan look bad or what? AND both Pitt and Va Tech losing in upsets??? Been an interesting day so far--I'm really looking forward to Alabama-Clemson tonight.

Haggis
08-31-2008, 05:49 AM
LMAO!

I love college football. *grin*

Wow, does Michigan look bad or what? AND both Pitt and Va Tech losing in upsets??? Been an interesting day so far--I'm really looking forward to Alabama-Clemson tonight.

*searches for that 'I hate you Celina' pic you posted earlier...doesn't find it*

No. Michigan doesn't look bad. They look awful. Not that Utah sucks. But, no, they won't be much of a challenge this year. Of course, in years like this, we sometimes manage to beat OSU. :D

vixey
08-31-2008, 05:51 AM
I'd love to see UVA pull of the upset, but I'm not putting my money on it.

::rubs bruised bottom and sobs after humiliating defeat::

althrasher
08-31-2008, 06:07 AM
<---Is le sad.

mscelina
08-31-2008, 06:19 PM
Well, we certainly discovered some interesting things yesterday. A spread offense does not work without the appropriate people to run it, Michigan, although a tenacious defense can keep it closer than it should be. It doesn't matter how big the hype is, Clemson, if you don't show up to play. When you play your Heisman candidate running back, Ohio State, in a game where he's not needed any more you run certain risks. And even though you won, Missouri, I'd be pretty darn upset with the way your defense allowed so many points scored against you.

Another fascinating and fun-filled start to the season! And today, the Louisville-Kentucky rivalry continues as well as Colorado-Colorado State. Should be fun.

mscelina
08-31-2008, 08:24 PM
*searches for that 'I hate you Celina' pic you posted earlier...doesn't find it*

No. Michigan doesn't look bad. They look awful. Not that Utah sucks. But, no, they won't be much of a challenge this year. Of course, in years like this, we sometimes manage to beat OSU. :D

Here you go. I'd hate for you not to have it when you need it...

:D

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i293/isabelle_spurrier/haggisluvsme-3.jpg

crimsonlaw
09-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Heck of a day. Heck of a night too! So freaking nice to see Alabama play with some toughness again. Of course, having a nose tackle who is pushing 400lbs helps a little too!

Here's hoping that the SEC can make it through the weekend with only one loss (stupid Miss. St.)!

mscelina
09-01-2008, 12:52 AM
'Bama looked positively badass last night. Kentucky's looking good right now. We'll see if the Vols keep to the trend.

Great win for the Tide!

Ol' 61
09-01-2008, 07:33 PM
:ROFL:

Tennessee is called the Volunteer state. Out of all the states they sent the most to help defend the Alamo because

It's better to DIE in Texas, than LIVE in Tennessee. :)

So, whos winning? :popcorn:

Reminds me of something Gen. Sherman once said. (Yes, the same one who marched to the sea in the Civil War--the one the tank is named for).

"If I owned Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas."

It has nothing to do with football. But I thought it was funny.

crimsonlaw
09-02-2008, 06:29 PM
What in the world happened last night? Tennessee is a much better team than that. What a bad loss. I imagine folks in Knoxville are none to pleased this week.

Well, at least in a few weeks I can get back to rooting against Tennessee. Just makes me feel so conflicted to cheer for them during these non-conference games...

mscelina
09-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Talk about disappointing. After all of the bright spots of that game, the kicker missed a straight-on 34-yard FIELD GOAL???? In OVERTIME?????

It's all Colquitt's fault for being suspended for five games.

No, seriously. UCLA came out looking HORRID but what a turnaround in the second half! I'd be willing to bet that they will wreak some serious havoc in the PAC-10. As for Tennessee, well, they've probably learned some valuable lessons about finishing the game. I hope so.

We''ll see over the next couple of weeks, I suppose. ;)

crimsonlaw
09-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Based on that one game (and that one game only), Tennessee looked very mediocre. I was very surprised. I thought UCLA would keep it close until halftime and then Tennessee would just take the game over. The offensive line was much worse than I expected. They just seemed to run out of gas in the fourth quarter. Wait, did y'all hire Shula as your conditioning coach??? :D Seriously, though, The Vols will have a heck of a time in conference games if they don't fix that problem quickly!

Tennessee still has lots of talent and the defense looked pretty strong. They still have a chance to make a lot of noise in the SEC, but they also could have a tough year. So long as they lose their third game in October, I'll be happy!

Hopefully this week is more fun for y'all and at least as much fun for us!

mscelina
09-05-2008, 07:27 PM
And for one day, a brilliant and calendar-worthy day in Nashville, Vanderbilt reigns as the best football team in the country...

2-0. Vandy.

Ah well! Looks like we're going to have another wacky year! :D

crimsonlaw
09-06-2008, 01:10 AM
Yeah... Doesn't feel right, does it? Next thing you know, Kentucky fans will be cheering for their football team in January, Fulmer will be appointed to the President's Commission on Physical Fitness, Arkansas will lead the league in passing offense, Alabama will put together back-to-back 10 win seasons and Miles will stop making moronic decisions that turn out so blasted well for him.

It's like the bizarro world in college football! God love it.

robeiae
09-07-2008, 03:48 AM
http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/6/60651/29_2007/umiamilogo_0.jpg

vixey
09-07-2008, 03:58 AM
http://www.mycav.com/images/cavalier.jpg

mscelina
09-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Miami could have pulled it off too, Rob... if they'd had one more quarter of gas and an offense that managed to scrape together just a couple of big plays.

How about ECU? Take a look at the rest of their schedule if you wanted to check out a fairly easy coast to the BCS.

And this week, Ohio State goes to Pasadena to play USC. *snerk* This is one of those weeks that I have to like the Suckeyes. Just can't root for a 'dynasty' that only won a single BCS championship...

Haggis
09-08-2008, 06:14 PM
A little scare down there in Columbus Saturday, huh, Celina? Your suckeyes still got the W of course. I'll be anxious to see if that was just a blip or if they're really going to have problems.

It's gonna be a long year in Ann Arbor, I'm afraid. Yeah, they got the W too, but barely, and over a MAC team at that.

mscelina
09-08-2008, 06:25 PM
I think that was Jim Tressel trying to sit on his play book and nearly getting burned for it. Beanie isn't really hurt, you know, Pryor played three offensive series and one was the last--he was 'trying' to be sneaky so USC wouldn't get much on film and completely forgot that you just can't overlook a MAC team any more. But yeah--I was sitting in the room with all of my husband's full-out Buckeye fanatic family making snarky remarks for most of the game. They gave me grief last week b/c our kicker missed a field goal.

This week I got to point out that at least he made all the extra points.

I'd expect to see a completely different OSU this weekend (like...one that can play...) and a perfectly healthy Beanie Wells running the ball. The thing with Michigan though? *shakes head* They looked better. The defense is good. The offense looks much better at the end of the game than the beginning. And this week you get Notre Dame,right?

*evil grin*

You'll be fine. I actually do think that Michigan will improve over the course of the year--and three years from now will be back in the BCS arena where they belong--but yeah; these kinds of years do suck. Profusely.

EriRae
09-14-2008, 05:14 AM
Bwahahahaha---we have been vindicated! We beat the Wolverines! Maybe they're not the Pacifist Irish after all.

Sorry, Haggis--had to rub it in. :D Eight total turnovers, six for Michigan. Seven fumbles. At least ND knows how to pick up the ball when it hits the ground.

EriRae
09-14-2008, 05:23 AM
UNI looked better against BYU than UCLA did. Another good year for the Panthers! (yes, I know it's early, but I have to be optimistic about something!)

Haggis
09-14-2008, 05:32 AM
Bwahahahaha---we have been vindicated! We beat the Wolverines! Maybe they're not the Pacifist Irish after all.

Sorry, Haggis--had to rub it in. :D Eight total turnovers, six for Michigan. Seven fumbles. At least ND knows how to pick up the ball when it hits the ground.

Not to mention the fact that Touchdown Jesus was wearing stripes today. Gawd! What a pathetic game. There's no way you can give the ball away that many times and hope to win. No way at all.

Crap! The Wolverines couldn't even hit Charlie Weis. One of his own men had to take him out.

*shakes head...opens vein....*

cray
09-14-2008, 06:53 AM
:roll:

mscelina
09-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Not MY Suckeyes--I'm a UT alum who happens to live close to Columbus. I only root for OSU a few games per year. (which they usually lose, I might add)

So what did we learn this weekend?

Well, the Suckeyes still suck and Tressel ball doesn't work any more. How many times did Pryor get the offense moving just so Tressel could give the ball to Boeckman and have him turn it over? Pffffffffffft. Turnovers and penalties--shame on OSU. I'm hearing a lot of folks up here whining about how Tressel refused to let Beanie play and how it would have been 'different.' It wouldn't have been.

USC has a hella lot of speed. Dayum. They also have a very ugly like edge to their attitude that I really hate to see in amateur sports. They'll be primed for anupset this year because 'nobody can f*cking stop us.' From a coach? Ridiculous.

Michigan is scary bad. (Sorry, Haggis.) Granted, the game was played in nasty conditions, but SEVEN fumbles? Totally nuts. Then again, you also have to wonder where in the heck they found crutches strong enough for Charlie Weiss. Good gods. Now, Notre Dame could conceivably end up as a bowl team--thanks to their candya$$ schedule and the Michigan offense. Blech.

Georgia looked vulnerable and should have been beat--despite my lifelong hatred of the visor-wearing butthead at South Carolina, it's a shame his team fumbled away their shot at overtime which they probably would have won. UCLA versus BYU--ouch. But then again, BYU won last week with their twelfth thirteenth and fourteenth men (great refereeing job in the Washington game, eh?). Oregon should have lost. Maryland should have keep their margin alive instead of letting Cal creep back in at the end. The score does not reflect that game--Maryland stomped Cal all over the field.

And this week, Tennessee hosts a Florida team that let a rebuilding Miami team hang with them for three whole quarters. Judging from what I saw from the Tennessee game against UAB, Tebow is going to be eating a heck of a lot of Neyland turf on Saturday.

Go Vols.

Haggis
09-15-2008, 08:32 PM
There is one piece of good news. The UB Bulls are leading the MAC. :snoopy:

mscelina
09-15-2008, 10:53 PM
The MAC is really starting to look like more of a major conference than the Big East. *whew!* Five years ago, I would have bet my house that I would never ever type that sentence.

crimsonlaw
09-17-2008, 07:00 PM
When Team A beats Team B 59-0, it's not a case where Team B had a bad day. Team B simply has no business being on the field with Team A. Team A is clearly superior in all aspects of the game.

That being said, what do we take away from UCLA beating Tennessee but getting crushed by BYU? Is Tennessee that bad? Is BYU that good? I know it's an exercise in stupidity to compare who beats who, but I find this situation very interesting.

On another note, thank God that the USC-Ohio State game was played in week three. It would have ruined the season for me to hear about the newest "Game of the Century" for much longer. ESPN has a knack for ruining football for me at times when they start having love fests with certain teams. I'll never forget how 2004-2005 USC team was easily considered the greatest sports team ever fielded by mankind, only to watch them lose to Texas in the BCS championship. For this reason, I'm somewhat disappointed that the SEC and ESPN have sold their souls to each other; I don't want a week long analysis of how the rotation of the earth could very well be affected by the LSU-Auburn game this week.

Here's to hoping that the craziness of college football continues, ESPN calms down a little and Alabama keeps winning!

mscelina
09-17-2008, 07:31 PM
LMAO!

UCLA-TENNESSEE was a fluke, as you well know. Just like 'Bama's inability to score an offensive touchdown against Tulane was a fluke. *grin* Or I hope it was a fluke for your sake. Georgia should have lost to SC. Florida looked like crap against Miami.

And amen about the USC game. If you thought it was bad down there, you should have been up HERE. All the screaming and whining about the game is driving me loopy. As I suspected they would, the fan base here is ready for Tressel's blood--because he didn't play a 17 year old true freshman enough in the biggest game of the year and he wouldn't permit Beanie Wells to take a chance on a more serious injury and benched him for the game. *shrug* Thank god I'm not bartending any more. I'd have to skimp on a lot of people's drinks this fall.

Haggis
09-17-2008, 08:22 PM
LMAO!

UCLA-TENNESSEE was a fluke, as you well know. Just like 'Bama's inability to score an offensive touchdown against Tulane was a fluke. *grin* Or I hope it was a fluke for your sake. Georgia should have lost to SC. Florida looked like crap against Miami.

And amen about the USC game. If you thought it was bad down there, you should have been up HERE. All the screaming and whining about the game is driving me loopy. As I suspected they would, the fan base here is ready for Tressel's blood--because he didn't play a 17 year old true freshman enough in the biggest game of the year and he wouldn't permit Beanie Wells to take a chance on a more serious injury and benched him for the game. *shrug* Thank god I'm not bartending any more. I'd have to skimp on a lot of people's drinks this fall.

They're after Tressel's head already?

Can I help? :D

mscelina
09-17-2008, 09:55 PM
They're after Tressel's head already?

Can I help? :D

Not so much after his head, but there is substantial disgruntlement in Columbus and surrounding areas. Which, imo, is understandable. Pete Fiutak did a really good analysis of why OSU lost the game on www.collegefootballnews.com (http://www.collegefootballnews.com) -- although he didn't quite stretch to my "Tressel is an idiot" point, he came very close to it.

An absolutely senseless loss for the program. If it had been three points, it might have been understandable. But for a program like Ohio State to get spanked by a PAC-10 team regardless of WHO it is is positively ridiculous.

donroc
09-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Although I am a Cal alum and never a fan of USC and Stanford especially, I love it when any PAC10 team beats a team from another conference and Notre Dame.

mscelina
09-17-2008, 10:50 PM
As well you should. What in the heck happened to Cal against Maryland anyway?

crimsonlaw
09-17-2008, 11:53 PM
Hey now! Bama did have a rushing touchdown in the 3rd quarter against Tulane! And Tulane may end up being a stout little team (at least I hope I'm right, because that was AWFUL otherwise).

Even if Tennessee-UCLA was a fluke (which was my knee jerk reaction), it still makes me wonder about Tennessee. I'm stuck in a world where either Tennessee is significantly worse than I thought or BYU is much, much better than I would have even believed. Or it's just college football as usual!

Ohio State had no business losing to USC by that much. I didn't watch the game, choosing instead to be entertained by the barn burner known as Auburn-MSU (pun intended), so my incredibly uninformed opinions come more from articles I've read and highlights I've seen. Ohio State has as much talent as USC, so it has to be coaching. Did Ohio State just play as conservatively as it sounds? This should have been an all-or-nothing gameplan from Tressel because losing this game, especially this badly, really hurts Ohio State's chances of being the runner-up to another SEC team in the BCS game. If they're going to be in the title game this year, they may have to back into it and pray that USC doesn't make it (because I just believe the voters will work against a rematch).

Even though my opinion is not popular among the die hard Tide fans, I always root for the SEC versus non-conference foes. Of course, I'd be happy if the SEC went to an 11 game conference schedule and didn't play out-of-conference games because I love watching SEC games. I'd rather watch Bama-Vandy than Bama-Western Kentucky any day of the year.

donroc
09-18-2008, 12:19 AM
Cal vs. Maryland? Painful. I am grateful I was there when we went (and lost) to three Rose Bowls in a row. Well, two ... I was a H.S. senior in '48, but we ushered at the home games.

We have not gone to the Rose Bowl since Joe Kapp's great year, but at least our Aaron Rodgers is doing well so far.

mscelina
09-18-2008, 08:18 PM
donroc, that's so cute. ;)

Oh, my bad crimsonlaw. That's right: you managed ONE touchdown against Tulane. *snicker*

Okay, okay--that's it. No more Bama jokes. Tulane has been improving over the last couple of years. We'll find out how good Tennessee is this weekend, and I have a feeling that BYU is every bit as good as they looked. (they still should have won against Washington, but then again it must be hard to buy refs like that)

My fondest memory of college life was dragging the goalposts down the strip in Knoxville and selling splinters off it for a beer the day we beat Alabama for the first time in a decade. Fun night. Bad morning. But what the hell? I was seventeen and it was my birthday weekend--which is when we usually play the Tide.

But I think we can both agree that Georgia isn't all that, right?

Beach Bunny
09-21-2008, 03:54 AM
Florida 30 Tennessee 6 :snoopy: :banana::snoopy:

Haggis
09-21-2008, 04:24 AM
Michigan didn't lose today.:snoopy:

crimsonlaw
09-22-2008, 07:59 AM
I'll say this now and I may regret it this time next week: Georgia looks very beatable. I've become a very pessimistic fan over the past, oh, decade, so I won't say that Alabama will beat them, but I wouldn't be shocked. Auburn should give them fits, though, and Florida may scare them as well. Having said that, they'll go 11-1 with their one loss being to Vandy, the new powerhouse in the SEC. Glad we don't draw them this year!

I only got to see the first half of the Florida-UT game, but I saw enough to know who was the better team that day. What's the word in the Vols' Nation? Are y'all sick of Fulmer yet? I hope he sticks around for another couple of seasons so we can start up another streak!

Really? You ripped down the goal posts over beating Alabama? Huh... I don't think we've ever done that. Maybe if we played a team worthy of that sort of celebration, like the '72 Dolphins. :D

On to national news: Notre Dame. Wow. At least Michigan has hope. And is there some new rule that USC gets every other week off?

Shadow_Ferret
09-26-2008, 07:16 PM
College football season started?

mscelina
09-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Wow. Just wow. Did anyone see USC get beat by Oregon State last night? Holy crap.

Bayou Bill
09-27-2008, 01:22 AM
Wow. Just wow. Did anyone see USC get beat by Oregon State last night? Holy crap.
I did. Be sure to check out the rushing stats. They say it all.

mscelina
09-27-2008, 02:02 AM
186 yards rushing by a five foot six inch guy against the vaunted Trojan defense. Yep.

crimsonlaw
09-30-2008, 07:21 AM
Waiting for people to start gushing about the greatness that is Alabama football... I'll just say this: it has been a while since Alabama football was fun to watch. Like Gene Stallings days.

I'm just worried because Notre Dame has won a couple of games, so it's just a matter of time before Alabama is bumped for Notre Dame in the polls...

tlblack
09-30-2008, 07:50 AM
The season isn't over til the last game is played, (nothing like the Iron Bowl) but one thing can be said about Alabama at this point. The Tide is rolling!

Jersey Chick
09-30-2008, 07:54 AM
Rutgers finally won. yippee.

mscelina
10-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Should be a fun day today--anyone have any early picks or thoughts?

Haggis
10-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Should be a fun day today--anyone have any early picks or thoughts?

Yes. Michigan will play one quarter of good football. It might be enough.

mscelina
10-04-2008, 07:58 PM
You're playing Illinois. As brilliantly as they shoot themselves in the foot, one quarter might be all you need.

Tennessee has finally benched our worthless quarterback in favor of a true freshman with a big arm. Thank god.

OSU-Wisconsin. Hmmm.....

Poor Ferret. *grin* And what's up with the Badger band being suspended. ALL OF IT? They must have a hell of a lot of fun when hazing up there in Camp Randall...

CHEER FOR THE DAY: GO KENTUCKY!

Haggis
10-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Poor Ferret. *grin* And what's up with the Badger band being suspended. ALL OF IT? They must have a hell of a lot of fun when hazing up there in Camp Randall...

That was pretty funny. I guess they'll have to settle for a couple of fans playing On Wisconsin on kazoos.

mscelina
10-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Oh well. As least they can still jump around.

*JUMP JUMP JUMP!*

It'll be good practice for the hoops they'll have to go through later on this week...

mscelina
09-03-2009, 03:29 AM
Well, it's a new year. College football season starts tomorrow night and I. couldn't. be. HAPPIER.

Due to the dearth of entertainment on television over the past few months, being able to spend at least three days a week watching football is a definite dream come true.

This year, my Tennessee Volunteers are debuting their new head coach, his genius father as defensive coordinator and a Heisman Trophy candidate Eric Berry at safety. Although I'm still pissed at how they ended my beloved Coach Fulmer's career at UT, I'm willing to at least give the Kiffin era a shot. Hopefully, he can convince me that he's not going to trample all over the traditions I grew up with and revere.

As for the Ohio State Suckeyes, my obligatory second-favorite team if I want to maintain harmony in my marriage, it'll be interesting to see what they can do after all the kids they lost from last year's team. I was interested to see today that Coach Tressel (the most predictable man in football) came out in support of the beleagured Michigan program today.

Anyone else want to give a shout out for their favorite team? This is the thread.

~*Kate*~
09-03-2009, 05:47 AM
*runs in*

Boomer Sooner!

*runs out*

Seriously, though, I hear ya on the split household, only mine is split with the Razorbacks-- so not much competition. Whether or not my children will be taught to call the Hogs is a bone of contention in the extended family.

Haggis
09-03-2009, 06:27 AM
As for the Ohio State Suckeyes, my obligatory second-favorite team if I want to maintain harmony in my marriage, it'll be interesting to see what they can do after all the kids they lost from last year's team.

New record for OSU imprisonments, huh?

robeiae
09-20-2009, 04:06 AM
Trojans...Loosers!

Go Canes! Next stop, the top ten again.

Haggis
09-20-2009, 04:15 AM
Michigan's going all the way this year.

Well, okay. Maybe not. But soon. Soon.

Wayne K
09-20-2009, 04:18 AM
Yay, I was looking for a place to share this: I called the Washington upset of USC this morning. I bet two dollars on it. I'm rich!

ELMontague
09-20-2009, 08:12 AM
The Tech v Texas game was only a field goal if you leave out the punt returned for a touchdown. No backing away, we got beat, but it was no blowout.

~*Kate*~
09-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Yesterday went well for us, but I've still been wanting to make this my avatar:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/kdhart226/web%20stuff/image001.jpg

The Lonely One
09-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Oooh thank God I found this thread!

This just in:

Go USF Bulls.

Go Wolvies.

Boo Irish.

Boo Florida.

That is all.

robeiae
09-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Trojans...Loosers!

Go Canes! Next stop, the top ten again.

Polls in...Bam! No. 9 with a bullet...

cscarlet
09-21-2009, 09:37 AM
YAAAAY WE WON WE WON!!!!! :) Best 1:44 ever. (OK, not "ever." Vick's play in West Virginia takes number 1, but this easily ranks up there). We even let off fireworks in our back yard we were so freakin excited.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Lonely One
09-21-2009, 10:19 AM
YAAAAY WE WON WE WON!!!!! :) Best 1:44 ever. (OK, not "ever." Vick's play in West Virginia takes number 1, but this easily ranks up there). We even let off fireworks in our back yard we were so freakin excited.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations! I had fireworks go off in my head when Michigan beat the Irish. Does that count?

Let's hope the rest of the season goes this well for us...

The Lonely One
09-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Yay it's Thursday everyone!

Interested in this one:
Ole Miss vs. South Carolina

Other than that can't wait until Saturday. There are three games at once I want to watch, but I'm most interested in South Florida/state@noon. Have to find someone with ESPNU!

Wayne K
09-24-2009, 11:00 PM
How exactly did Ole Miss get a number 4 ranking?

SC will win this game.

cscarlet
09-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Congratulations! I had fireworks go off in my head when Michigan beat the Irish. Does that count?

Let's hope the rest of the season goes this well for us...

That ALWAYS counts :) Especially when you're beating the Irish. I support all teams who beat the irish ;) haha.

I'm hoping for a repeat of this:
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m69/chrissieflowers/miamiFailure.jpg

(picture was taken the last time Miami dared enter Lane Stadium).

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! :)

Have to say though, all of my friends who were able to make it last week to the game said Nebraska fans were awesome. High class, and they traveled well. Win or lose, I'd like to go next time we play again.

(*Miami I would still like to cream). ;)

Lamp Here
09-25-2009, 03:34 AM
Oh my freaking DOG! There is a college football thread here? YES!

Game I'm looking at this week: VT and Miami- should be a great one. About to catch that Ole Miss S. Car game.

Oh yeah... HOOK 'EM HORNS! (Sorry El Montague- didn't see ya there when I originally posted.)

Wayne K
09-25-2009, 03:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHi80HEbhbg

This.

~*Kate*~
09-25-2009, 04:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHi80HEbhbg

This.

And here I just changed my "What Would Tim Tebow Do?" user text.

robeiae
09-25-2009, 05:56 AM
That ALWAYS counts :) Especially when you're beating the Irish. I support all teams who beat the irish ;) haha.

I'm hoping for a repeat of this:
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m69/chrissieflowers/miamiFailure.jpg

(picture was taken the last time Miami dared enter Lane Stadium).

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! :)

Have to say though, all of my friends who were able to make it last week to the game said Nebraska fans were awesome. High class, and they traveled well. Win or lose, I'd like to go next time we play again.

(*Miami I would still like to cream). ;)
UM has definitely been down for a while. And it's good that the lesser programs were able to build something from their victories over UM.

But I'm afraid that time is now over. Back to the top, we go...

I'm from Virginia and, truth be told, I feel a little bad for VaTech, It's never easy when you're entire world comes apart inside of four hours. Hopefully, the Hokies can get in a few more hours of believing they are actually competitive. ;)

Wayne K
09-25-2009, 06:05 AM
How exactly did Ole Miss get a number 4 ranking?

SC will win this game.

16-3 in the third, I wish I knew a bookie. I like Ole Miss's QB, I daresay he's great. But the polls ranked this team based on one player.

Lamp Here
09-25-2009, 09:05 AM
Wayne K: me too.

Kate: I think the Tebow/ESPN love affair might be slowing up a bit after that TN debacle. At least, I hope so. YACK!

Prediction: VA Tech- 24 Miami- 16 Oh snap!

Wayne K
09-25-2009, 09:17 AM
Last week I picked Washington to beat USC. Tonight I picked USC to beat Ole Miss. I think I'm done predicting for a while.

Dare I pick Oregon to beat Cal?

I'm pushing it.

CEtchison
09-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Well the Ducks always play better at home, so it's always possible. But usually there is only one huge upset in the Pac-10 each season and it happened last week. I'd be surprised if Cal wasn't on alert for this one.

My alma-mater has a bye week so I'm kinda bummed. But I'll keep an eye on the Miami v. Va.Tech game since we play the Hurricanes next week.

Lamp Here
09-25-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm not gonna predict for Cal/Ore- too unpredictable.

Summerspring: I see we have another Sooner fan. I'm a horns girl, but I'm all for the Big 12 when it comes to non-conference play.

CEtchison
09-25-2009, 11:41 PM
Well.... Howdy Ho fellow Big XIIer!!

This might surprise you, but I'm actually cheering for McCoy to win the Heisman this year.

Bradford's injury knocked out the chance for a repeat. The best runningback I've seen this year is a freshman... and we all know what the Heisman voters think about giving the award to a freshman.... grrr. McCoy winning it will keep me from gouging out my eyeballs and piercing my eardrums with a spork so I don't have watch or to listen to PreacherTim Tebow give another sermon acceptance speech.

~*Kate*~
09-25-2009, 11:44 PM
McCoy winning it will keep me from gouging out my eyeballs and piercing my eardrums with a spork so I don't have watch or to listen to PreacherTim Tebow give another sermon acceptance speech.

OMG, I love you. :Hail:

Jcomp
09-25-2009, 11:57 PM
I doubt it can continue due to his youth and overall team inexperience, but if Jacory Harris keeps playing like this he's going to be right there in the Heisman consideration. If it comes down to him and McCoy though, with comparable accomplishments, the senior is definitely going to get the edge.

cscarlet
09-26-2009, 02:23 AM
UM has definitely been down for a while. And it's good that the lesser programs were able to build something from their victories over UM.

But I'm afraid that time is now over. Back to the top, we go...

I'm from Virginia and, truth be told, I feel a little bad for VaTech, It's never easy when you're entire world comes apart inside of four hours. Hopefully, the Hokies can get in a few more hours of believing they are actually competitive. ;) With Bud Foster on our side, we will ALWAYS be competitive. That man is an animal. I agree our offense is beyond abysmal. It's depressing, and I loathe Steinspring with every fiber of my being. But, I still love the Hokies, love the special teams (Beamer Ball!), and adore our defensive line. Throw in a VERY loud Lane Stadium (ahem - chosen as #1 for best football entrance, thank you very much - see below for details) and you have an exciting game no matter the outcome!* :D
(* strings of explatives verbalized after each offensive play which leads to a loss not included) ;)

http://www.realclearsports.com/lists/college_football_entrances/virginia_tech_enter_sandman.html?state=stop

robeiae
09-26-2009, 04:20 AM
My alma-mater has a bye week so I'm kinda bummed. But I'll keep an eye on the Miami v. Va.Tech game since we play the Hurricanes next week.
Wow. Having a bye week must be rough, knowing that a huge, embarassing loss is the only thing you have to look forward to... :evil

I doubt it can continue due to his youth and overall team inexperience, but if Jacory Harris keeps playing like this he's going to be right there in the Heisman consideration. If it comes down to him and McCoy though, with comparable accomplishments, the senior is definitely going to get the edge.The kid has ice water for blood.

Insider info: he's waaaaay too cool of a customer. I've seen him on campus a couple of times. He's just like a regular student...just like Steve Walsh and Ken Dorsey. And we rate those two pretty high on the list, around these parts, bucko. ;)

Lamp Here
09-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Kate and Summerspring: I tell you what made me happy- BYU getting knocked off- I was getting tired of Max Hall Heisman talk.

What's BS is when they talk about how great Tebow is during someone else's game! I'll be watching Texas vs. Whoever and hear "just spend five minutes with the man [Tebow] and your life will be better for it." DARN you Tennessee!

Everyone else: Harris for heisman? Look peeps, he's played two games- both against then unranked opponents. Maybe he is on the level, but it's a little early dontcha think?

robeiae
09-27-2009, 01:11 AM
:(

It appears the rumors of Miami's revival may have been grossly exaggerated...mostly by me.

CEtchison
09-27-2009, 02:14 AM
Lamp.... it's looking like you should have made that Ore/Cal pick. Hee. I love turmoil in the Pac-10. They're overrated anyway. LOL Yeah... I said it!!

And ICAM about the Tebow lovefest. I liken it to A-Rod's agent conducting an interview during game four of the World Series.... when the Yankees were sitting at home.

Robeiae... hang it there. LOL

Lamp Here
09-27-2009, 06:17 AM
Summerspring: can you believe that Oregon/Cal score? OMG I heard Tebow got hurt; now I feel kinda bad. : (

Robeiae- it's okay; I've been watching college football since I was an infant and I learned one very important thing: gloat AFTER the game. : )

Wayne K
09-27-2009, 06:24 AM
Last week I picked Washington to beat USC. Tonight I picked USC to beat Ole Miss. I think I'm done predicting for a while.

Dare I pick Oregon to beat Cal?

I'm pushing it.
I really wish I knew a bookie.

Wayne K
09-27-2009, 06:25 AM
Sorry about Miami Rob. As much as I hate them, they're a great rival when they're great.

cscarlet
09-27-2009, 06:27 AM
So. freaking. ecstatic.

I don't even want to gloat, I just want to give

HOKIE HUGS TO EVERYONE!!! :D

That is all. :)

robeiae
09-27-2009, 06:30 AM
Sorry about Miami Rob. As much as I hate them, they're a great rival when they're great.
Not to worry. We're still happy with Randy Shannon. And let's face it: alumni like me have had it great. I started at UM in'84, right after the first National Championship. I've seen four since then, more "almost"s than I can immediately recall, and a couple periods of total domination. I can take some down time.

CEtchison
09-27-2009, 06:59 AM
I've been watching college football since I was an infant and I learned one very important thing: gloat AFTER the game. : )

This is exactly why I stay quiet. LOL

Tebow was pretty messed up. The knee to the back of the head snapped his neck in a weird way. I'm surprised the doctors waited until he started vomiting to take him away by ambulance.

I must admit my anti-Tebow rants continued through dinner with my hubster's family this evening. I told my FIL that I have very fond hopes for Tebow once he reaches the NFL. He thought I was hoping he'd be severely injured and have to retire early. I corrected him and told him I hope that Tebow's post collegiate career goes the same way as another former ESPN lovefest subject and Heisman trophy winner...... Matt Leinart. In other words, I want Tebow to become an overhyped pine rider. :evil

mscelina
09-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Ah...college football...where being ranked is tantamount to drinking the beverages at a Jim Jones hosted party...

What a great night when ALL three of the "big" Florida schools suffer a loss. :D

Hiya, Robovowels. I was thinking about you today for some reason.

You REALLY missed me, didn't you?

What a great weekend...

robeiae
09-27-2009, 03:36 PM
Ah...college football...where being ranked is tantamount to drinking the beverages at a Jim Jones hosted party...
Side note: my college fraternity threw a Jim Jones Punch Party every year. In the morning, our front yard would be littered with passed out people that we didn't know...

Haggis
09-27-2009, 04:42 PM
Side note: my college fraternity threw a Jim Jones Punch Party every year. In the morning, our front yard would be littered with passed out people that we didn't know...

This explains a lot.

robeiae
09-27-2009, 05:40 PM
This explains a lot.
As does noting that you were one of those people--three years in a row--despite being twice the age of everyone else...

Haggis
09-27-2009, 05:46 PM
As does noting that you were one of those people--three years in a row--despite being twice the age of everyone else...

Three times the age. And, dammit, the punch tastes good.

Michigan won. :hooray:

Sort of.

I don't think they'll be threatening any good teams this year.

robeiae
09-27-2009, 06:27 PM

Sort of.Man, you ain't kiddin. That has got to be one of the all time great blown calls. And they friggin' reviewed it and STILL blew it.

Dems da breaks.

The Lonely One
09-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Three times the age. And, dammit, the punch tastes good.

Sort of.

I don't think they'll be threatening any good teams this year.

Although I'm proud of the Wolvies whenever they win, and I've been impressed with Forcier and Robinson, Minor and a few others, I wasn't impressed by this game. I think Michigan could have won even without the bad call at the end, but let's be honest Indiana completely controlled the pace of that game.

Hopefully we'll beat stae because we need these games to prove we're somewhat back in the saddle. I know it's Tate's first year and yadda yadda but that's no excuse because he played his worst all season Saturday.

They'll get back in the swing of things, though. I hope.

The Lonely One
09-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Oh, and to all who doubt the USF program without Matt Grothe... (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/26/AR2009092602552.html)

Lamp Here
09-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Summerspring: Exactly. And really, who is to blame for the Tebow worship? Well, it's the sportswriter and commentator dudes. The fact is, they hate OU and Bob Stoops. I hate to throw blanket statements around like that, but you know it's true. The BYU/ OU game- it was a home game for OU and the commentators were calling it (cheering... ehem) for BYU. I noticed it. There are so many examples and sometimes I can't tell if it's OU or just the entire Big XII south in general.

Haggis
09-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Man, you ain't kiddin. That has got to be one of the all time great blown calls. And they friggin' reviewed it and STILL blew it.

Dems da breaks.

I dunno. I'm seeing three to four blown calls about every game I watch. It's a damn shame when they affect the outcome, but what are you gonna do?

~*Kate*~
09-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Summerspring: Exactly. And really, who is to blame for the Tebow worship? Well, it's the sportswriter and commentator dudes. The fact is, they hate OU and Bob Stoops. I hate to throw blanket statements around like that, but you know it's true. The BYU/ OU game- it was a home game for OU and the commentators were calling it (cheering... ehem) for BYU. I noticed it. There are so many examples and sometimes I can't tell if it's OU or just the entire Big XII south in general.

My dad's theory on this is it's b/c Stoops doesn't kiss the media's ass. I have to admit, he's not exactly nice to the halftime reporters.

robeiae
09-27-2009, 07:17 PM
I dunno. I'm seeing three to four blown calls about every game I watch. It's a damn shame when they affect the outcome, but what are you gonna do?
Oh, I agree. It is what it is. Miami was th victim of a couple, too...

But it cracks me up that the officials try to make it into such a science. The Michigan one was beyond silly. There's a friggin RULE--a very specific rule--that covers the situation. No amount of video analyzing is gonna change that. Both players had the ball. If either was not there, the other would have made the catch. And it was obvious in the replay, as well. There's no "well he had it better than him" in the rules. It's silly, in my view.

Course, I think the whole "measuring for a first down" is a joke, as well. The officials spot the ball BY EYE every play. Then, they're gonna measure for the first down to the inch or smaller?!?!? Use the friggin hash marks. Everyone can see 'em and that's what they're there for!

/rant

Sorry about that.

The Lonely One
09-27-2009, 08:17 PM
But it cracks me up that the officials try to make it into such a science. The Michigan one was beyond silly. There's a friggin RULE--a very specific rule--that covers the situation. No amount of video analyzing is gonna change that. Both players had the ball. If either was not there, the other would have made the catch. And it was obvious in the replay, as well. There's no "well he had it better than him" in the rules. It's silly, in my view.

Totally agree. Indiana's coach had every right to be pissed.

mscelina
09-27-2009, 08:24 PM
I think I was at that party with you guys, Rob and Haggis.

*glares*

It does explain a lot.

This season has been exciting and fun as far as college football goes because the average football fan is discovering exactly how stupid the pundits are. A top five Ole Miss team? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. No wait--Notre Dame in the BCS championship game? Of course. Between ESPN's coronation of Tebow for the Heisman and annunciation of Florida as the national champion six months before the BCS game, the networks are trying to drive the pace of the season to suit their ratings.

And they are LOSING. BWA! I freaking LOVE it.

I'm pushing for an undefeated Boise State to get their long overdue bid to the BCS championship game this year. If we're lucky, they'll get to play a 'surprise' team--how about, oh....Oregon? A rematch? Without the running back with anger management problems? After all, an Oregon team who can thrash a number 6 rated Cal team is on the fast track to the top of the Pac-10.

ESPN is unlikely to risk an SEC or Big Twelve team losing to Boise State again, after all.

The Lonely One
09-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Hey, this may be a dumb question, but can someone explain to me why a team would wear their home jerseys at an away game? And why the home team would wear their away jerseys?

Just curious. Something I noticed about USF and FSU (the game was in Tallahassee).

mscelina
09-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Color clash--the gold jerseys, perhaps?

robeiae
09-27-2009, 08:50 PM
The home team picks the jerseys. If the home team picks to wear away colors, the visitors have to wear home colors.

In this case, FSU thought it would be "cool" to do a white-out. It was cool, alright...

mscelina
09-27-2009, 08:52 PM
*snerk*

Did you see Bobby Bowden's post-game press conference? No whiny Urban Meyer excuses there...

The Lonely One
09-27-2009, 09:01 PM
*snerk*

Did you see Bobby Bowden's post-game press conference? No whiny Urban Meyer excuses there...

Post game? What post game? When USF took a final knee I went home with my wife and...celebrated...

Bobby Bowden wasn't invited.

mscelina
09-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Some of us follow college football for the money, not the love of the game.

I can go get that Macbook I've been thinking about. What a lovely day! Please, Vegas people--please keep putting lines on these games.

You can even make them bigger if it'll make you feel better. :D

Haggis
09-27-2009, 10:07 PM
You wouldn't be talking about engaging in illegal activities, would you?

The Lonely One
09-27-2009, 10:56 PM
What, when my wife and I celebrated the game? Maybe a little...

Haggis
09-27-2009, 11:31 PM
What, when my wife and I celebrated the game? Maybe a little...

Heh, no, I was talking about Celina and her fascination with over and under. :D

mscelina
09-28-2009, 03:35 AM
*evil grin*

No, sweetheart, I just walk the line...always just walk the line.

*goes off whistling to the ATM*

Lamp Here
09-28-2009, 09:06 AM
My dad's theory on this is it's b/c Stoops doesn't kiss the media's ass. I have to admit, he's not exactly nice to the halftime reporters.

Yeah, that, and layover from the evil Switzer days. They hate Gundy too, but we know the story on that. Personally, I'm with Gundy. He had a point, they're just students, playing a game and the media goes over the line in their attacks.

The Lonely One
10-02-2009, 12:54 AM
Okay everyone it's Thursday. Watcha watchin?

mscelina
10-02-2009, 12:59 AM
Colorado at West Virginia, duh.

Should be a monumentally boring game. An even better question would be: which top ten teams are going to lose to unheralded opponents this week?

Wayne K
10-02-2009, 05:00 PM
I don't see any huge upsets this weekend, but I like Georgia over LSU. If my streak is over, it's over in the SEC.

CEtchison
10-02-2009, 07:52 PM
The 'Canes and the Sooners are playing in primetime tomorrow night!! Whoot!! We'll be firing up the grill and icing down the beer.

I'm really looking forward to a good game. It should be interesting to see how we do with Landry Jones at QB and whether or not our defense is strong enough.

How you feeling about it robeiae?

mscelina
10-02-2009, 08:02 PM
*snerk*

I'm not sure who to pull for in that game. They both already lost.

The Lonely One
10-03-2009, 03:10 AM
Well I know everyone hates big 10 but Wolvies/Spartans is on tomorrow.

I'm excited about that one.

mscelina
10-03-2009, 03:30 AM
I can't hate the Big Ten. My husband is an Ohio State alum.

But there's no need to get excited about games in that state up north. :D

Haggis
10-03-2009, 04:27 AM
I can't hate the Big Ten. My husband is an Ohio State alum.

But there's no need to get excited about games in that state up north. :D

*considers stepping on Celina's avatar but doesn't want to have to wipe the Ohio off his shoe*

mscelina
10-03-2009, 04:28 AM
There's no Ohio on my avatar. Tennessee all the way, baby.

Feel free to step on my husband's avatar though and stomp all that icky Ohio crap away.

Wayne K
10-03-2009, 04:31 AM
The Big Ten has eleven teams. I did not know that.

mscelina
10-03-2009, 04:39 AM
Heh. It's hard for Yankees to count. That and the Big Eleven just doesn't have the same punch.

Haggis
10-03-2009, 05:24 AM
The Big Ten has eleven teams. I did not know that.

Yeah. Bummer, that.

Ohio State was in charge of keeping track of the number the year Penn State was admitted. Apparently, they couldn't find an academic scholarship student who could count past ten.

mscelina
10-03-2009, 05:26 AM
And of course, the University of Michigan had trouble after that. They had a chance to fix the problem, but they relied upon Lloyd Carr's coaching staff which, as usual, showed up for every game but one.

hence the ten instead of eleven.

Haggis, it's too early for us to start this up isn't it? :D

Haggis
10-03-2009, 05:30 AM
It's never too early, and you know it. :roll:

mscelina
10-03-2009, 05:32 AM
True...true...heck, if I can't torture you who can I torture?

:evil

The Lonely One
10-03-2009, 05:59 AM
Any predictions on Pitt Louisville?

mscelina
10-03-2009, 06:04 AM
Pitt's trying to give the game away. I'm thinking Lousiville ekes out a win at the end.

The Lonely One
10-03-2009, 06:49 AM
Pitt's trying to give the game away. I'm thinking Lousiville ekes out a win at the end.

You may have spoken too soon :)

mscelina
10-03-2009, 06:55 AM
Yep. That's what I get for (a) watching a Big East game; (b) saying something positive about a Kentucky team and (c) making a prediction in the third quarter and hitting send scant seconds before a turnover.

Darn Louisville anyway.

Oh well, that's okay. I'm more interested in several of my picks for tomorrow: Miami over Oklahoma, Georgia over LSU, Tennessee over Auburn, Michigan State over Michigan, Washington over Notre Dame and Ohio State over Indiana (go against the spread!!!)

I want the only undefeated team at the end of the year to be Boise State and all of the other already annointed 'contenders' to have two losses each.

The Lonely One
10-03-2009, 07:01 AM
Those are sound choices (except of course I have to go with Michigan on the rivalry game). I don't care who wins Pitt/L'ville. USF plays both in BE games.

Jesus did they just score AGAIN???

mscelina
10-03-2009, 07:02 AM
They did.

I have a soft spot for South Florida. A dear, dear friend of mine from high school is on the faculty down there.

The Lonely One
10-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Sweet! I hope Syracuse has some more soft spots for them. Go Bulls!

mscelina
10-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Sweet! I hope Syracuse has some more soft spots for them. Go Bulls!

Pretty much the whole offensive line is a soft spot for Syracuse as I recollect.

mscelina
10-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Oh, Haggis? Are you watching the end of the Michigan-Michigan State game?

less than a minute at the MSU 24 yard line

mscelina
10-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Thirty seconds. Third and ten.

mscelina
10-03-2009, 11:01 PM
What a brilliant move by the Michigan quarterback. Forcier is going to be awesome. First and ten from the fourteen and maybe two shots at the end zone. Possibly three. Twenty one seconds left. Time out, Michigan State.

mscelina
10-03-2009, 11:03 PM
Fourteen seconds left. MSU's secondary was way too tight. Second and ten.

mscelina
10-03-2009, 11:03 PM
Holy crap! Fumble, wild throw, deflected, dropped. Third and nine. Last shot. Eight seconds.

mscelina
10-03-2009, 11:04 PM
TOUCHDOWN MICHIGAN!

Forcier is only going to get better. What a hell of a drive! now the extra point and overtime...

mscelina
10-03-2009, 11:11 PM
I love overtime. Those were incredible stats for Forcier in the last drive. 39 passing; 38 yards rushing. He ran that two minute drill like a pro...a PRO, I tell you. I am all impressed and stuff.

And now...overtime. Ready?

mscelina
10-03-2009, 11:13 PM
What the---?

A few minutes ago, it was pouring down rain. Now the sun is shining? Wow.

mscelina
10-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Oh noes!!!!

Forcier's brilliance just dissolved into a freshman moment in the end zone. Dear oh dear. Still, the kid is going to be an incredible quarterback. Definitely one to watch.

Wayne K
10-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Oh noes!!!!

Forcier's brilliance just dissolved into a freshman moment in the end zone. Dear oh dear. Still, the kid is going to be an incredible quarterback. Definitely one to watch.
Please keep posting. You're faster than any source I have. I question the sense of giving the east coast Alabama Kentucky while this game was scheduled.

mscelina
10-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Well, it's over. Michigan lost. I was actually sort of pulling for them at the end--I like freshman quarterbacks who play their little hearts out.

Now I'm switching to LSU-Georgia and Penn State-Illinois...unless there's another game you'd like to read about? *grin*

BTW, I was the stadium announcer for all the area high school football games when I was in high school. Then I worked for the SID at the University of Tennessee and did some color calling on the radio. Football is my life from mid-August until the Super Bowl.

Haggis
10-04-2009, 12:36 AM
*sigh*

Yeah, I saw it, Celina. The kid's good but he's not there yet. Like you say, Freshman mistakes. And, in fairness, a lot of dropped balls too.

And, to be a good a sport about it (which is so unlike me), State played well (until they froze up the last couple of minutes of regulation).

This is not Michigan's year. Next year, maybe. The following year, for sure, or there'll be another coach on the horizon.

mscelina
10-04-2009, 12:39 AM
Very true, Haggis. You can't really blame a freshman who put the team on his back and gave them a chance to make it into overtime. MSU did play well, but for some reason they are NEVER prepared for the two minute offense. Not sure why.

And Rodriguez? Well, you know how I feel about him. Any coach who would desert his team before their bowl game b/c he got hired at a higher profile university gets the stink-eye from me.

mscelina
10-04-2009, 02:03 AM
:e2cry:

My cable...where did it go....

Haggis
10-04-2009, 02:04 AM

My cable...where did it go....

This doesn't bode well.

mscelina
10-04-2009, 02:09 AM
...but...but...but...

Excuse me. I have to call my satellite provider. There's about to be a big ol' Rocky Top orange can of Tennessee whoop-ass let loose on some unsuspecting service coordinator in Ohio. No ESPN? On Saturday?

Blasphemy!

I bet this is the Big Ten network's fault. The Ohio State-Indiana crap...erm...game is on it tonight instead of the SEC Network...erm...ESPN.

Someone will pay.

Haggis
10-04-2009, 02:13 AM
While we're waiting for your cable to come back on, let's discuss John Cooper's record against Michigan.

mscelina
10-04-2009, 02:18 AM

No problem. Cooper, the greatest recruiter and three quarter coach in college football. Unfortunately, the only quarter he couldn't coach was the fourth. But dang--what a recruiter.

Okay, we can now discuss Lloyd Carr's record against a Jim Tressel led Ohio State--or, for even more fun, let's discuss that 1998 Ohio State team that might have played (and lost) to the University of Tennessee in the first BCS game. You know the one--they gave the game away to Michigan State in the last three minutes and screwed themselves out of a national title shot?

People really hate me around here sometimes. All I have to do is mention 'cleets' and 'Tennessee' in the same sentence and they're off.

*on hold with the satellite company. I am not pleased*

Haggis
10-04-2009, 02:25 AM
I remember that game. And O How I Hate Ohio State didn't even have Maurice Clarett then.

But, you know, I miss the Bo and Woody days the most.

mscelina
10-04-2009, 02:28 AM
Bo and Woody? Now THERE was a rivalry! See, those were the great days of college football, IMO--when pride in your school was more important than your eventual endorsement dollars. Schembechler was a class act; Hayes not so much, but still...wow. Those days were great fun, weren't they?

mscelina
10-04-2009, 02:30 AM
Aha! There it is--back on.

Wonder if LSU is going to be able to pull this out?

mscelina
10-04-2009, 02:46 AM
GET READY--barring a miracle, another top five team is about to go down! Mwahahahahaha!

mscelina
10-04-2009, 02:51 AM
And the miracle that might make it possible? Excessive celebration. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Now all LSU has to do is get into field goal range and kick it through. In 1:09. And it's first and ten on the Georgia 37.l

Dumb dumb dumb.

mscelina
10-04-2009, 02:56 AM
And because LSU is equally as dumb, dumb, dumb they didn't learn from the Georgia celebration call and now Georgia will have a shot with forty-six seconds left to come back and win the game.

Ridiculous. All of these kids should be running lots of laps on Monday.

mscelina
10-04-2009, 03:02 AM
Well, poot. LSU won. Ah well--that should make next week's Florida/LSU matchup even more interesting than it would have been.

Time to get mentally ready for Tennessee-Auburn now. Man, I wish we had a quarterback.

mscelina
10-04-2009, 03:16 AM
Come one WASHINGTON! Beat Notre Dame!

And why do they keep calling timeout to 'ice' the kicker? There hasn't been a real 'iced' kicker for about thirty years. It's not like this is new to them or anything. Dang.

mscelina
10-04-2009, 03:20 AM
....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand another overtime game.

And the Buckeyes are starting to get cranked up against Indiana. I don't think that's going to be as easy a game as some Buckeye fans think.

~*Kate*~
10-04-2009, 04:21 AM
Holy shit, Arkansas has scored twice. *falls over dead*

Oh great, now my husband is teaching my child to call the Hogs. Excuse me, I need to call DHS.

The Lonely One
10-04-2009, 04:26 AM
Oh noes!!!!

Thanks for letting me relive the end of that game over and over through the moment-to-moment replay :)

I think Tate Forcier took the term "two-minute game" too seriously; he thought he wasn't supposed to try until two minutes left in the game.

Le sigh. At least it turned into a football game at the end. And Cuse lost.

Wayne K
10-04-2009, 04:39 AM
I fell asleep halfway trough the Georgia LSU game. I would blame the Georgia offense if they were ever on the field.

mscelina
10-04-2009, 04:41 AM
They were on the field long enough to get flagged for excessive celebration and give the game to LSU.

Wayne K
10-04-2009, 04:44 AM
I stand corrected.

mscelina
10-04-2009, 04:53 AM
Betcha there's going to be some kids running some SERIOUS laps on Monday.

Wayne K
10-04-2009, 04:55 AM
I'm going to go watch Miami Oklahoma, for some reason I'm rooting for Miami.

mscelina
10-04-2009, 04:58 AM
For some reason, I am too. That's unusual for me.

~*Kate*~
10-04-2009, 05:18 AM
I'm going to go watch Miami Oklahoma, for some reason I'm rooting for Miami.

For some reason, I am too. That's unusual for me.

boooooooooooooo.

mscelina
10-04-2009, 05:19 AM
boooooooooooooo.

Yeah. At this moment I kind of want to boo myself. Unfortunately, I made a *non-monetary* wager on the game, so Miami it is.

Wayne K
10-04-2009, 05:25 AM
I don't think I've ever been booed before.

mscelina
10-04-2009, 05:27 AM
God knows I have. Never in a show, thank God, but once during a debate in college I got my opponent so flustered she started to cry. I poked just a little bit of fun at her and her teammates booed me.

It was awesome. :D

~*Kate*~
10-04-2009, 05:28 AM
I don't think I've ever been booed before.

I've been trying to think of a "boo virgin" joke for about five minutes now with no luck.

Wayne K
10-04-2009, 05:30 AM
Me too.

Wayne K
10-04-2009, 05:31 AM
I told a good one about the Georgia offense earlier.

mscelina
10-04-2009, 06:53 AM
At least Georgia has an offense. If Tennessee manages to find a quarterback before I die, I won't know how to handle it.

Wayne K
10-04-2009, 07:18 AM
I like the Miami coach. they spoke about his background and how he cleaned up the gun problem and the illegal crap. I respect what he's done.

mscelina
10-04-2009, 07:25 AM
Yes, I like Randy Shannon. I hadn't heard that story before tonight, but I did know he's cleaned that once rotten to the core program up. And also, apparently, he's one heck of a coach.

CEtchison
10-04-2009, 07:45 AM
Shannon is a good coach. He was a good player, too.

Looks as if the Sooners long season is going to continue, especially when starters continue to drop like flies. *sigh* Oh well. I won't complain too much since I went to school during the Gibbs era. Which wasn't as bad as the Schnellenberger season. Or the John Blake era. LOL

Wayne K
10-04-2009, 07:50 AM
Here's how I see this season shaping up. Boise State goes undefeated and there are at least two one loss teams that people will rather see paly each other for the championship.

Whatever way it happens, if it happens--I think it will be hard for them to leave the number one team in the country out of the game.

Wayne K
10-04-2009, 07:51 AM
Florida will lose one. They always do.

mscelina
10-04-2009, 07:51 AM
That's why I'm hoping for there to be NO one-loss teams. An undefeated Boise State and all the rest of them two-loss teams would force the BCS' hand I'm thinking--especially since Boise's one power win over Oregon has gained such point strength over the last couple of weeks.

mscelina
10-04-2009, 07:52 AM
Florida will lose one. They always do.

Florida may lose two. I'm thinking...erm...South Carolina will beat them and Alabama.

LSU has a shot to do it next week, but I'm not going to bet on it.

Wayne K
10-04-2009, 07:53 AM
Oklahoma will beat Texas.

Wayne K
10-04-2009, 07:54 AM
Alabama will lose the SEC championship game.

mscelina
10-04-2009, 07:54 AM
That's what I'm thinking too. The only fly in my ointment is: who's going to beat Alabama????

Wayne K
10-04-2009, 07:55 AM
LSU is going to lose one too. The SEC is a tough place to go undefeated.

mscelina
Alabama will lose the SEC championship game.

Nah. They'll beat Florida in the national championship SEC championship.

Wayne K
Auburn looked good

Wayne K
10-04-2009, 07:56 AM
I don't know Alabama's schedule, but like I said, the SEC is a tough place to go undefeated.

mscelina
10-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Auburn looked good

:Wha:

Wayne K
10-04-2009, 08:00 AM
I only saw a few plays, was it the highlight of the game?

tlblack
10-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Well all can say is ROLL TIDE and WAR EAGLE. LSU players were getting sick on the field; Georgia can wear black to every Bama game if they choose to (remembering last season); I think Tennessee forgot they were playing football and not tiddly winks until it was too late to do anything about it; Florida got the week off so Tebow should feel better next weekend, maybe; and aside from having a cold with really black, puffy eyes, I babysat the kids animals tonight and now I'm itching. I think I got fleas. It was a good day to sit around and watch football. Now I need a flea bath and some decongestants.

~*Kate*~
10-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Oklahoma will beat Texas.

WIN. LOCK THREAD.

Seriously, though, blah. What a game tonight. At least the Hogs won.