Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Hurray! Everyone ready?

IT'S FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!!!!!!!!

:TheWave:

and for all of you...lesser...peeps as well, I suppose. As a die-hard UT alumna, this is my favorite time of year. I LURVE college football. I watch any game that is on TV if I can. And this week, our patience and suffering pays off.

It's college football time.

:e2woo::e2cheer::e2woo::e2cheer:

Sooooooooo....knowing for a fact that there are others who share my obsession (and in Haggis' case, feeble hopes) let's start talkin'! Any and all college football. Serious conversations about games and/or players or smack talking about 'that other team' or a big game.

*grin*

And lots of reverence for the nation's beloved Appalachian State.

Are you ready for some football?

:e2teeth:

I am.

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
My Alumni team are the AZTECS, and I am not sure they know how to play football.

althrasher

Prodigal Muser
Registered
Reaction score
GOOOOOO APPALACHAIN!!!

I hope, hope hope we beat LSU...roar.

SIX DAYS!!!!!!!

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Ed, you're such a conversation stopper sometimes. *grin* I'm sure the Packers will be just fine.

*snicker*

Aztecs? Which ones? That's what--San Diego State?

And YES althrasher! GO APP STATE! I used to go to debate tournaments there and it was the scariest drive ever--straight up a two-lane mountainside road--with rain at the bottom of the mountain and snow in Boone, NC at top. I've got last year's App State-Michigan game TIVOed and will watch it again this week. *grin* When they beat Michigan, the folks in the bar I worked at gave a cheer that was three times as loud as any they'd emitted during the Ohio State game that preceded it. It was major fun!

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I, too, want Appalachian State to do well against LSU. However, I fear this major team will not take them lightly (the coaches should do their homework). Here's hoping App State will play it tough and put some stank on LSU. It's just good for college football.

And the other ASU (Arizona State--my former institution) has a fairly early date with the preseason #1 team in the nation. It should be a good game.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
5 days to go!

You don't even know excitement until you are cheering with 110,000 of your closest friends :D Even if it is against Coastal Carolina...

penn%20state.jpg

althrasher

Prodigal Muser
Registered
Reaction score
I was AT the Michigan game (hooray Marching Band!) It was ridiculously awesome.

Have you seen any of the Youtube videos of the Ohio state fans under the bleachers after THEIR game? It's hilarious. They were all jumping up and down and screaming when we blocked the kick.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For Ed--may the Raiders return to their former stature. Maybe then they'll win a few games as well (although I love them no matter what). Silver and black.

Tink

Just soaking up some R&R...
Registered
Reaction score
I only watch professional.

And I don't discuss it with anyone.

Ever.

And I watch it in private.

Any negative comments about my team are dealt with quickly and severely.
How did the Jets do in their pre-season game the other night? I missed it... :D

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hook 'em Horns...

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Sara, I completely understand. College football gets into your blood when you're sitting in Neyland Stadium with 110,000 some odd drunk rednecks screaming Rocky Top at the tops of their lungs.

Like this:

tennvols_Fireworks.jpg

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
GO VOLS!
GO Mountaineers ! (I was just in Boone a week ago, they're ready for football!)

Last edited:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Did you all know we have a Sports and Fitness forum? The place doesn't get much love 'cause most of the threads that belong there end up in Office Party.

One of our cherished and most esteemed members (Silver King :D) came up with the idea of a sports-related forum so fans could have their own place to gather and shoot the breeze. The forum was created with writing in mind but is also open to general discussions that deal with all manner of topics related to sports.

So shouldn't threads like this one be started in that forum instead?

My finger is hovering over the Move Thread option, but I'd like to hear what others have to say first. So lay it on me. :)

Bayou Bill

AW Ne'er-Do-Well
Registered
Reaction score
Down so low in Austin, bottom looks like up.
Website
billsbilge.blogspot.com
As has been noted, the 2008 college football season kicks off this weekend. Since the alternate sports choices are NFL exhibition games and baseball, that's a goodness.

I pull for three teams and their conferences: LSU/SEC, La. Tech/WAC, Grambling/SWAC.

Here are some of the games that will be on the tube in the Texas area that interest me.

THURSDAY

Baylor vs Wake Forest (Battlin' Baptists go head-to-head) 7:00 pm FSN

FRIDAY

Rice vs SMU (first game for new SMU h/c June Jones) 7:00 pm ESPN

SATURDAY

LSU vs Appalachian St. (last year's I-A champs and I-AA champs meet in BR) 4:00 pm ESPN

La Tech vs Miss St. (first visit by an SEC team to Tech) 5:45 pm ESPN2

SUNDAY

Kentucky vs Louisville (in-state bragging rights and some sort of trophy) 2:30 pm ESPN

MONDAY

Tenn vs UCLA (the Vols need this one, big time) 7:00 pm ESPN

There are some interesting games that probably won't make it to the tube including Jacksonville St vs Georgia Tech. I'm betting the Yellow Jackets offered I-AA J-St. a bunch of money to play the role of sacrificial lamb in Atlanta BEFORE Ryan Perrilloux was kicked off the LSU team and transfered to Jacksonville. Odds are the Jackets will still win, but it could be a very interesting game now, especially if GT turns over the ball a few times while trying to run its new triple-option offense.

Another game that should be interesting is Utah vs Michigan. Last year Michigan lost its season operner to I-AA Appalachian St. at Ann Arbor. This year they open, at home again, this time against a Utah club that went 9-4 last year, has 9 starters back on offense and should challenge BYU for the Mt. West title. Wonder what the mood in Ann Arbor would be like if the Wolverines lost two straight home openers?

Memphis vs Mississippi: In theory, the Tigers, who finished strong last season and went to a bowl, should have little trouble with the Rebs, who didn't. But it'll be Houston Nutt's first game as h/c in Oxford so it'll be interesting to see how the team responds to him.

Bayou Bill
:cool:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
GOOOOOO APPALACHAIN!!!

I hope, hope hope we beat LSU...roar.

SIX DAYS!!!!!!!

Appalachain? Never heard of them.

I've got last year's App State-Michigan game TIVOed and will watch it again this week. *grin* When they beat Michigan, the folks in the bar I worked at gave a cheer that was three times as loud as any they'd emitted during the Ohio State game that preceded it. It was major fun!

I hate you.