PDA

View Full Version : Grr...job! I can haz one?

Siddow
08-25-2008, 08:20 PM
How frustrating.

My youngest is now enrolled in preschool. I need a job. Yeah, sure, sitting at home in front of the computer composing my Masterpieces (which, oddly enough, rarely sell :)) sounds wonderful, but my brain is seriously fried from all the years of mommying and I need some adult interaction to get me going again.

Funny thing, though, that businesses do not seem to think very much of my skillset. I'm having trouble even getting people to agree to interview me! (this is me being over dramatic. I have been making calls and sending emails since 8am this morning and NOBODY HAS CALLED BACK!) (dies)

My husband says I need to put together a resume and send it out. Sounds great, perfect! But, um, what do I put on it? I was a bartender for crying out loud! I would jump at the chance to get a day-bar job in my town, but around here, you have to wait for someone to die before something like that opens up.

So, what should I put on my resume?

Or should I just go to school? There's a relatively inexpensive community college nearby where I could train to be a paralegal, which sounds awesome for the writing.

BenPanced
08-25-2008, 08:48 PM
I'd say go back to school. If it's an area you're interested in and you're certain you can fit it into your schedule and budget, do it.

But I'd leave the head gear home. Just in case, y'know...

Cranky
08-25-2008, 08:51 PM
School would be a good choice. But have you done any volunteer work? You can add that, I believe.

My SIL runs a MOPS group through her church, and I know that is something she could put on her resume if/when she decides to go back to work. Just a thought.

Cassiopeia
08-25-2008, 09:04 PM
How frustrating.

My youngest is now enrolled in preschool. I need a job. Yeah, sure, sitting at home in front of the computer composing my Masterpieces (which, oddly enough, rarely sell :)) sounds wonderful, but my brain is seriously fried from all the years of mommying and I need some adult interaction to get me going again.

Funny thing, though, that businesses do not seem to think very much of my skillset. I'm having trouble even getting people to agree to interview me! (this is me being over dramatic. I have been making calls and sending emails since 8am this morning and NOBODY HAS CALLED BACK!) (dies)

My husband says I need to put together a resume and send it out. Sounds great, perfect! But, um, what do I put on it? I was a bartender for crying out loud! I would jump at the chance to get a day-bar job in my town, but around here, you have to wait for someone to die before something like that opens up.

Or should I just go to school? There's a relatively inexpensive community college nearby where I could train to be a paralegal, which sounds awesome for the writing.
You are not being overdramatic. Welcome to the new age of not returning calls, internet applications and I'm in the same boat and I have a truck load of HR experience.

I can't use my last job as a reference, they let me go without reason or notice. I was there only 9 weeks and prior to that I was my own boss for 15 years. So people think I won't be a good employee when I was the boss or they tell me, they are concerned that I will leave for the better offer they are sure will come my way! Gee thanks guys, I need a job now. Ya KNOW?

WendyNYC
08-25-2008, 09:06 PM
I agree about putting volunteer work on your resume, especially if you have run any sort of fundraiser. Otherwise, back to school sounds good. Some of my formerly SAHM friends went back and got various degrees (Occupational Therapist seems to be a popular choice for some reason). If the real estate market were better, I'd suggest that because you seem outgoing--at least you do online.

Cassiopeia
08-25-2008, 09:08 PM
I should mention that I am in school and loving it. It is the one thing that makes me feel useful.

And yes, volunteer work should be on your resume. :)

Williebee
08-25-2008, 09:10 PM
If you can afford to go back to school, do it.

You'll get the adult (ok, somewhat) interaction you want, and the social contacts you need to find the next gig.

Other than that, I'd contact the local temp services.

Oh, and, on the bartending front, don't forget to contact the local veteran's clubs.

Good Luck!

Cassiopeia
08-25-2008, 09:11 PM
I am going to school on a Pell Grant and Stafford Student Loan. It doesn't pay for much other than school and a bit extra but HEY! I am doing it. :)

Robert Toy
08-25-2008, 09:17 PM
How frustrating.

You could tell them you are a PhD, Theoretical Physicist who is burned out on investigating areas without thought to practical application, and with concepts such as the nature of time and the origin of the universe. Mixing drinks is reality.

nerds
08-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Go to school if you can. It's always been true that when people step out of the workforce to be at home the world they step back into has changed, but never moreso than now. So many skillsets are irrelevant and/or obsolete now.

I also agree that volunteer work should be included in resumes.

Beach Bunny
08-25-2008, 10:16 PM
In addition to school and volunteer work, you might also consider joining a social club. Something that suits your interests or hobbies, like a gardening club or something like that. It will get you out of the house and interacting with adult humans. :)

Siddow
08-25-2008, 10:31 PM
School it is! Well, starting with the Spring quarter. I missed the deadline to start this fall.

Meanwhile...I have an interview on Thursday for an admin position, talked with a small business owner who may be looking for a p/t bookkeeper, and I went out to lunch, where I did not have to cut up anybody's food! yeah!

Cassiopeia
08-25-2008, 10:57 PM
School it is! Well, starting with the Spring quarter. I missed the deadline to start this fall.

Meanwhile...I have an interview on Thursday for an admin position, talked with a small business owner who may be looking for a p/t bookkeeper, and I went out to lunch, where I did not have to cut up anybody's food! yeah!It's too late? My college just started last wednesday. I'd make sure you can't add. I hope you get the job. It'd be great for you. :)

Siddow
08-25-2008, 11:11 PM
It's too late? My college just started last wednesday. I'd make sure you can't add. I hope you get the job. It'd be great for you. :)

Our classes started August 18th. No worries, Spring is actually January (lol! Right!) so it's not that far off.

Thanks for the hope! *slips into daydreams of non-cyber people*

*hopes they don't smell*

:)

Siddow
08-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Oh, and, on the bartending front, don't forget to contact the local veteran's clubs.

Good Luck!

VETERANS?

lol...when I think "lucrative day bar", I think "19th hole". :D

regdog
08-25-2008, 11:26 PM
This won't be much help but it might give you laugh

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/58b16557.jpg

Cassiopeia
08-25-2008, 11:47 PM
Our classes started August 18th. No worries, Spring is actually January (lol! Right!) so it's not that far off.

*hopes they don't smell*

:)But honestly, people add up to two weeks after the semester starts. :)

Shadow_Ferret
08-26-2008, 12:00 AM
but my brain is seriously fried from all the years of mommying and I need some adult interaction to get me going again.

Ooooooooooh. I see. That's why you're the way you are. Now I understand. I'll try to be more understanding now.

Clair Dickson
08-26-2008, 12:07 AM
Volunteer work might be a real cheap way to get good 'work skills' back on your resume. Just an idea, but schooling is good too. You can always take classess just a few at a time (Hubby only ever took two classes a semester.) I never found it to be that great for adult interactive, but that may be more because I was there to learn (and only learn) and, well, maybe because I'm one of the biggest wallflowers in the garden.

NeuroFizz
08-26-2008, 12:14 AM
It sounds like you have the luxury of trying a few things out to see what resonates with you. Take advantage of that. One way to try out several things in a short period of time is the school route. The first two years of college are consumed with "general studies requirements" which means you'll have to take classes in a balanced and diverse set of academic areas (unless you enroll in some kind of directed two-year terminal program). If you go the general studies route, soak up all you can and remember that "I will never do that again" is one of the most valuable things we get out of our experiences, academic or otherwise, because it narrows our search for what we want to do.

maestrowork
08-26-2008, 12:22 AM
I'd say go back to school and/or start with a lower position: assistant, clerk, receptionist, intern, etc. and work your way up.

benbradley
08-26-2008, 01:47 AM
Hi Siddow, I know you've got a lot on the ball, you told me all about the net.research you did for your Nano novel! I really think you should write up what all you did for research, at least if you think your "research object(s)" won't find you out: :D

*hopes they don't smell*

:)
Speaking of hope, in Georgia there's the Hope Scholarship, which (unlike what I've heard about other states where lottery income goes straight into the general fund despite political promises otherwise), actually pays for college (and other education things like "Pre-k", maybe you already know something about that!) from the Georgia Lottery income. I don't know the details, it may be a pay-you-after-you-pass-the-class sort of thing. Last I heard about it, it was "so successful" and so many people were going to college off of it that they were talking about cutting it down to where it only pays for your first three years of college, but that's still a hell of a deal. There may be limitations on who qualifies, but it's worth looking into.

Oh, and remember that printer you checked out for another AW poster last March? He posted back in that thread later and was having problems, so you might want to think twice if you were looking for a job there:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2158061

Yeshanu
08-26-2008, 03:02 AM
I'd say go back to school and/or start with a lower position: assistant, clerk, receptionist, intern, etc. and work your way up.

I'm with Ray on that. I did both, really. Went the school route for a number of years, and loved it. Didn't find a job in my field, though. What I did find was a low-paying job shilling popcorn in a theatre. I loved that too. Two years and a bit later, and I'm a manager, and I'll be applying for a huge promotion (to District Training Co-ordinator) tomorrow. Not only does it pay much better than popcorn selling, it's actually a position that will use some of my education!

Siddow
08-27-2008, 07:11 PM
I still can't believe it.

My very first interview in over a decade, and I land a super job as an advertising sales rep for an established directory publishing company.

Pinch me.

I get to use my people skills and my persuasive personality every freaking day. For money!

Shadow_Ferret
08-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Just take the melon off your head, OK?

Robert Toy
08-27-2008, 07:17 PM
I still can't believe it.

My very first interview in over a decade, and I land a super job as an advertising sales rep for an established directory publishing company.

Pinch me.

I get to use my people skills and my persuasive personality every freaking day. For money!
Super! Congrats