PDA

View Full Version : Book Laminate peels off

buttterflywilma
08-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Hello,

I'm fed up with it, the laminate of all my published books seem to always
peel as time passes by.

To me this looks very unprofessional and cheap.

What can I do about this?

I've already emailed my POD-publisher about it.

BrokenSword
09-03-2008, 07:31 AM
I can sympathize, BfW. I can't help but can relate my situation. I was dealing with Axess printing solutions for nearly two months. In that interim, I received two proofs, both of which are now peeling also, and I hardly handled them. So, I think the idea would be to deal with printers/POD houses that react quickly and with integrity with regard any aspect of your order. For me, it was just one sign I was dealing with someone who didn't really care. The peeling came after my trouble started with Axess, but just knowing I'm now past them makes for better sleeping at night.

I wish you luck with this and hope you get the dispute reconciled. I know for me, using a cc really helped. I had communication problems with what I needed from Axess and when communications proved lost, I called my cc company and complained. Since Axess had half the order money already (according to their website), and I had two bad proofs, I told them I did not receive what was promised and they credited my account and started the process that put the burden of proof on Axess. Maybe this can be your solution too.

Michael

buttterflywilma
09-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Thanks for your reply!

I don't have a cc company. I still don't have a real solution. Maybe i'll pay the printer a visit to see how they laminate.

cpickett
09-25-2008, 06:59 PM
I don't think there's a way to fix the problem with the current books. One option would be to call a local printing company who uses lamination and see if they can give you any advice.

I don't know which POD company you're using, but it sounds like it might be one that does their own printing in house? Also, I've read this complaint about Booksurge/Amazon and I'm guessing it will take a bit of effort to get through to someone there.

Either way, if you want to check with other POD companies for the future, you may want to find out if they use Lightening Source as their printer because a lot of them do, and I haven't read too many complaints for that specific problem with those. If by chance it is LS, you should be able to call them directly as anyone can have an account with them, so I'd think they'd be more readily available to work with you.

Hope that helps.

buttterflywilma
10-21-2008, 06:53 AM
Hi Cpickett,

The POD service said that the laminate sticks better on light colors like white. My book is red. (First it was white and that one also peels).

So there are 2 solutions;

either I make a new light cover or they can make 500 covers through offset instead of POD printing.

cpickett
10-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Hmmmm,
Something just doesn't sound right. I'm no print expert, but I've never heard nor read anything like that, that laminate works better on one color vs another. If you think about all the books on the shelves, all the laminated biz cards, signs etc. it just doesn't make sense. Also, the choice of 500 on offset defeats what I would guess was your intent in going POD, to not have a lot of inventory and the cost that goes with it.

If you like your cover the way it is, I'd still check with other printers, or another POD if that's your preference. I'm aware of several people who've had good luck with Outskirts and I'm sure they could at least give you a straight answer about the lamination situation at Booklocker.

Unfortunately, it might be one of those times where you have to cut your losses and move forward to a better solution, rather than trying to make the current one work.

dittoprinter
10-23-2008, 11:01 PM
The problem exists for a lot of short run covers since they are printed via a laser system. There are a couple of color print systems that don't use oil during the fusing process, most however do. Three types of printing is most common:

1) Traditional offset press - no laminating problems since there is no oil being used. But, you do need to do 500+ to make it worth while.

2) Digital offset - no laminating problems since it too is an offset process. Machines are very expensive (quarter million on up) and generally the owner dies not like to stop a large run to do 20 or 30, let alone 1 or 2.

3) Digital press - also digital print, laser,etc. - Depending on the machine most use a fuser oil during the fusing process. The more oil being used the more likely the laminate will peel off. This is what is used on most POD, short run, etc. that you will see.

As for one color being more problematic than another with short run digital printing, this is true. White means that there is no toner build and you are laminating directly to the paper. Generally, the darker the color the more toner buildup you are going to have. In a system that uses oil during the fusing process the more residual oil there will be when the print process is complete.

When we are printing covers we use a KM system that uses a minimal amount of oil in the process. What we have found is that when we let the covers sit for a while, say a couple of days, they will fuse better than pulling them out of the printer and then laminating shortly thereafter. After binding we sometimes see the laminate pull away fron the trimmed edge in high build areas. We follow it up with a heat press that bonds the laminate to the material and the material to the cover.

Now you know.

My 2 worth......

cpickett
10-24-2008, 01:58 AM
Thanks Dittoprinter,
Good to know for future reference :-)

buttterflywilma
10-28-2008, 05:01 PM
thank you very much, that was very informative dittoprinter.

I'm not going to do offset because i change my covers frequently but i will show them your info.