DELTA AIR LINES, INC.
P.O. Box 20706
Atlanta, Georgia 30320-6001

To: Richard Anderson - CEO
Edward Bastian - CFO
Glen Hauenstein –EVP, Network and Revenue Management

Subject: Excessive Fuel Costs / Extra Charges for Checked Baggage

Gentlemen,

This is to confirm my contribution of fifty U.S. Dollars towards the Delta Air Lines “Save the Executives’ From Themselves Fund”.

Despite the June 2008 quarter, whereby Delta hedged 49% of its fuel consumption resulting in an average fuel price of $3.13 per gallon, and subsequently realized $313 million in gains on fuel hedge contracts settled during the quarter.

And, as of July 11, 2008, where Delta had the following fuel hedges in place:
Q3 2008 48% $2.94
Q4 2008 46% $3.42
2009 21% $3.48
2010 5% $3.05

I fully concur with Delta Air Lines use of the prevailing “fuel crisis mentality” to facilitate the continued gouging from the unwashed masses AKA, the traveling public.

I salute you with open wallet for your innovative approach to increasing Delta’s bottom line, resulting in a greater than ever bonus package for the Board.

Long live walk on cargo.

A weary but happy traveler,
Robert Toy

regdog
08-25-2008, 04:45 PM
:ROFL::roll::ROFL::roll::ROFL::roll::ROFL::roll::R OFL::roll::ROFL::roll:

nerds
08-25-2008, 05:44 PM
This should seriously be run in, well, something that the masses read. (USA Today is all I can think of at the moment.)

Shadow_Ferret
08-25-2008, 07:02 PM
So... you're upset because a corporation figured out how to make profits during the bad times?

mscelina
08-25-2008, 07:13 PM
Hysterical, Robert. Just hit send.

Robert Toy
08-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Hysterical, Robert. Just hit send.
Sent special delivery, receipt requested to Delta HQ. If nothing else somebody will get a giggle.

When I get a reply, and I know I will, I will post it...:D

Robert Toy
08-25-2008, 09:07 PM
So... you're upset because a corporation figured out how to make profits during the bad times?
Moi, upset?

Not at all, I think it's a clever way of getting some extra bucks...nobody is dumb (read anal) enough to check their fuel status.

Just a slight twitch, the ticket cost $89, the fé&çč bag cost another $50!!!

Mela
08-25-2008, 09:11 PM
That's wonderful!
You should also send it to the association - I think it's the American Aircraft Association?? - something like that, to the director. They've been screaming that high fuel costs are going to bring down aviation - and us with them.

Robert Toy
08-25-2008, 09:24 PM
That's wonderful!
You should also send it to the association - I think it's the American Aircraft Association?? - something like that, to the director. They've been screaming that high fuel costs are going to bring down aviation - and us with them.
I believe you are making reference to the International Airline Passengers Association.

I would rather have fun with a limited tweak the CEO/CFO letter, I would wager that I get my $50 refunded.

regdog
08-25-2008, 11:06 PM
I believe you are making reference to the International Airline Passengers Association.

I would rather have fun with a limited tweak the CEO/CFO letter, I would wager that I get my $50 refunded.

Bet they charge you a $50 complaining fee

Mela
08-25-2008, 11:52 PM

No, not the association for the passengers, the association that represents the airlines
hold, I'll get the correct name ....

lalalalala...

OK. The Air Transport Association of America, Inc. (ATA), the nation’s oldest and largest airline trade association, representing the nation’s leading airlines. airlines.org

Robert Toy
08-26-2008, 12:32 AM
No, not the association for the passengers, the association that represents the airlines
hold, I'll get the correct name ....

lalalalala...

OK. The Air Transport Association of America, Inc. (ATA), the nation’s oldest and largest airline trade association, representing the nation’s leading airlines. airlines.org
Being an ex-airline employee I am familiar with ATA, the last people that will help a passenger is ATA. It is like getting the AMA to help you file a law suit against a doctor.

C A Winters
08-26-2008, 12:36 AM
Readers Digest still around? Perfect for their humor section! :)

soleary
08-26-2008, 12:57 AM
LMAO! I'm sending this to my brother who is a pilot with US Air. They wanted him to fly with less fuel to keep costs down. HUH?

Shadow_Ferret
08-26-2008, 01:00 AM
That's why its known as US Scare.

Writer2011
08-26-2008, 01:04 AM
Sad how all the airlines "claim" they're loosing money yet still turning a profit..hmmm!!!

I worked for Jetblue airways and let me tell you, they'd cancel flights because they weren't full!!! Go figure. And our supervisor got a big bonus is she "saved the company money." Yeah right. That's the exact reason why I quit.

Robert Toy
08-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Sore point – Caution: Mini-rant starting:

I have to side with the airline on their efforts to reduce excess fuel loads. The cost of hauling unneeded fuel around is super expensive.

The argument arises over what is undoubtedly the captain’s prerogative, meaning if he/she is uncomfortable with the dispatch load, which is calculated to take in all factors such as the basic aircraft condition, what if any systems are inoperative or disabled (see MEL below), number of pax, cargo load, weather, alternate airports, etc., and the mandated 45 minute reserve.

Having worked specifically in the airline’s reliability analysis department, I can tell you that ordering additional fuel uploads can be traced to a hand full of pilots who will demand extra fuel in nearly all cases, and may I add…land with the excess fuel. The same holds true for the actual fuel burn figures, some pilots are “speed freaks” and will consistently post fuel burns higher than normal for the route being flown.

Normally the chief pilot is given a gentle heads up that one or more of his/her pilots is either tanker too much fuel and/or pushing the throttles a bit too much.

Egos come into play BIG time and assuming the airline does not want a strike on their hands or misleading scare stories originated by the pilot community, the airline backs off.

The facts, there have been no commercial aircraft that have crashed due to a fuel shortage caused by an incorrect dispatch fuel load. Loss of fuel due to a punctured or leaking fuel component such as piping, connections or damaged falls into a different category

The most notable case of a fuel shortage incident was Air Canada flight 143, which was due to a disabled fuel quantity system and human error (metric vs. imperial).

Hauling unneeded and unused fuel around is expensive, and short of a feel good factor for the pilot adds nothing to the safety of the flight.

* MEL (Aircraft Minimum Equipment List), defines what aircraft systems can be disabled or inoperative, and what other considerations (weather, runway length, pax convenience, etc.) must be taken into account before an aircraft is dispatched.

The difference between God and a pilot?

God knows he is not a pilot.

Robert Toy
08-26-2008, 10:45 AM
Sad how all the airlines "claim" they're loosing money yet still turning a profit..hmmm!!!

I worked for Jetblue airways and let me tell you, they'd cancel flights because they weren't full!!! Go figure. And our supervisor got a big bonus is she "saved the company money." Yeah right. That's the exact reason why I quit.
Yup, it is more common that one would be lead to believe...but NEVER for pax shortage, ALWAYS for technical reasons. As you know it is illegal to cancel a flight for lack of pax.