• Dogs

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • Fish

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Horses/ponies

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Reptiles

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Small exotics (hedgehogs, chins, etc.)

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
I thought it would be fun to see what sorts of companion animals we keep. Take part in the poll, being sure to click on all selections that pertain to you. Then feel free to post their names, ages, and any interesting stuff about them!

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
I clicked on cats and fish because we actually currently have those. Although how those fish are surviving in that tank is beyond me.

I also consider our family dog-owners, although we don't currently have a dog. Haven't replaced our old girl Belle since she died a year ago. Got big plans for a small dog come September.

-paprika

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Pets

We have a domestic shorthair cat named Mystique, and a Maine Coon named Reflection. Both are just over a year old. Mystique was supposed to be named "Wolverine." Then my son learned it was a female cat.

Reflection got his name because when we first saw him he was sitting outside our window, and our kitten was sitting inside. For several minutes we thought Reflection was just that, a reflection of our cat in the window. Then the reflection walked away. You don't see that happen everyday.

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
I live with a ten-year-old basset hound named Howard. I'd really prefer he was a cow, though, a cash cow! He's getting there: one of my personal essays about him was published recently and I have two more dog articles in press.

What else can I say about him? He slobbers. He drools. He gets his ears wet when he drinks and drags "ear tracks" all over the kitchen floor. He snores. He howls. He's a prolific sneezer. He once sneezed so violently he smacked his head against mine, leaving a bruise over my eyebrow. I love him.

Galoot

I am a pretty pretty flower
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thegaloot.blogspot.com
We have six cats until the neighbor kids bring us another wounded one. We're the cat people around here. Tinker, Leon, Becky, Katie, Pilgrim and BBs.

We also have a dog. He has a name, but I don't even type it or he might approach me. I'm not a dog person. Free shipping to anyone who's interested.

And my daughter has a hamster or a guinea pig or a ferret or some kind of rodent. Oh, alright. He's a hamster. All I know is he gets free on occasion and the cats "help us find him."

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Is it true that dog people are usually outgoing and social, and cat people are usually shy and introverted?

Just wondering.

p.s. the only animals on the list I've never had but would want to have are horses. One of these days I would own one or two or three...

Galoot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thegaloot.blogspot.com
maestrowork said:
Is it true that dog people are usually outgoing and social, and cat people are usually shy and introverted?
Maybe, but not in this house. Mrs. G and I are both cat people and she actually leaves the house on occasion. Voluntarily! Is that sick or what?

Galoot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thegaloot.blogspot.com
May I be the first to point out that yet another [size=+1]DOGS VS. CATS NET HOLY WAR!![/size] is unnecessary? Just, you know, before the first shot is fired?

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
The animals directly under our care at this time include:

4 Dogs:

- Chance
- Shilo aka Little Girl
- Shane
- Sassy

2 White Domestic Turkeys:
1 male and 1 female

4 Roosters:
various types

6 Hens:
various types

2 Doves:
1 male and 1 female

5 Pigeons:
2 males and 3 females

1 Pheasant:
male

2 Hamsters:

both female

In addition to the above, we feed the Catfish, Carp, Crappie and Bluegill in our pond. We also have several bird houses and some feeders out for birds.

mudflat_marsh_hawk

Registered
Reaction score
Currently I am accompanied by a pair of zebra finches -- Gavin and Maxwell, named after the author, Gavin Maxwell.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
KTC said:
Yes...that is sick. I'm about as unsocial as one gets and I am a dog person through and through. I don't like cats. Period. (No offense, I know lots of people who love cats, but to me they just seem like back alley one finger saluters. Where's the love?!) I love dogs.

Prejudice. My cats absolutely follow me around and are lovey dovey, but without that breath and clinginess of a dog...

I do like dogs though. Just don't think I can give them enough attention and take care of them adequately. Cats are for lazy people, and I'm as lazy as they come.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
I'm a dog person, with no dog, as I mentioned before. Of course, I also mentioned I have birds, and that's just wrong, so believe what I say at your own discretion.

Now this next part is true. My next door neighbor has five dogs. Weiner dogs. We're in a little suburb, nobody's got any acreage or nothing. I'm talking 6 feet away. Anybody walks past their house, those dogs go OFF. And when five dachsunds get to barking at once, you may not realize this, as I did not, but they sound like a woman going thru a Cruisinart. It's loud and startling. Luckily, the neighbors are very good about silencing the dogs right away -- SHUT UP!! GIT IN HERE!! YOU GIT OVER HEAR WHAT DID I TELL YOU!! etc. easily as loud or louder than the dogs themselves. And if the neighbors aren't home, the dogs will bark the entire day. And night if necessary.

Of course we're not monks over here. When we first moved here my daughter was 5 and since birth, if she has to sleep in a new place, she wakes up screaming in the middle of the night and sometimes can't stop for a good long time. (We're pretty unpopular houseguests.) Or if something scares her in the middle of the night, she screams. Like, five dogs barking and two people hollering just a few feet from her bedroom window, that'll do it. So, things even out.

But wait, there's more. Same neighbor works for the county animal control. That's how he earned our nickname for him: The BoobyTrapper. He keeps a cat-trap in his front yard baited with cat food. It took our cat Gus three times to learn not to go in there. The third time, Neighbor didn't bring Gus back to us. He brought Gus to the pound. And didn't mention it. When we went to pick him up (yes, we paid a fine for having our duly tagged cat be 4 feet from our house) Gus came home with a kitty cold. At that time we had a tiny infant kitty that had lost her mom and was just starting to eat solid food and a rickety old senior kitty. Both of them got the cold too. Can you say, "Vet bills"?

Not long after Gus came home, I was in my front yard when Neighbor drove by. I had to make a decision fast. Are we going on the pretend-they-don't-exist setting, or the pretend-it-never-happened setting? I smiled and waved. His head jolted, he waved back. He has been so freakin' nice to us since. I'm sure he'd still take our cat to the pound if "necessary" (that is, if given the chance) but at least to the extent that he's able, he tries to be pleasant.

-paprika

Cabria

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't like cats (plus allergic). Have a two year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Charley. This breed is super excellent with small children - very tolerant/pleasant dispositions. They are true lap dogs - want to be cuddled and given attention constantly.

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
Oooh! I get to brag about my fur babies!

I have two Doberman Pinschers
I have one Rottweiler
I have a black cat
And I have four foster kittens running around.

I love Dobermans. A lot of people have the wrong impression of Dobes as being aggressive/mean. But they are THE best breed! They are so loyal, protective, loving, sweetest breed you could ever want. Same as my Rott, he is the biggest, friendliest, clumsiest, slobbery clown! He's a monster. HUGE!

All my fur babies are rescues.

I just love them so! :heart: (I want more! Lol..)

celeste

I don't have pictures of my other Dobe yet. We just got her. Film's not developed yet.

So, lets see pictures! Post some pictures of these fur babies you all are telling us about! Come on! I love seeing pictures of others' pets!

Last edited:

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome Dogs Celeste!

I once had a Rottweiler named Angus Santina Van Hawthorn. We lived in the city at that time and many of our neighbors felt afraid of him even tho he never did anything wrong. He was just a massive dog and I guess that's why they were afraid.

Anyway, we ended up allowing a family to take him with them when they moved to a 25 ac. farm. The last we heard is that they began using him for stud service....I figure he was happy with that. ;)

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
Oooh! That's an awesome name you have for the Rott you had! Although, they're all purebred, we don't have their papers because they were rescues.
So, where's your pics of Chance & the gang?! Lol...

Last edited:

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
Oh yeah... I can so relate to having neighbors terrified of my dogs. I just resolved an issue I was having with my neighbors behind me because she was so afraid of my dogs jumping the fence while she'd be in her backyard. They'd never, nor have ever jumped the fence. But she was so darned convinced that they were going to get her one day. Lol...

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Dogs.cats

maestrowork said:

Just wondering.

p.s. the only animals on the list I've never had but would want to have are horses. One of these days I would own one or two or three...

I don't know, but I'm a definite dog person who owns two cats and no dogs. Where does that leave me?

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
I don't know, but I'm a definite dog person who owns two cats and no dogs. Where does that leave me?

James,

I'd say that leaves you needing to buy a dog. ;)

Won't you post a pic of that Maine Coon of yours that you used to tell me about.

Lane02

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theknittinglane.com
I have two guinea pigs that I adore :heart: :heart: . They are super cute!!!!

I also love dogs and would love to get one - but I live in an apartment and would like to wait til I have a yard. LOL :ROFL: I could easily live on a farm with tons of animals!!!

bcg61

Something the cat dragged in
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writing-in-the-sand.com
I have two cats and several fish.

Buddy, my oldest cat, is 9 years old, black & white domestic shorthair. He's very much a cat - comes when he wants, sleeps all day, awake only to eat...

Max however is a catdog. He's 3 years old, and is definitely a dog in cat clothing. He fetches, he 'barks', he comes when he's called, he's friendly (he even licks my face and hands), he greets me at the door when I get home - I think if he could wag his tail he would.

I've written some short stories about his antics but I've never submitted them anywhere.

The fish are, well, fish. Mostly goldfish and a couple of koi who we rescued from my brother's pond (he was getting rid of it) that are living in our aquarium.

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
<-- That's Pancho, my beautiful, precious Orange-winged Amazon parrot. He's twenty-something and a real sweetheart. He's been with me for 14 years.

The little parrot picture I used for my first avatar is Rio, my Blue-crowned conure. I can't believe it, but he's been with me for 18 years! He will be 19 this summer. Such a beautiful little thing; thinks he rules the universe.

And then there's Taffy, my mixed breed doggy. My brother gave her to me when she was a tiny puppy and she will be 13 years old next month.

We also have two large freshwater aquariums. I love to watch them.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
I have five cats:
Turtle
Java
Diablo
Max
Samoa

Two ferrets, Fuzz and Slinky, and an empty fishtank. I don't know why, but I can't keep fish. Give me a month, and they'll be dead.

All the neighborhood cats flock to my yard for some reason, so we keep bird feeders sheerly for the entertainment value :) The birds always win.

We are not dog people (husband recieved a nasty bite as a child), and both of our neighbors have dogs. One has two pit bulls that never go inside and bark all damn day, and anytime someone walks by the house. Why have dogs if they live outside?

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
My wife and I have tropical fish, though only a few have names. The betta is named Fish. The big cory dora is named Big Mama. The rest are too numerous to keep track of and most don't exhibit any unique traits.

Then we have four cats, three females named Jacque, Peepers, and Oscar and one male named Mr. Pitiful.

In the yard, we have at least four frogs named Frog, Other Frog, Another Frog, and Still Another Frog. We can really recognize only the first because it's the largest and it doesn't fear us. Instead, it sometimes comes out of the pond to meet us in hopes that one of us has a bug or earthworm for it. This got started when my son and grandson thought it would be nifty if they could toss a bug to it to see it grab the bug with its tongue and eat. After a few such snacks, the frog apparently decided that people were nifty to have around since it rarely dives into the pond anymore to escape notice.