HELP! green chiles

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I cleaned green chiles with my bare hands. Now they burn like fire. What can I use to get it off?

MM

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
This will sound weird, but try massaging oil on your hands (any cooking oil will do), then washing them with soap. Repeat if necessary. Please let me know how it goes!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A quick google found a suggestion for olive oil, so yeah, I'd try that. Otherwise, any fat should work. Or yogurt or sour creme.

Good luck

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oil worked

Took three times, but the chile fire is gone from my hands. So much for the sign at the store that they were 'mild' chiles. Actually, it was only one of the four that was mucho caliente.

MM

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Milk actually works pretty well, especially whole milk (the fat, again, as suggested). The essential ingredient that makes peppers hot is capsaicin, which is an oil contained mainly in the inner portion of the pepper skin (not in the seeds, as some may think). It is insoluble in water, which is why washing with water doesn't help. Your body's own oils will eventually take care of the problem, but in the meantime,for a few minutes, it's uncomfortable. Particularly if you get in in your eyes.

A swig of milk will also alleviate mouth-fire from peppers. And beats a swig of olive oil.

caw

Last edited:

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bread or tortillas will work better for the mouth fire than milk. Been eating hot food since I was a kid. I just hadn't made it from scratch in a loooong time.

MM

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
According to Alton Brown of Good Eats, fat causes a chemical reaction and loosens the capsaicin that blacbird wrote about. Water won't do anything, like blacbird said. So if you eat anything super hot, drink milk or anything fatty like that to loosen it.

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
In one of THOSE moods. Look out people, no one is
But if you watch the new show on Food with Ted Allen he proved that milk is best to get the capsaicin to release from your taste buds. The texture of bread or tortillas merely distracts your brain from the pain and is terribly temporary. :) Alcohol, pop and water make it even worse, no matter what temperature they are served at.