Are you completely loyal to your genre?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenzie

Registered
Reaction score
Out of curiosity - does anyone here dabble in multiple genres? Do you stick with what you know and love best, does your style naturally fit one genre more so than others, or are you planning to try a few/all of them? If you do genre-hop, is it for the fun of it? Is it to try each of them on, and then will you stick with what fits best? Or do you/would you switch for commercial reasons: if vampire novels are suddenly the hottest thing on the market, would you write a vampire novel when your last work was a detective story?

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I write what I feel comfortable with in line with my tastes, background and knowledge which covers two main genres. Whether I can write well in both remains to be seen as most of my writing to date has been non-fiction/technical. I don't think I would try anything else as my heart would not be in it.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Multiple genres - and I would feel crippled if I was told I had to pick one and stick with it. My interests are not in a single area - and neither is my writing. Puma

Rae22

Registered
Reaction score
I can't seem to separate myself from fantasy. Maybe it's an escapism thing, but I absolutely love writing about a world that doesn't actually exist, and has some kind of magical element in it. I dabbled in a mix of fantasy and science fiction once, but all I got out of it was a short story that has been hidden away, never to be seen again.

As far as writing for commercial reasons, I don't see the point. Sure, urban fantasy is the big thing at one moment. But by the time you've invested a year or so of your time writing your urban fantasy and getting it ready to submit, the trend will have moved on to something else and you'll be back to square one. Better to write something you love, and not worry about what's popular at the moment.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I think I might write genre--hard to tell, though--but I'm not tied to any one of the genres whose elements appear in my stories. I write the stories that come to me, regardless of whether there is magic or romance or what in them.

Riley

They won't let me be good
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really pay attention. But most of my writing is in the science fiction, fantasy, and mainstream genres. I think the only time anyone should really worry about it is when you're working to get published and the publisher wants something specific. If the publisher says they want science fiction with no fantasy elements, that's what they'll get if you want a chance to be published.

Stormhawk

Angry Bunny Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.requirecookie.com
I love my (multi)verse, as it's flexible enough to basically let me do what I want. The main thrust is urban fantasy (though I've had people say that it's more like high fantasy grounded in reality because of some of the themes/events). But it's flexible enough to let me do cyberpunk, and weird pseudo-science Doctor Who style stories.

I've also got a group of characters that are going to turn out more like the cast of a sit-com than anything (albeit one with a diminished god, a girl who likes to blow herself up, a girl who with ghosts following her around, a friendly zombie and a newborn baby), as their main story is more domestic than anything else.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
I began as a die hard sci-fi/fantasy short story writer. But then I branched out to other genres more as a learning experience. Lo and Behold, i'm finding I have a better talent for the other genres, especially humor. I've also found that now when I come back to my genre, I have more depth and can approach things from a unique perspective.

i've written: humor, romance, mystery, suspense, even an erotica (though that made me feel duuuurrrrtttttyyyyy) and of course sci-fi/fantasy. I'm also trying different voices, tenses, etc. and approach the genre hopping as a means to get better.

well, that's me

Mel...

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
My characters decide the genre. Thus far, none of them have been loyal to one.

Ervin

Registered
Reaction score
I have tried some others, but I've found fantasy much easier and more interesting, probably because I have had interest in it far before I began writing seriously, in things such as visual arts and video games.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I write mysteries. For me, the plot seemed easiest to figure out (since it's fairly structured-- solve the crime/case shortly after the climax/ dramatic show down with the bad guy.) But that's just me. And the formulaic nature makes it easier to know when and where to do what. None of my other attempts at conflicts really worked out... =P

Neurotic

Militant apathist
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not fanatically loyal to fantasy. If something pops into my head just begging to be written, I'll dabble. I wouldn't write something just because that was what the market was gagging for though. I get bored too easily. If the story isn't interesting to me I can't force myself to finish it. And wouldn't if I could. I'm not making money from writing, so I'd better be having fun. :)

GatodeCafe

I write flash, which is arguably a "genre", but within my medium, I like to work with all styles, sci-fi, fantasy, mystery, romance, action, adventure, whatever, it don't matter. I don't think I could stick with one style, I'd get bored.

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
I thought I would only write fantasy, but now I also write an occasional SF, and a lot of magic realism. I also write academic non-fiction, and in the future I want to write a non-fic book about design which will be part memoir.

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
Everything I write has a paranormal bent or some kind of weirdness going on, so no matter what genre I'm writing it's in there. I have a couple of published romantic suspenses, one that's centered around a star-worshiping suicide cult ala Heaven's Gate, and the other featuring an enchanted celtic brooch. The urban fantasy my agent is shopping around has some romance in it, but it's really more fantasy. I like to mix it up.

stc

Registered
Reaction score
Dan Simmons is my ideal. Fantasy, horror, mystery [Crook Factory], hard-boiled PI--he's the man. I'm amazed his Joe Kurtz novels aren't more popular.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
My favorite genre is SF but most of my short work ends up reading like an episode of Twilight Zone or Outer Limits.

My other favorite genre is historical. I haven't had the courage to write anything in that yet. I do have a story simmering on the back burner of my large stove that is centered around Hernando De Soto.

I'll use my name for one genre and my initials for the other. If I ever get the courage to write a historical that is.

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be happy to write a traditional suspense or romance or what have you...except every time I consider potential plots, I think, "This would be so much better with a zombie/superhero/telepath in it." True story. :D FWIW, I think genre novels are easier to sell than "mainstream", so I think I'm on the right path if I want to be as commercial as possible.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I have written in fantasy, mystery, thrillers, YA, and soft Sci-Fi. I think the only genre I haven't had the desire to write in has been romance- but never say never!

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think writers should be versatile. I've had a rhyming children's story published, have written a young adult novel and am working on an erotica novel.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
The great thing about writing speculative fiction (my genre of choice) is that it umbrellas so many other genre breakdowns: mystery, thriller, YA, romance, etc... So yep, I'm pretty loyal. :)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I write fantasy, but that's such a huge genre these days, with epic fantasy, sword and sorcery, urban fantasy, and I'd even throw space opera in there, that it's not really limiting.
The great thing about writing speculative fiction (my genre of choice) is that it umbrellas so many other genre breakdowns: mystery, thriller, YA, romance, etc... So yep, I'm pretty loyal. :)
When did they start lumping mystery and romance under speculative? I thought speculative was the umbrella for sci-fi and fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.