• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Need a mentor for memoir about female contractor in Iraq

Status
Not open for further replies.

WishWords

Registered
Reaction score
This is not a tell all, anti-KBR, or overly negative story (I wasn't raped or sexually harassed).

I've been working on this off and on for just over a year. But I'm having trouble finding/keeping the focus of the story. I belong to a critique group and the feedback I've gotten has muddled things quite a bit (some suggest essay style, some suggest chronological story style).

Every time I pick up the manuscript, I get overwhelmed and confused about how to tell the story I really want to tell. Whenever I talk to my critique group I start doubting that I'm telling the right story. I need someone level headed to guide me in organizing the story and advise me on which is the most important story to tell. I'm not looking for a critique at this point.

The manuscript is about 1/3 first draft (with the first chapter in second draft), and the rest is rough draft/notes from my journal. It's a bit of a frustrating mess right now. There is some foul language, erotic situations, emotional turmoil, discussions of drugs, fraud, corruption, really bad behavior, death, and war. There is also romance, recovery, humor, touching situations, and things to be proud of.

Status
Not open for further replies.