PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Dates

Fraulein
08-24-2008, 09:19 AM
My bf and I had coffee/Diet Coke and beignets (http://www.morningcallcoffeestand.com/html/gallery.html) tonight. The Cafe au Lait was perfect with the powdered beignet sugar, and the Diet Coke came in a cute 8oz bottle. Overall, the "date" was fun, cheap, and relaxing. :e2coffee:

I can't remember the last time that we had gone out like that. I feel like we've been missing out.

So... I need some suggestions. Does anyone know of any places or activities that are date-like and economical?

Thanks. :)

We're supposed to be going to this cafe (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=La+Madeline%27s+Metairie,+La&layer=c&ie=UTF8&ll=30.033136,-90.159473&spn=0.109528,0.154495&z=13&cbll=30.009384,-90.159147&panoid=32RDzayVh5FsnmTzx5uigg&cbp=1,319.8292644639624,,0,5) next.

I like the idea of joining the local badminton club. It's a little pricey though.

SPMiller
08-24-2008, 09:20 AM
"Hey, babe. You free? Uh huh. I'm at home. Yeah, come on over. See you soon. Bye."

^ cheap date

Fraulein
08-24-2008, 09:33 AM
"Hey, babe. You free? Uh huh. I'm at home. Yeah, come on over. See you soon. Bye."

^ cheap dateI rather arrange my sock drawer. :tongue

Mumut
08-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Sock drawer arranging is a cheap date, I believe. How about Turkish bread with fresh salad, dried tomatoes, olives - whatever you like - and have it as a picnic in the park or at the beach. Feed the ducks and eels with the crusts and you'll all have a good time.

Bayou Bill
08-24-2008, 02:51 PM
Fraulein, if I was in New Orleans (where I presume you are) a La Madeline would not be my choice for a meal. The food is okay, just okay, and you have to stand in line to order.

Since you seem to have done the Cafe du Monde (the French Market cafe) what about the Acme Oyster Bar? As for a cheap date, shopping (as opposed to buying) in the antique shops along Royal can be fun. If you're into literature, stop by the Faulkner House in Pirates Alley. And my favortie cheap thing to do in NO is riding the streetcar down St. Charles Ave.. There are several places along the way worth a look-see if you feel like stopping.

In any major city, think about art galleries, museums, indy bookstores, coffee shops and small Italian restaurants.

Have fun.

Bayou Bill :cool:

Yeshanu
08-24-2008, 09:08 PM
I second Mumut--picnics are great cheap dates.

Also, I believe that supermarkets also sell dates, and sometimes they put them on sale... :tongue

Bayou Bill
08-24-2008, 11:36 PM
I second Mumut--picnics are great cheap dates.

Also, I believe that supermarkets also sell dates, and sometimes they put them on sale... :tongue
Just make sure they're pitied (or would that be unpitied?). A little candy is swell on a date, IMHO.

Bayou Bill :cool:

maestrowork
08-24-2008, 11:55 PM
I like going to Cold Stone, and then sit at the park. If we share one cup of ice cream, it's even cheaper.

Joe270
08-25-2008, 12:05 AM
When I was in college, we used to go to hotels which had nice indoor pools in the winter time. You could hang out in the pool or hot tub and have a couple beers each.

One hotel even handed out warm towels. Nice.

A good 'cheap date'.

Fraulein
08-25-2008, 12:33 AM
When I was in college, we used to go to hotels which had nice indoor pools in the winter time. You could hang out in the pool or hot tub and have a couple beers each.

One hotel even handed out warm towels. Nice.

A good 'cheap date'.Did you actually stay in the hotel? I've never considered sneaking into a pool. :o

orderandlaw
08-26-2008, 04:28 AM
Museums are always nice.

Seaclusion
08-26-2008, 04:32 AM
Museums are always nice.

I agree. I go to mausoleums all the time.

Richard

Neurotic
08-26-2008, 04:36 AM
I always thought a cheap date was someone with a low tolerance for alcohol. Shows what I know.

Maryn
08-26-2008, 05:35 PM
In Ye Olden Tymes when Mr. Maryn and I were dating, we enjoyed all kinds of cheap dates. They included movie matinees or cheap last-run theatres
going out for ice cream
browsing a used book store
making dinner together, often while sharing a bottle of wine
going to parks for picnics or walks
attending city-league baseball games, even though we didn't know any players
going out into the desert late at night for stargazing and kissy-face
late-night coffee at a busy place, for people-watching
doughnuts at Mrs. Johnson's, still warm at 5:00 a.m.
visiting the local zoo, where I was thrown out not once but twice*

Maryn, who likes zoos anyway

*Do not use a stick to push the apple within the reach of the Malasian sun bear, and never, ever make monkey noises that get the entire gibbon collection screeching. They ought to post these rules!

Shadow_Ferret
08-26-2008, 05:37 PM
A picnic in the park.

Fraulein
08-26-2008, 05:56 PM
In Ye Olden Tymes when Mr. Maryn and I were dating, we enjoyed all kinds of cheap dates. They included
movie matinees or cheap last-run theatres
going out for ice cream
browsing a used book store
making dinner together, often while sharing a bottle of wine
going to parks for picnics or walks
attending city-league baseball games, even though we didn't know any players
going out into the desert late at night for stargazing and kissy-face
late-night coffee at a busy place, for people-watching
doughnuts at Mrs. Johnson's, still warm at 5:00 a.m.
visiting the local zoo, where I was thrown out not once but twice*
Maryn, who likes zoos anyway

*Do not use a stick to push the apple within the reach of the Malasian sun bear, and never, ever make monkey noises that get the entire gibbon collection screeching. They ought to post these rules!
LOL!:ROFL: Those are great!

Fraulein
08-26-2008, 06:00 PM
A picnic in the park.This park (http://neworleanscitypark.com/nobg.html)? ;)

Maybe we can go to the plant sale on the 6th or Martini Madness on the 19th.

tjwriter
08-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Back when gas was cheap, we used to get something cheap to eat and drive around in the country enjoying the summer evenings and the wildlife.

I guess you could do that somewhere on foot, and the price be reasonable. It always gave us a chance to talk, and sometimes you see really neat things.

Shadow_Ferret
08-26-2008, 06:18 PM
This park (http://neworleanscitypark.com/nobg.html)? ;)

Maybe we can go to the plant sale on the 6th or Martini Madness on the 19th.
Well, yes, as long as there are some dry spots to set out a blanket.

maestrowork
08-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Did you actually stay in the hotel? I've never considered sneaking into a pool. :o

You should try. It's fun. Also, sneaking in for their free breakfast.

Now if you can sneak in for a free room, that'd REALLY be a cheap date.

BenPanced
08-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Go to a nice bakery, pick up some croissants, and then head over to your favorite coffee shop to get some coffee. Viola: you can go to the mall and look at jewelry stores and pretend you've invaded the opening credits of Breakfast at Tiffany's. Cheap, fun, and all romannical.

Joe270
08-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Did you actually stay in the hotel? I've never considered sneaking into a pool.

Nope, never stayed there, just went to the pool. We were never asked if we were guests that I can recall. I think, so long as we were buying beer, they didn't care.

I always thought it was odd that they served beer in bottles in the swimming pool area, though. You couldn't take 'em over to the pool or spa, but the tables were mighty close and everyone is barefoot everywhere anyway.

rhymegirl
08-26-2008, 07:58 PM
Back when my husband and I were dating we didn't have the money to go out to movies or dinner.

So we used to pull out the sofa bed and watch movies on HBO. A really cheap date.

Tink
08-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Long, leisurely walks on a quiet country lane.

TrainofThought
08-26-2008, 11:09 PM
wine. naked. bed. In that order. Cheap. Very cheap.

Pagey's_Girl
08-26-2008, 11:40 PM

^ cheap date

Sounds like you know my ex.

Tink
08-26-2008, 11:48 PM
A lightly packed picnic basket, a blanket, a secluded spot and the soft glow of moonlight...

cray
08-26-2008, 11:52 PM
i thought this thread was going to be about auntybug.
:D

TrainofThought
08-26-2008, 11:56 PM
i thought this thread was going to be about auntybug.
:D:Ssh: Or Cray's cologne.

Pagey's_Girl
08-27-2008, 12:27 AM
:Ssh: Or Cray's cologne.

As long as it's not Polo, I can deal. Biggest psycho I ever knew wore marinated in Polo

Mumut
08-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Lately I've been to a couple of book launches put on by local libraries. They provide nice finger food (I once thought finger food was only eaten by canabals), wine for those who like alcohol, and fruit juice/tea/coffee. Take a friend along, hear the author talk too much about the book (which is good because you don't need to buy it then) and it has cost nothing.

I have two local libraries going to do it for my book - but I'm not going to say to much about the story!