translation please

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a speech about toilets. Don't laugh, I am. No, go ahead and laugh, it's supposed to be humorous. Anyway, I'd like to know the word for toilet in a few other languages, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, any American Indian tribe, etc. Since this is for a speech, and will not be seen, please write it phonetically for me. You can write it correctly also, but I need to know how to pronounce it.

Thanks.

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Donkey, I didn't even think of that, and my aunt is Hawaiian, sheesh. You reminded me, don't the English (those people living in England) call it the loo? Appreciate your help.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
The English call it the loo, the bog (usually men), the lavatory (usually older or wealthy "posh" people) the smallest room or simply the toilet, which is how it is signed in public places.

Symphony

Registered
Reaction score
In Spanish it's 'el lavabo' - pronounced el lah-bah-boh.

In French, it's 'la toilette' - pronounced 'lah twah-lett)

In German it's 'klo' - pronounced 'clo'

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Russian is tualyet, with the stress on the "ye". I'm not quite sure if this link will work, but you can hear it here.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
Great fun, priene, I'm wetting myself here so Russian to the tualyet.

Can't work out how to translate to different languages, but I got "Willie Wonker is a wanker" in several different accents.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Great fun, priene, I'm wetting myself here.

Can't work out how to translate to different languages, but I got "Willie Wonker is a wanker" in several different accents.

Veelli oo-onkyer - wanker

Somehow, I'm reminded of that Blackadder scene where Doctor Johnson produces the manuscript of his dictionary, and the first thing Baldrick does is look up swear words.

If you want translation, click on the languages next to "Online Translator". Paralink is also pretty good.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
STOPPIT!

Only the Russian managed the full sentence, except she thinks it's a winker. All the others only said the last word, and my fav was the Portuguese bloke.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
Good effort by the Japanese chick, but the others obviously don't speak question mark.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm in love with the Chinese woman. She sounds sensual even when she's telling me my sense of humour sends a cold spasm down her colon.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
Good effort by the Japanese chick, but the others obviously don't speak question mark.

Odd. Hubbie's puter shows the Japanese script, but mine displays a row of question marks.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
That'll be your install fonts. Different systems have different font sets installed. Your web browser's not finding a font that will display the Japanese characters properly.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I thought the Spanish version was excusado.

"Excusado" is used in Mexico and other places in North and Central America, but not in Spain. (Or in Argentina and Venezuela, although I imagine people in touristy locales would know what you meant.)

In Spain, one says "el bano" (with a tilde over the n, but I don't know how to do it) or "los servicios" (in a public place) or "el aseo."

Or "el water" but that's the Spanish equivalent of "john" or even "crapper" in US English.

Phil DeBlanque

Registered
Reaction score
Brazilian Portuguese, from the Polite to rude

Toalete – to-ah-leh-tea.
Banheiro – Ban-eh-eeeroo (by far, the most common)
Vaso Sanitário – Vah-soo San-ee-tah-ree-oh (or simply Vah-soo)
Casinha – Ka-zee-nyah (more used in rural areas)
Patente – Pah-ten-tea
Privada – Pree-vah-dah

Oberon

Registered
Reaction score
Isn't it also "water closet" in the UK? I recall an urgent search down a hotel corridor in New Zealand. I thought "W.C." was a janitor's closet.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
Brits don't say water closet. They say:toilet, lavatory, lav, karsi, bog, loo.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The throne room, the crap house, the crapper...and in naval slang it's the 'head' -don't know why.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
in naval slang it's the 'head' -don't know why.

I think it's got something to do with the crap receptacle being put at the head of the ship so waves washing over the bow cleaned it.

Leva

Registered
Reaction score
For Spanish, I generally hear it called el bano (with the tilde, I also don't know how to do that) here, where most people speak Northern Mexican/Southwestern US spanglish. De donde es el bano?

(Slang's funny. What you learn in the text books and how it's actually spoken are SO different sometimes, and it's so regional. I was taught in school never to call 'milk' simply 'leche' or a bathroom a 'bano' because they were both very rude uses. But everyone here uses those words even in fairly polite company. On the flip side, calling eggs 'huevos' if you're not careful how you phrase it may get massive snickers.)

-- Leva